WSM's have an advantage over the big smokers??

Rusty Breaux

TVWBB Fan
So i competed in this little event last weekend and was parked aside a pull rib with a massive smoker, and i have to admit i was a little jealous. We were setup with my 18.5 WSM and 2 BGEs.

Over the day I watched them cooking on the one big cooker, and everything was cooking around 225* from what the guy said. We were cooking brisket at 260, ribs at 230, and shoulder at i think 250. I know the temp differences arent THAT big, but a brisket at 230 compared to 260 is a huge jump for me.

My question: If you dont include the advantage of pure space of the big cookers, wouldnt it be an advantage to show up w/ 3 or 4 WSMs and cook each meat differently? dont have to worry about rotating meats, adjusting cooking style for the temp of the cooker, can open the cookers without worrying about effecting the other meats. Maybe im overthinking the ease of having one big cooker, but just something that has been running through my head since the weekend.

Thoughts?

rb

Most smokers have temperature differences that the cook can use to their advantage. It's a matter of knowing your cooker.
I can cook all 4 meats (KCBS) on a FEC100 or I can use my Hunsaker drums and WSMs, one for each meat.

You have 3x the fires to tend to while they had one. I'm definitely not a competition person and I know a lot of folks have gadgets to assist with temps but I think that would stress me out a little trying to get good steady temps on 3 smokers.

I think it just depends on your preferences.

I don't know that having separate temperatures for each meat is that big an advantage, except for maybe chicken. I think fire management on one unit would be simpler but if you use ATC's that negates that disadvantage. I can say ATC's aside a WSM is much easier to regulate temp on than a stick burner. Also unless you just do something horribly wrong you won't oversmoke your meat. I say all this having never competed. All cookers are going to have advantages/disadvantages.

I'm with Marcus, I'd be stressed out enough managing one heat source. I'm a hobbyist not professional or competitor by any stretch. I have won a couple of cooking contests but, they were "friendly competition" at most.

Greg: Good point about the different zones on the big smokers with different temps. I hadnt thought about that. And the fire management would definitely be something that would have to be looked into for sure with multiple smokers.

Any thoughts about the different woods that can be used if different smokers are used? I like Post Oak for brisket, but have never tried it on pork. I dont think it would make THAT much difference, but just another thought.

PS.. not tryign to say having the big smoker is a bad thing, I have plans in the future to get into one of those, im just thinking outloud.

rb

I have not used one - but I could make an educated guess:

All that space may allow them to cook A LOT more meat - which could allow for more "picking and choosing" of the finished product / what they turn-in for comps that allow that

The Thermal Mass of those large smokers (all of that METAL) can add STABILITY - keeps temperature fluctuations to a minimum
My guess is that the teams who use those big smokers are using some sort of "zone cooking" - where they only really need to manage a single heat source (Firebox):
-Areas that are higher in the cooking chamber / closest to the Firebox or chimney, where airflow converges = naturally run hotter
-Areas that are lower in the cooking chamber / farther away from the firebox / airflow would naturally = a bit less hot

In the end - is this REALLY an advantage? I would not speculate.

Like others have said: "Knoweth thou thine smoker, and this shalt leadest thou to true righteousness..."

Last edited:
I competed with relative success for years with a WSM I bought new, a 10 year old used one, and a knockoff kettle for chicken. The beauty of KCBS comps are that it all comes down to 6 pieces of meat in a box - the playing field is level regardless of equipment.

Big trailer mounts are certainly impressive looking, but for competition purposes thanks to the Minion Method the WSMs are WAY lower fire maintenance regardless of how many you're running. The competitor using WSMs has tons of time to meet new friends and visit with old ones over the weekend. Huge advantage in my books.

Just look what Harry Soo has done with WSM's. Don't compete and don't want to but still love to cook. Bob is spot on in that it is the pitmaster not the pit. The pit is just a tool like any other tool. You need to know how to use it properly to get good results.

Besides it's more fun watching the little guy beat the big guy !

Also, and most importantly... It's the Pitmaster, Not the Pit !

Ok.. so i DID kinda enjoy getting some of those "u won brisket on that weber??" comments and looks.. :)

Though it would be fun figuring out how to get all that meat on and off of a cooker w/ a few different temp zones... a whole new thing to obsess over..

rb

Bob - I've noticed you mention Mr. Soo frequently. His mentorship must have had quite an effect on you.

Mr. Minion did the same for me a generation ago and I've never forgotten it.

Why no interest in cooking for sport? You certainly seem to have the chops for it.

I, like quite a few others on this forum have taken Harry's class and it has caused me to try and up my game quite a bit. Not only has it improved my cooking, but my attitude about other area's of our lives that BBQ can effect. Not only do we get better food but through that we can influence others around us. Between that class and this forum, I have come a long way in just 3 years. As for competing, it could be fun but not for me. By back does now limit some activities and have to still work so that does come into play. I am also on call 24/7/365 since I own the company and am now the only employee. Thanks for the compliment about having the chops for it. Just being in the kitchen for the prep work can be painful but since I love to do it I ignore the pain as much as possible and just have fun.

