You knew this was coming

Hope this natural gas ban doesn't make it to the east coast.

Speaking of a ban, I am sure the natural producers would raise a stink in the form of lawsuits.

Aww guys, you'd like it out here; you even get to have to ask for a straw everytime you order a soft drink now

Aww guys, you'd like it out here; you even get to have to ask for a straw everytime you order a soft drink now

Brian, lived in So Cal from 1963 to 2002 Garden Grove, Huntington Beach and El Toro / Lake Forest and all three of our kids still live there. It was great growing up there, but no way could I afford or would I want to live there now. Bumper to bumper traffic nearly 24/7, toll road charges of $23 to go less than 2 miles! The average home price of almost $500,000 (all of California). My daughter just sold their home in HB for just south of $800,000 $20K over asking price, a 1960s track home all of 1400 square feet, five miles from the beach. The house we sold in Lake Forest in 2002 for 500K just resold for 1.3 million.
No Thanks. I'll stay in the mountains of Arizona. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to enjoy So Cal when it was really a fun place to live.

Last edited:
Aren't you glad you're retired Bob? I mean being in the trades, when did you ever call a manhole something else it wasn't?
I filed my papers, will be done in three months. Love my job, but can't deal with all these suits telling me what I can or can't say.

Tim

Good for you!

More California communities are considering new building codes that require new home construction to be all-electric, since we're getting more and more renewable electric energy from solar and wind out here in the West and there's a concerted effort to promote electricity over NG. There's no requirement to rip NG out of existing homes. It does suggest a switch to an induction cooktop in order to get performance similar to a NG cooktop. The more people get exposed to induction, the more they find it superior to regular electric or gas cooktops, and prices are coming down on induction ranges. Our next cooktop will be induction, for sure.

Anyway, it's all part of the fun of living in California. My advice, though, is to keep your mouth shut about what a great place you live in, because when Californians find out, they'll be moving there in droves and ruin your little piece of paradise. Ask the folks in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and beyond! :D

Anyway, it's all part of the fun of living in California. My advice, though, is to keep your mouth shut about what a great place you live in, because when Californians find out, they'll be moving there in droves and ruin your little piece of paradise. Ask the folks in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and beyond! :D

So true Chris, so true.

More California communities are considering new building codes that require new home construction to be all-electric, since we're getting more and more renewable electric energy from solar and wind out here in the West and there's a concerted effort to promote electricity over NG. There's no requirement to rip NG out of existing homes. It does suggest a switch to an induction cooktop in order to get performance similar to a NG cooktop. The more people get exposed to induction, the more they find it superior to regular electric or gas cooktops, and prices are coming down on induction ranges. Our next cooktop will be induction, for sure.

I brew on induction. It is awesome.

The problem with wind and solar is it needs backup. The backup is usually electric produced in coal fired power plants. Not exactly the cleanest backup plan...

The problem with wind and solar is it needs backup. The backup is usually electric produced in coal fired power plants. Not exactly the cleanest backup plan...
We've got a lot of NG-fired power plants here in the West as backup. There are days here in California that we generate so much excess solar/wind energy that we have to pay Arizona to take it. Literally true. The great hope is coming up with a reliable storage technology for solar/wind energy. There's a lot of interesting and innovative work going on in that area.

We have a lot of wind generation in Oklahoma. But the problem with wind, is ya get a lot of generation when ya don't need it, and very little when we do.

April is the big month for wind, but our usage in April is at its lowest.

In July, in most summers, we get our hottest days due to high pressure systems that settle in over the area, and there's very little wind with these systems. When its 100+ degrees, and everyone is running their A/C , the wind turbines aren't moving much.

Wind is very expensive .

We've got a lot of NG-fired power plants here in the West as backup. There are days here in California that we generate so much excess solar/wind energy that we have to pay Arizona to take it. Literally true. The great hope is coming up with a reliable storage technology for solar/wind energy. There's a lot of interesting and innovative work going on in that area.

That’s awesome! The part about NG ...not having to pay... oh never mind. That’s awesome!

That's so true Chris, but you left out Arizona, there are 26 houses on our street, 19 of the home owners came from California. There are 1300 homes under construction here and most have been sold before construction will be completed in October. Another 3000 homes are planed for next year. Crazy!

Yeah my cousin had been in living near Las Vegas but then his company transferred him to So Cal. He built a new house there but he hated it. He took another job in Washington State and is sooo happy to be out of the People's Republic of California. LOL

Back