WSM or Kettle

Took Bob Ivey's advice and looked on craigslist. Found a 22" almost new for $25. It was posted 22 hours ago so I'm waiting to hear back if it's still available.

Realize this is late. Used 22" kettle is not a bad Idea. Paired with an 18" or 22" WSM is perfect for anything you will want to do IMHO. You'll soon get into accessories, etc. If you can do the extra spend a new or used Performer:blueperformer: with the table/cart is really a great option. It lights the charcoal nicely. If you have the pair you can use the Performer gas lighter to light charcoal or just a number of hardwood briquettes to sit on top of your lump in the WSM to get things started. I often turn the chimney upside down add about 7 or 8 briquettes and light then just place them with tongs on the charcoal in the WSM

Having both also allows you to adjust to capacity demands once you get better at using them and know how to control temps in both. The Performer with the table and gas assist is VERY handy to have around if it fits in the budget. An 18" WSM (with extender) and 22" Performer with accessories has allowed me to pretty much do whatever I needed to do over the last 15 years.

I originally had a custom horizontal ordered and got ripped off back then. I decided to buy an 18" WSM and the 22" performer to settle out for a "couple years" to see how this worked out.

Not going back.

I can do heavy load of roadside chicken on the WSM high temp using it as a drum style smoker for example.

It's just me and my wife as well. BUT - once you get really good at Q and Grilling you will soon find out that you will want to and will offer
your services out to friends and family :) I get requests all the time.

If you get an 18" WSM or even the 22" you can always find a stacker option that will add more capacity. The 22 WSM is very nice for reasons stated
upthread. They weren't available back when I bought my WSM. The Performer also adds smoking capacity and does a fine job once you learn the ropes.
But It's more common for me to use that for grilling or final finish of items coming off the WSM during big cooks.

You're on the right track - having both is the BEST. Just think about and look for the Performer new/used as you move along.

Have to say that the 18" WSM with stacker option along with the 22" Performer has provided me with EVERYTHING (along with accessories along the way) to
pretty much do whatever I wanted to do over the last 15 years and I've done a lot of big/mixed cooks.

Learning fire control in both will get you kicked off nicely.

Only thing I added along the way was restoring a Weber gasser my neighbor put out to the trash to use as extra capacity as an extra oven or times when I want
to do a fast grill where I'm not that concerned as much with purest style grilling or smoking. After learning how to use and control all three I'm really not looking for anything else - there are those really nice Englebrechts, but I digress:

http://grillsandcookers.com

Great advice above and on this site in general. PM me if you want to talk more.

Last edited:
Got the 22" with cover. A Weber chimney. A bag of Kingsford. 1/2 bag of hickory chips. Grill grate is the hinged type. All for $25. Thinking I did all right!

Definitely agree :smokeyjoe:

Continue playing with the Kingsford - then start thinking about hardwood lump. You can often buy lump charcoal from feed mills or farm supplies as its often used for blacksmithing, etc. I get lump from these sources at half the price in retail stores. Stay away from Cowboy lump if you get interested.

I got away from Kingsford (not that there's anything wrong with it) after moving to lump a long time ago. Guess I'm a bigot :)

Don't forget to kill the fire when done cooking by closing down the vents, etc. You can pick out and reuse unspent fuel.

Works with briquettes but definitely great with lump. It spreads it out and nothing lost. Plenty of posts about that all over this site though.

Good luck - you're going to have lots of fun. You're in good hands here for any help you will need.

Last edited:
Congrats on that grill and the great price Raymond. It will do a lot of different things for you and you will grow to love it.

Smokin' Bargain!!!!!!!!!!

I've cooked on everything from coffee cans to a custom Klose pit, and that kettle is all you need to cook anything. Don't listen to dissenters, don't get caught up buying gadget crap and just learn how to use it. There's a reason that a 60 year-old design is still being made today with almost no functional improvement. Keep it simple and have fun!

Yep, Fantastic deal! I agree with Darren, learn to use a brilliant design, the basics do not change no matter how many gadgets you think you need. A pair of charcoal baskets (there is a guy here making them in fine looking stainless!) and a bag of KBB you will be happy for a long time to come. I have bought a bunch of gadgets and mostly they sit. The baskets, I use ALL the time however.
Now, I am actually thinking about a "Vortex" but, I can't justify it in my own mind. The heavier baskets, yes indeed, I get a set about every four years with almost constant use but, those just look like the last set I will ever need. I will take my old ones to the cottage.

Timothy, concerning the Vortex, in my opinion it is a must have. I have never been a fan of chicken but since the last to cooks of chicken with the Vortex on the Performer, I am always looking for specials on chicken. I am probably using the Vortex on 8 out of ten cooks now. It is that good and very versatile. Get it, you will thank us!! The last few months, many here have gotten them and are raving about them. I had mine sitting in my office for probably 6 or more months until I tried it and now know I would not want to live without it.

Yep, Fantastic deal!
Now, I am actually thinking about a "Vortex" but, I can't justify it in my own mind.

Bob Ivey;
I have to thoroughly agree with you about the Vortex. I had some folks over tonight, and walked the gentleman through chicken wings and chicken thighs with Apricot, Honey, Chipotle in Adobo glaze along with some Jalapeno Poppers. My wife provided Cheddar-Jalapeno-Fresh corn, cornbread, shellie green beans, macaroni salad, and Zucchini bread for dessert.

The Vortex with chicken was the keynote demonstration and provided some of the best chicken I have EVER done. The visitor left and I suspect ordered the Vortex the first thing when he got home. He was THAT impressed.

It is a GREAT tool, for sure!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Raymond, www.owensbbq.com for source unless someone has a better place.
Bobs and Tony, OK, I have a birthday coming!
I have never been a big beer can chicken fan but, with the vortex concept allowing easy set up, I might revisit that, I have not done one in over ten years because I just preferred the straight roast and now, the "turn and burn" with my rotisserie gift from my brother, it's just so simple, wash, spit, set, close, drink! Now that I write that, I see there is very little difference, OK, I'll try it again.
Thanks for feeding my addiction boys!

Timothy.
Never was a beer can chicken fan either. Tried it a couple of times, but I found it was more beneficial if I drank the beer.
You can turn the vortex upside down, put a chicken on a upright holder, and use the snake method around the outside of the vortex for a slow cook, or fully lit coals for a faster cook. Works great.

Last edited:
I agree, beer is best used in its intended fashion! Chicken isn't too tough to do in most any fashion as far as I'm concerned.
Will be doing some tonight in fact, not tuned in an just what I will do yet but thinking super basic. Or maybe satay if I have the stuff on hand.

Agreed on beer can chicken. A lot of hype in terms of moisture. I like the stands though from a convenience/stacking perspective, I just don't by into the idea that any fluid in the can gets into the chicken. So drink the beer and use the can as a support with the stand. Any fluid you put in the can is just to add weight and stability to the stand IMHO and practical use.

Last edited:
Great deal you found there. Lots of good advise on how to prepare and cook on here.

Beer can chicken is better without the can, but still cooks great vertically.

Back