WSM vs Summit Kamado

I hear what you are saying & it seems to usually apply more to people who are just getting into this arena. A lot of us on this forum as well as other forums have several grills & smokers, it is almost an obsession, space, we will find it it eventually.
As you can tell by my signature line, I have a full case of weberitus.

OK...I watched (a good portion) of the video ( rarely watch an entire YT video start to finish...).
Too many variables to have a quality comparison, especially with no water in the pan on WSM and horrible weather conditions.
I would also just use S&P if doing a test like this, keep it simple as possible.

I have never used a WSK, but I do have an 18 WSM. I have used it less and less, mainly due to the cleaning and how low to the ground I need to get to operate the smoker (I'm 6'4). It does put out a good product but I find myself going back to my Performer and just doing snake method smokes or other indirect smokes using a basket. I get great wood flavor and it is easier to operate and cleanup is easy. Holding temps in the 250-280 range on the Performer is very easy.

I believe that the grill you use the most will be the one you get the best and most consistent results with, whatever that may be.

A WSK could be on my list in the future and I would be open to ditching the WSM at that point.

Wine tasting.........is that like my beer tasting????
Like you need to make sure each bottle taste good just in case????
You wouldn't want to give a friend a bad one or anything.
Wine tasting is going to a winery and finding wines worth buying and adding to your collection. It’s hard work, actually. You have to drink and taste lots of wine to find what you want to own and drink over time. Trust me on this. Over 350 bottles in my current collection.

Wine tasting is going to a winery and finding wines worth buying and adding to your collection. It’s hard work, actually. You have to drink and taste lots of wine to find what you want to own and drink over time. Trust me on this. Over 350 bottles in my current collection.
Yeah I'm just messin with yah.......I know a guy....he's an odd duck but does well the things he likes.
He likes smoked food, so he built a " shed " I would call it but its like a smoke house, where he smokes many pounds at a time hanging like bacon ect....he does the same with is alcohol..be it wine which he really like and bourbons...ect.
I think he has a bunch of boxes of the same wine and in total they total about 33% of what I paid for my house way back.....it's pretty insane.

Yeah I'm just messin with yah.......I know a guy....he's an odd duck but does well the things he likes.
He likes smoked food, so he built a " shed " I would call it but its like a smoke house, where he smokes many pounds at a time hanging like bacon ect....he does the same with is alcohol..be it wine which he really like and bourbons...ect.
I think he has a bunch of boxes of the same wine and in total they total about 33% of what I paid for my house way back.....it's pretty insane.
Now that’s a cool friend.

You’ve seen my beer skills. German wheat beer and coors lights with some Mexican beers sprinkled in. Beer is good. Wine is more fun.

A smokehouse would be more fun. But I’d get tossed out of my ‘hood if I did that. Too suburban of an area.

My WSK cooks have generated neighbors interest enough times with a “hey I’ve been smelling that. What ya making?”

Then I feel obligated to share some of the cook.

You’ve seen my beer skills. German wheat beer and coors lights with some Mexican beers sprinkled in. Beer is good. Wine is more fun.

A smokehouse would be more fun. But I’d get tossed out of my ‘hood if I did that. Too suburban of an area.

My WSK cooks have generated neighbors interest enough times with a “hey I’ve been smelling that. What ya making?”

I understand the neighbor thing. I used to share then they moved.....3 houses down the woman of the house ran into someone I work with and her words were " the smells coming from his house drives us crazy " ..... I took that as a big compliment.
The people that moved, she was a health nut and he was an ex trucker.....they were only together a year....and he was adapting to her diet.
The look on his face when I would knock on the door with a small plate of fresh off the smoker meats was all it took for me to keep doing it.

We broke up with our new friends a couple properties down when we found out that they were vegans.
To be honest, it would be more accurate to say that they dumped us when they found out I killed and ate things from our Bay and that we enslaved bees.
FTFF’s

Neighbor across the road always asks what I'm cooking when he sees me getting the grills or smoker ready.

good to see this thread turn to better conversation. WSK vs WSM is like comparing a really cool pickup truck to a really cool sports car. The answer is "both are cool". Comparing flavors coming from each cooker is splitting hairs. Quality of meat, seasoning, and executing the recipe are much bigger factors. If you already own an WSM and need something that you can grill on with less hassle/more safety and you have the means, a WSK is a great choice for a multi-purpose cooker.

good to see this thread turn to better conversation. WSK vs WSM is like comparing a really cool pickup truck to a really cool sports car. The answer is "both are cool". Comparing flavors coming from each cooker is splitting hairs. Quality of meat, seasoning, and executing the recipe are much bigger factors. If you already own an WSM and need something that you can grill on with less hassle/more safety and you have the means, a WSK is a great choice for a multi-purpose cooker.
My main complaints on my old wsm were having the break down the barrel to sear a tri tip after making it and having to squat to do so. At 6’+ tall, squatting to sear at 14” off the ground wasn’t fun.

