You can call me Josh Dekubber!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well, not really, because the real @Josh Dekubber gets freebies and outrageous deals seemingly every week! But this was a good score for me:

Seller had an intact Q3200 for sale for 13 weeks, finally marking it down to $50. His first problem was that it was a NG model. Nothing wrong with natural gas, but it definitely cuts the potential market. Also, I tend to think of even the "Big Q" as something you can move around vs. a larger metal grill that seems more appropriate anchored to a NG line.

Anyway, after @Bruce gave me the bodies and some internals for two Q300 grills, I ordered a new LP manifold for one. Just then Bruce found another LP manifold which he very kindly sent to me. (I think he is TRYING to get away from Qs!) So, now I had 3 LP manifolds, and that NG Q3200 started looking a lot more appealing:

Sellers Picture.jpg

So, I looked in my saved section on FaceBook Marketplace - not there! I was pretty positive that I saved it. Then, I did all kinds of searches, all to no avail. Oh well, I guess it sold and the seller deleted the ad. But then, I looked on my PC and found that I still had the tab for that Q open. It was still there???!!! I figured why not and messaged the seller. "Heck yeah, it's still here! You can just have it for free. Come and get it!"

I don't understand the workings of FBM. Even though this happened to work out to my advantage, I find it annoying how things you are looking for can appear and disappear. I especially find it aggravating that FBM ignores your search parameters and shows you stuff like Charbroil grills when you ask for Weber. I have said it a number of times, but it is a shame that OfferUp - a much better buy/sell site - has been reduced to irrelevance by the Zuckerberg juggernaut.

I got the grill unloaded today. No, it is not perfect, but everything is there, even the warming rack which is always gone, and the screen which though not attached has all four of its tabs intact - an uncommon find. The warming rack is probably too rusty to redeem, but it said something that it was there.

BEFORE - Dirty rusty grates.JPEG

The starter doesn't seem to work nor does the handle light which has warped to leave an opening for moisture.

BEFORE - Handle light with warping.JPEG

This Q3200 has the earlier Weber grates with the shiny porcelain coating that I despise. You can see why:

BEFORE - Closeup of rusty grate.JPEG

I might still use this grate for myself for a while if I can get the rust off and season the exposed metal.

From recently getting away from Qs I suddenly have THREE! One will be a gift for a family at our church that could really use it. Another will be sold, and the third I will probably keep. I think it will be this newer Q3200. I like its style! Haven't cooked on a 3200 in years, so it will be fun to try again. Back in Florida, my previous Q3200 (sold) did some great cooks for me:

IMG_4257.JPEG

IMG_4435.JPEG

Q3200 grilling chicken at night.jpeg

Nice one

There is some rust on them. But it does not look to bad from the toilet I'm sitting on. How do you clean them? Some vinegar bath and brush with a power tool?
That is pretty much what I expect to do. I might be able to get by with just a hand wire brushing. Then cook in the oven with some Blackstone seasoning that I have. Eventually, more porcelain will start chipping off, though, and when that happens, I will probably give up on these. It is either that or major grinding to remove all the porcelain that touches food and make these essentially into uncoated cast iron. That's where a new set sounds a lot easier!

I was never a fan it the full size clam shells, but I loved my portable, which I unearthed today. It’s been in hiding for probably 10 years. I’ve found some really cool stuff in my garage, my wife says we’re not bringing it, but the fact is: I’m not so sure I’m bringing her 😂

I have some new grates for Q series Weber.
QuliMetal on the left Soldbbq store on the right.
QuliMetal was on sale for $32.99 now $42.99 Soldbbq store are still on sale for 50% off $17.48.
The QuliMetal was just barely by a small margin better quality. They were very very similar though. QuliMetal packaging was much better which resulted in less scrapes and scratches and they were also a little bit smooth with nicer finish but just barely. Time will tell which one will Outlast the other. If I had to guess they would be pretty similar but I will be donating or selling them in grills so I won't find out. I would recommend save yourself some money and get the $17 ones. Normally I will always go for the nicer better product but in this instance it's hard to justify or even tell which one is better.
20241014_104031~3.jpg
I also compared the smaller grates both made by Weber. An older matte finish grate and a newer shiny finish grate both in new condition. I cooked on them both a couple times so I can see which one cleaned easier and the newer shiny one was way easier to clean. Because of finish and design. The ridges on the new shiny ones are not very high so they're easy to clean between. Also on this comparison I have no idea which one will last longer.
20241014_103058~2.jpg20241014_103232~2.jpg

I worked on my Q 1000 today. It's one of two grills I'm rehabbing as options to donate to my sister-in-law. Other option will be one of my 2200s.

I didn't finish it but it's close. Just waiting on a gas fitting for my regulator delete also waiting for a temp gage that I'll install in the lid.

Cleaned everything and repainted the outside of cook box. Also added side tables. The white walls on the cart were damaged so I just removed them completely.

I picked this grill and cart up for free on Saturday.
It also came with a free full tank of propane.

20241015_132340~2.jpg20241015_132408~2.jpg20241015_125827~2.jpg20241015_125737~2.jpg20241015_115224~2.jpg

I worked on my Q 1000 today. It's one of two grills I'm rehabbing as options to donate to my sister-in-law. Other option will be one of my 2200s.

I didn't finish it but it's close. Just waiting on a gas fitting for my regulator delete also waiting for a temp gage that I'll install in the lid.

Cleaned everything and repainted the outside of cook box. Also added side tables. The white walls on the cart were damaged so I just removed them completely.

I picked this grill and cart up for free on Saturday.
It also came with a free full tank of propane.

View attachment 101976View attachment 101977View attachment 101980View attachment 101978View attachment 101979
Looks fantastic! Love the q, great little cooler

Back