WSM thermometer placement

ScottDWare

Hey all,

Just wanted to ask a question and see what others are doing for thermometer/probe placement on your WSM’s. I have one clipped to the top grate, and it’s woven through the side port on the body. I find when I have to use the second grate, I have to unclip it or take it out, and then weave it back through the grate. Not a huge deal, but trying to think of a more efficient way.

Clip fell out in the picture, but I do have one that holds it on the grate.

Thanks in advance!

51B1B660-111A-4472-A56C-308699391A19.jpeg
9DC375F9-4D24-499F-8FD7-21CF97D52CE9.jpeg

I notched the top rim of the main body, clip one probe to the top grate, and one probe for the meat, run the wires through the notch and i swap probes in my DOT to keep track, cause I don't have a dual probe thermometer, it's no big deal, I don't worry about the bottom grate, temps will be close enough.

Scott, unfortunately, I don't have a better answer than to notch it like said above. I never notched mine so I always fought it a little like you do. As you said, it only comes into play when you want to use the lower cooking grate.

I cut a notch as well. First I tried a dremel but the cut off wheel was too short so I borrowed a 4 inch angle grinder and that took care of it. Just file off any sharp edges. I used to run the probes through the grommet like you do and it was a pain evertime. Before notching I tried just pinching the wires under the lid but that caused enough of an air leak that temperature kept spiking up.

Another one for the notch. Running probes through the grommet is a pain. I'm surprised that Weber doesn't incorporate it into the WSMs, judging by the large amount of folks that notch their cookers. I've read of some people thinking it will effect the airflow. It doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
But I'm sure it will compromise the warranty.

Notched my 22 as it's old. Bought a used 14 with the grommet. Couldn't wait to use the "passthru" Used it one time, couldn't wait to notch it. My two scents (after all we're talking BBQ).

I still do exactly as you did with the wire. I go through the grommet and through that handle space. I've only used that bottom grate a few times in all honesty so I don't see it as much of a problem. There's no reason you can't run the wire on the outside of the grate ring, I don't think, but I don't do it. I did notch my kettle, I'm just reluctant to do the WSM for whatever reason, but there's no reason it won't work.

Hey all,

Just wanted to ask a question and see what others are doing for thermometer/probe placement on your WSM’s. I have one clipped to the top grate, and it’s woven through the side port on the body. I find when I have to use the second grate, I have to unclip it or take it out, and then weave it back through the grate. Not a huge deal, but trying to think of a more efficient way.

Clip fell out in the picture, but I do have one that holds it on the grate.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 54209
View attachment 54210
I simply run the wire from the Thermapro which I have held on the side via magnet and then clip it onto the grate and close the lid - no notch, no grommet. I am not that handy and simply don't trust my (in)ability to use any kind of tool to make a notch in the WSM :)

Back