Plus adding all the versatility back to having and using a charcoal grill, the WSK as just a natural progression.

The only reason I’d replace my current WSK is if it came in a color I’d like. That’s all.

Hey, some char siu coming up later today. Sear, indirect and sear again is the plan. And no squatting needed. And the weather is perfect today.

I think it depends on many factors. For me a single 22 wsm wasn't large enough for family gatherings so I have 2 now. No way I could do it with less space. I got tired of juggling doing meat, sides and appetizers and having the best outcome. Many times doing some the day before and reheating always bothered me. I do the meat on 1 and sides and appetizers and the second meat if needed on the other. I also like having multiple grills for different reasons. I don't like the jack of all trades master of none approach. That's just me and I have enough room for multiple grills or let's say I make room to have what I want/need. I like having flexibility and I find this the best option for me. I almost went down the expensive road for a custom smoker and grills, but just couldn't justify the expense for what I get out of 2 wsms a 26er and a 22 performer all with upgrades that I wanted. I could afford 10-15K on the customs, but just can't justify it for what I get with what I have now. The 4th of July this year if I wanted I could have any combo of ribs pulled pork, brisket, steaks, hot dogs, burgers, chicken along with multiple sides and appetizers and can all be cooked at the appropriate time to finish up when needed. That's my approach that works for me.

I think it depends on many factors. For me a single 22 wsm wasn't large enough for family gatherings so I have 2 now. No way I could do it with less space. I got tired of juggling doing meat, sides and appetizers and having the best outcome. Many times doing some the day before and reheating always bothered me. I do the meat on 1 and sides and appetizers and the second meat if needed on the other. I also like having multiple grills for different reasons. I don't like the jack of all trades master of none approach. That's just me and I have enough room for multiple grills or let's say I make room to have what I want/need. I like having flexibility and I find this the best option for me. I almost went down the expensive road for a custom smoker and grills, but just couldn't justify the expense for what I get out of 2 wsms a 26er and a 22 performer all with upgrades that I wanted. I could afford 10-15K on the customs, but just can't justify it for what I get with what I have now. The 4th of July this year if I wanted I could have any combo of ribs pulled pork, brisket, steaks, hot dogs, burgers, chicken along with multiple sides and appetizers and can all be cooked at the appropriate time to finish up when needed. That's my approach that works for me.
Let me know the start time and what I can bring. Your feast sounds amazing. Agreed, you’re way beyond a single grill for how and what you’re cooking. You’ve got A LOT going on concurrently. But it sure does sound like a good time is to be had.

Let me know the start time and what I can bring. Your feast sounds amazing. Agreed, you’re way beyond a single grill for how and what you’re cooking. You’ve got A LOT going on concurrently. But it sure does sound like a good time is to be had.
Actually my wife's B-Day is the 5th so it just makes it a good time to get together. With all age groups from 1 to 80+ you have to have options. Even if its just my kids their kids and my wife and I. 9 total 1 wsm doesn't do it unless we do just protein and cook via the stove.

Just thought I would toss this out.
If you never had smoked ribeye or steak of choice you need to try it. The thicker the better. Smoke them at 225 for 30 minutes to an hour until they're 10 degrees under the finished temp of what you like rare to ummm well done. Then throw them on a smoking hot grill to reverse sear them to temp. So very good especially when you have bb ribs as well. Another huge hit for my family is prok belly burnt ends. The prep is the hardest part and there's never leftovers. Seriously gone in minutes and takes about 3 hours to make them, but worth it. That also allows enough time for two sides to cook and finish when I dish out protein. If not quite timed correctly I can just keep everything warm in the oven. Honey cornbread and my smoked beans are on the list every time. My oldest son wants the bean recipe and I tell him its going with me to my grave. I'm sure there's better out their but I just kinda made these, and people really seem to like them and request them every time. I really need to write it out because it literally would go with me at this point. My wife also has a secret tater salad that's at least 4 generations old that is flat out good. Oh and I always have 1919 rootbeer or it just isn't complete.

