Yak'in it up for lunch!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I took a stroll down memory lane just cruising through old posts, and stumbled across the great TVWBB Yakitori Spring/Summer of 2014. Not sure why, but there were a whole host of folks who were cheffing up Yakitori (@James Lake, and @Mildo leading the pack) in that timeframe, and I just happened to have some bonless/skinless thighs needing to be cooked.

I whipped up a version of Mildo's Yakitori marinade (soy, sake, rice wine, sugar, garlic, ginger) and let some cubed up chicken soak overnight. I skewered the chicken up late this morning, then cooked them on the Summit Platinum running @ about 410F by the hood therm. Basted and turned every 3-4 minutes, and they were done in about 15.

1646251622553.jpeg

Served up with some rice, and fruit (after the stare from my wife) :)

1646251636911.jpeg

Super easy, really tasty, and ought to be made more often! I might soak longer the next time, or ditch the low sodium soy (I hate that stuff.....accidental buy that we're working through.)

Rich

Looks good Rich. Funny I was the last one who posted on that forum on 7/25/18. Had a lot of fun with those challenges and some cool recipes came out of that. Always wondered why Chris didn't remove it as no one posted on for just about 4 years.
Barb and I were talking about making some yakitori, like you said simple to make and really good.

There certainly a lot of folks on here now that weren't members back in 2018. It's an easy cook and so many variations to it it's almost endless in the possible combinations.

How about we start this the way @JimK started this back in 2014, as an ALS-like challenge. (https://tvwbb.com/threads/the-yakitori-challenge.54338/)

JimK said:

"Simply cook yakitori chicken and post pics. Then, call out 2 TVWBB members to do the same."

Since @Rich G authored this thread, Rich please choose two TVWBB members and we'll go from there.

I would personally like to see a friendly @Barb D and @Rich Dahl showdown. ;)

Last edited:
How about we start this the way @JimK started this back in 2014, as an ALS-like challenge. (https://tvwbb.com/threads/the-yakitori-challenge.54338/)

JimK said:

"Simply cook yakitori chicken and post pics. Then, call out 2 TVWBB members to do the same."

Since @Rich G authored this thread, Rich please choose two TVWBB members and we'll go from there.

I would personally like to see a friendly @Barb D and @Rich Dahl showdown. ;)
I like it......I'll post up a new thread (maybe in just conversation?) Now.....who to pit against each other for round 1?!?! :)

@Chris Allingham, you cool with this? Thoughts on how to do it? PM me if you feel the need, otherwise, I'll just throw up a thread in Just Convo and we'll see if it goes anywhere??

R

Back