I should also point out that Harry gives a seat in his class about once a year for a drawing (twice this year) and I was fortunate enough to win one of those drawings this year.

You can check this link for my post about the class.

Bob - I've noticed you mention Mr. Soo frequently. His mentorship must have had quite an effect on you.

Mr. Minion did the same for me a generation ago and I've never forgotten it.

Why no interest in cooking for sport? You certainly seem to have the chops for it.

I, like quite a few others on this forum have taken Harry's class and it has caused me to try and up my game quite a bit. Not only has it improved my cooking, but my attitude about other area's of our lives that BBQ can effect. Not only do we get better food but through that we can influence others around us. Between that class and this forum, I have come a long way in just 3 years. As for competing, it could be fun but not for me. By back does now limit some activities and have to still work so that does come into play. I am also on call 24/7/365 since I own the company and am now the only employee. Thanks for the compliment about having the chops for it. Just being in the kitchen for the prep work can be painful but since I love to do it I ignore the pain as much as possible and just have fun.

I should also point out that Harry gives a seat in his class about once a year for a drawing (twice this year) and I was fortunate enough to win one of those drawings this year.

You can check this link for my post about the class.

I had a copy Mr Soo's "BBQ Wisdom of Harry Soo" and his competition checklist in my backpack this weekend. I have read MOST of his stuff around and its been a HUGE help working w/ the WSM. LOVE his story about winning grand champion with ONE 14" weber.. :)

rb

I haven't taken Harry's class, but have been in two classes that he was also in attendance.I got the impression,like me he is interested in learning techniques from teams that use other cookers besides the WSM.

Last edited:
Not only has it improved my cooking, but my attitude about other area's of our lives that BBQ can effect. Not only do we get better food but through that we can influence others around us.

I love this. I've often said it's not about the cooking, it's about cooking for people. Without BBQ and the associated community my introversion and social anxiety would have me living in a very small world indeed.

EDITED TO ADD: I don't know the nature of your back troubles, but at 6'4" the best thing I ever did for my back was putting little legs on a huge butcher block to raise my prep surface so I could stand straight and work. Don't know if it will help in your case, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited:
I'm 6'2" and I cannot agree more about making ANYTHING a comfortable working height! A buddy used to host a big (100+) end of summer birthday party and the first year I helped, he set up a work table and I went over to see how it felt. "Too low, I like 38" for height" we made adjustments and for four years we used the setup with no back problems. I have jacked up my kitchen board height and if I work at someone else's place, after half an hour, I'm not so comfortable. If you make it comfortable the more fun it is.
When I'm at the cottage, I'm working on a "stock" height 22, next year, I will raise the height a bit for the week.

5'8" and overweight. Back issues are from work and more recently and auto accident 5 years ago. Used to be every now and then, but now is everyday. When I am doing prep work in the kitchen, I have a stool that helps but only so much. Can't pick up my grand daughter anymore but play with her regularly. Still work when there is work since I own the business and am now the only employee. All that to say, we do what we have to do and deal with it. Love cooking and am taking over more dinners since my wife still works and I am home more. I love doing it and it makes her happy. When I am able to get my outside BBQ are built, I will make it user friendly and keep having fun.

I totally love to cook for others and see the looks on their faces when they have the food I prepare. That is pure joy and will override the pain any day. The pleasure far outweighs the pain. BBQ is about relationships not just the food. Even when I am not happy with the results, others are and that makes even the disasters ok.

I totally love to cook for others and see the looks on their faces when they have the food I prepare. That is pure joy and will override the pain any day. The pleasure far outweighs the pain. BBQ is about relationships not just the food. Even when I am not happy with the results, others are and that makes even the disasters ok.

This I have to get better at. I find it very hard to shut off my competitor's worldview, so when we have family or close friends for dinner I catch myself completely missing out on the company and conversation because I'm mentally running a checklist of things I could/should have done better. I hold myself to ridiculous standards.

Truly sorry to hear of your setbacks, however I am certain your winning attitude will prevail.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Rusty - Holy thread drift!

Darren, I don't consider it a setback, just an inconvenience. I can still work and do what I need to do. At 67 I figure I have another 20 to 30 years to enjoy so not a big deal. As for holding yourself to a higher standard, that is a good thing. Just remember that when you have family and friends over and are sharing your cooking, they are just happy to see you and socialize. The food is an added benefit and for you, they should be your focus. My wife and I are working out a system where when we are having guests, we do as much as possible the day before so we can enjoy our guests and aren't worn out. The things what I am cooking on the day of, I try to get others involved so they can get a better idea of what I am doing and how they could learn to do it themselves. That can be a lot of fun.

Back