I won’t get into the comparison, as there’s too many variables. One cook can be totally different from the next, which is different from the next, etc. I don’t personally see the point in limiting myself too much so I have several cookers. The only ones I don’t have are a Smokey Mountain and an offset…probably won’t add a WSM though.

The Summit Charcoal/Kamado is easily the best variable cooker, meaning it can bake and grill and smoke and do so whether it’s 90 outside and calm or -25 and blowing 25+. Anything with a thin wall (WSM/kettle territory) absolutely struggles when it’s that cold, and the wind just wicks the heat away. Not so with the Summit/Kamado.

Most of us have different spoons and cups and knives for different usages. How come we don’t compare those?🤣

PS, I hold no YouTube “chef/cook” in high regard. I don’t hold any “celebrity” chef in high regard. I personally know unknown folks that will absolutely mop the floor with the majority of known cooks in the kitchen, no I’m not one.

Just watched the video....
Only one word for them.... Amatuers !
Let's see... comparing one set of beef ribs to the other... Were both the same size and from the same animal ?.... NO
Comments about the smoke ring... Smoke Rings bring nothing to the taste table !
And about the smoke flavor... Did anyone notice what Smoking Wood was used other than NONE ???

If someone whats to do a true comparison, I do not believe it is possible.
If I want to SMOKE some meat, I'll use my WSM.
If I want to GRILL some meat, I'll use one of my Kettles.

Just watched the video....
Only one word for them.... Amatuers !
Let's see... comparing one set of beef ribs to the other... Were both the same size and from the same animal ?.... NO
Comments about the smoke ring... Smoke Rings bring nothing to the taste table !
And about the smoke flavor... Did anyone notice what Smoking Wood was used other than NONE ???

If someone whats to do a true comparison, I do not believe it is possible.
If I want to SMOKE some meat, I'll use my WSM.
If I want to GRILL some meat, I'll use one of my Kettles.
Good points Bob. I've had brisket with a very small smoke ring and wonderful flavor, and others that took on a lot of color with a larger ring but was more bland.
I've got my kettles, I've got my WSM, a griddle, and a wokburner. I doubt I will ever own a Kamado. They don't do anything for me, and they don't do anything my other cookers can't do as well. People have been using the older cookers for years, and sometimes you have to cut through the marketing hype. Do I begrudge anyone for getting a kamado? Not at all. We all have our personal likes or dislikes.

While there are certain features which differentiate between cookers and are better standards of measure, what you are referring to as a "true comparison" could actually be done. It is called the law of averages. It would be expensive to do, but it could be done. Take 10 WSMs, 10 Kamados, and run the same size, thickness and weight of meat on each for roughly the same temperature. Blind taste test every pair as cooked by the same individual and take the average of the responses. The larger the sample size the more accurate the results, barring any shenanigans.

In the end, most of us are amateurs. Amateur comes from the root of a Latin word that means "to love". Most of us regardless of which grill we use are here because we love it as opposed to being competitive or getting paid for it.

While most here are probably considered amateurs, they, more than likely, approach this hobby in a professional manner !

A quick read of the video's creators "About" section is very telling. They wanted to learn how to cook their ribs like their relative does, or did. EASY... fall off the bone ribs are nothing more than overcooked ribs.

( note : I even have an official governmental license that states I am an Amateur ;) )

While most here are probably considered amateurs, they, more than likely, approach this hobby in a professional manner !

A quick read of the video's creators "About" section is very telling. They wanted to learn how to cook their ribs like their relative does, or did. EASY... fall off the bone ribs are nothing more than overcooked ribs.

( note : I even have an official governmental license that states I am an Amateur ;) )
Bob, if there is any group of people that lacks credibility it is those who start with that "g" word you just brought up.

I won't even say that fall off the bone ribs are over cooked unless they really are fall off the bone. There is a difference between competition ribs, and eating ribs. For some people texture is a thing they can't get past, and if it is chewy they don't like it. It is personal taste at that point. In my own opinion that no one else will be forced to agree with, ribs are properly cooked when they will cleanly pull away from the bone but stay attached to it until bitten or pulled off. I generally do whole spare ribs, and once cooked and cool, they can be sliced without the meat falling apart, but still pull away when desired. My Father likes a little more chew on his. I save the title over cooked for the things it matters on, like bacon, steak, and dried out bird.

Back