Harry Soo's Slap Yo' Daddy's BBQ Class

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
Harry Soo's Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ Class.

Last Saturday I had the privilege of attending Harry's class at his home in Diamond Bar, Calif. I had the good fortune of winning my seat in the class from the drawing on this wonderful forum. Special thanks to both Harry and Chris. It was a wonderful day filled with great food and so much knowledge and info that I would love to go again. The class is that good. You learn a lot of head knowledge but more importantly, that BBQ is all about love. Harry explains that the reason mom's cooking is so good is that she cooks with love. He reminds us that if we put love into our cooking we will produce a better product. r>

Harry covered many aspects of BBQ.
Food Safety
Rubs, Sauces, and Injections
Trimming and Seasoning
Cooking many different types of meats
Smoke Woods
Starting a fire
And so much more

In my class we had three different family units attending and the furthest person came from North Carolina. We also had people from Oregon and Arizona. The rest were from SoCal. The many snacks we had during the class were prepared by Harry's helpers and they were delicious. Examples are pig candy, ABT's, Sous Vide Korean-style Shortribs, Smoked Grilled New Zealand Lamb Lollipops.

Harry is a very nice guy and shows class and caring for others. My wife and I stayed at a hotel the previous night and when I asked Harry what time to have my wife pick me up, he told me to have her come early and enjoy the lunch we were about to have. She was blown away by the flavors and deliciousness of the food.

20160618_142211_zpsm9yb6tkl.jpg

The class

IMG_6191_zpsa9tstkip.jpg
Harry and I

IMG_6190_zpsuhni8neo.jpg
Some of the best brisket I have ever had!! Check out that smoke ring!
IMG_6188_zpsrvjjfn1u.jpg
Harry preparing the burnt ends. They were fabulous!

IMG_6183_zpsoigbp0fl.jpg
Lunch, what more needs to be said.

IMG_6178_zpsi2rwbhtz.jpg

Harry preparing the Ahi Tuna.

IMG_6173_zps5tkdn49i.jpg
Brisket on the WSM

IMG_6168_zpsnkot2hba.jpg

Harry demonstrating the setup on the WSM.

IMG_6159_zpsz6bzmfil.jpg
Chicken and TriTip

I could keep adding pictures but there are so many already.

To close out, I had a totaly awesome time and learned a lot. My next post will be of my homework assignment. Each student is required to do a cook within two weeks of the class. I will do mine a week from this Saturday with many family members. My wife is calling it my redemption cook to make up for my major fail about two weeks ago. Everyone seemed to like the PP and spares, but I messed up a lot on that cook.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I would definitely recommend this class to anyone who wants to up their game. This class is worth every penny.

I absolutely loved his class! I took it even before I purchased a smoker; I'd have so much more better questions now. lol

Good stuff!

Johnny

You should think about taking it again. Harry said that many people take it again. I know I will think about it in a year or to. How long ago did you take it?

You should think about taking it again. Harry said that many people take it again. I know I will think about it in a year or to. How long ago did you take it?

Yeah there were 2 guys who had taken it previously in my class. I'd consider taking it again in the future but I'm getting great experience right now helping out a catering company (The Smoking Ribs restaurant owner). Kenny was actually a student and now friend with Harry so I know I'm in good hands. :wsm:

I took it this year 1-16-16.

I actually want to take a class provided at the Woodshed, next.

You are right Tony, I was very lucky and blessed. When I told my wife that I had won the seat in the class, she told me that she had been thinking about talking to our daughters about giving me the class for Father's Day. You should email Harry and see if he well be giving the class in Europe in the future.

Bob.
I am green with envy, but in a good way. You lucky so-and so. :)
Maybe one day.

That class had to have been a real game changer upper ! Thanks for the report & sharing the pix.

Very happy for you Bob! That had to be an eye opening experience with the master of Q leading the class. Thanks for sharing the great story and pictures.

It was Robert. Been smoking meat for a few years but this should step up my game a lot. Once I have ribs mastered, I will be looking at other ways to do things that up until now I have only done on the Performer or gasser. Harry made quite a few things on a gasser but used smoke on it also. Gives a whole new approach to the experience.

You and Barb should consider taking the class. We had a married couple in this class as well as other family units. And we also had someone from Arizona. I know you two would have a great time.

Very happy for you Bob! That had to be an eye opening experience with the master of Q leading the class. Thanks for sharing the great story and pictures.

I will have to start saving for this.. Saving up for a 20% down payment for a house currently.. But since my wife likes Bbq it won't be too hard to convince her... I hope lol!

Back