WSM 18" just arrived!

GavinHealy

Over the moon, can't wait to fire her up.

I will be doing brisket etc for the first time on Saturday week. What thermometer probe would you recommend? Are they all reliable, ie: any would do?

I don't know what is available in your area, Maverick thermometers are popular here as are the Thermoworks. The Thermopop is becoming one of my favorites. Whatever you get, do a ice water and/or boiling water calibration to see how accurate it is.

Wow, starting with a brisket? Way to jump in the deep end! I'd recommend pulled pork as it is A LOT more forgiving, but go for the brisket if you want.

You will want a leave in thermometer, one you can stick in the meat and monitor remotely. the Mavericks are popular for a good all around not to cheaply made, but not uber expensive. I like what used to be the Igrill2, weber offers them now. They are bluetooth, so the range is less, but the graphing function is cool.

With Brisket - make sure that you KNOW what you're cooking: Just the Flat or Full Packer?
Then, do some reading on here for a technique that was used on the cut that you are using.
Getting these mixed-up is likely to result in near disaster.

As others have said - I would do a few cooks with something that is less costly if you screw it up, plus the initial cooks will build up some seasoning crud in your WSM that will help to "seal it up" and make it run better / more predictably.

For the first few cooks - I would also do it "by the book" (with Water Pan). This should make it a bit easier to control.

Then again - you could just "Go for it"; there's nothing holding you back if you choose so.

Let us know / post some pics of how it turns out.

Good luck on your journey with your new cooking toy/tool!

You are going to love your new WSM! Personally, I think if you read a little bit, a packer isn't that hard to cook once you learn to manage the fire. 225 degrees, until it probes tender.

I assembled it tonight. Delighted. The top grill is not 100% steady, is that normal (slight wobble, bottom grill steady) and will it make any difference to the meat?

I ordered the coal bucket and Maverick probes online, waiting for delivery. Will season the BBQ over the weekend. Any tips?

Thanks for the well wishes!

I assembled it tonight. Delighted. The top grill is not 100% steady, is that normal (slight wobble, bottom grill steady) and will it make any difference to the meat?

I ordered the coal bucket and Maverick probes online, waiting for delivery. Will season the BBQ over the weekend. Any tips?

Thanks for the well wishes!

Re: rocking grill, read the FAQs here and slightly bent it which fixed it

Gav.

Don't bother seasoning it mate. Give it a wipe down inside with a damp cloth......then fire it up & cook on it.
Chook wings, thighs & drummers would be a good start. You can do them at high heat and get yer seasoning mojo going. Or you could do a pork shoulder low and slow.
It might run a tad hot before you get it fully seasoned, but no big deal. Adjust the bottom vents as needed.
It might be an idea before you cook to remove the thermometer and see what it reads in boiling water, 212F or 100C. If it reads high or low you'll know where you're at, & you can use the therm until your maverick arrives. Good luck mate.

Last edited:
Cheers!

Slightly concerned to learn that the cover is not waterproof as I need to store it outside on a balcony. Google is not turning up much in the way of waterproof covers, can anyone recommend one?

Until you source a w/proof cover, you can use a large heavy duty builders rubble bag or a bin liner.

You can "store" it with the mid section inverted. That way, water will not run into the smoker even if the cover leaks. Also, I believe it is only the seams that leak. A good sealer on them will help.

Enjoy your WSM!!!

I store mine outside and the rain has never been an issue. I think as recommended above a trash bag over it first you will be just fine

Did a first cook on it on a stag weekend (bachelor party). A few of us brought BBQs down. Did pork shoulder and some ribs. The results were delicious. Delighted with it. Will do a brisket next. (My slight annoyance is that the Weber Rib Rack I bought is too big for the top shelf).

For the clean of it, I took the heavy stuff off and cleaned the grills, I purposefully have not done a heavy wipe-down of the interior so as to preserve some flavour. Is that your approach?

For the clean of it, I took the heavy stuff off and cleaned the grills, I purposefully have not done a heavy wipe-down of the interior so as to preserve some flavour. Is that your approach?
Most of us do exactly what you did.
BTW... Great Job on the Cook !!!

What Bob says.
Don't bother with the inside of the cooker. That's your hard-earned seasoning. If you do see it flaking in the middle section or lid, a quick brush to remove the flaky bits is all you need.
Sounds like you had a great cook.

I've been doing pretty much the same as everyone else; I use the cheap green scouring pads to brush off any flaking deposits but otherwise don't clean the inside of my WSM. I scrub thick charcoal deposits from the bottom with a grill brush as needed, and wipe the outside clean with simple green if it's looking bad. If the grates are really bad I have been throwing them on my gasser on high for about 15 minutes, then scraping them and throwing them in the dishwasher.

I did the first solo BBQ on it over the weekend. Did a Brisket and then did a pork shoulder after (not together). Spectacular success.

I notice that the middle section when I was cleaning it was slightly shakey, ie not 100% flat on the base. Very slight. Is this normal, should I be concerned?

Thanks for all the advice.

Back