WSM 14.5 or 18.5

AMumma

TVWBB Member
Hi Friends,

New here and joined because I'm entering the world of smoker ownership. I've always wanted one, but my brother in law brought his Masterbuilt on a family trip to Maine last month and I've been hooked ever since. I don't want to go electric (because really, what's the fun in that?) and I've always had good luck with Weber grills (I've got a 22.5, Performer, and Smokey Joe) I'm the only one who eats meat in my house, and I do so only occasionally. I'm assuming the 14.5 would be more than enough for me, but just wanted to get a few opinions from the professionals.

Just called my local WM, they said since they don't stock them they'd have to order it at the online price of $199. Still not a bad price.

Just called my local WM, they said since they don't stock them they'd have to order it at the online price of $199. Still not a bad price.

I would drive by and check. Mine only had one ($139) and I've got a couple other WalMarts near me I am going to check out (when I'm near them). I figure worth it if it's not a special trip. Do you have any others near you? :rolleyes:

And, WELCOME to the board. I'm fairly new here myself and have only a half dozen cooks on my 18.5" WSM.

It varies by location. But the few I've checked had them at 139. The 18" is harder to find at 199. Well at least here.

The 14" is perfect and can easily cook for a medium size family depending on what you want to focus on. A 14" rack is more than enough for a good size pork shoulder. You have two of them. You can stand poultry up on the bottom rack, a good size chicken 6lbs easy and a smaller turkey no issue. You can do 4 slabs of ribs. And it is so much easier to clean, way lighter on coal use and cooks in the same awesome way as it's big brothers. Awesome kit.

No Weber products at one Walmart, but the outdoor sales are incredible over there right now. Almost got a gas grill for no reason. Inspired to go to a more distant Walmart now. Fingers crossed.

No Weber products at one Walmart, but the outdoor sales are incredible over there right now. Almost got a gas grill for no reason. Inspired to go to a more distant Walmart now. Fingers crossed.

Good luck!!! I've got two on my way for a golf outing I'm going to check out tomorrow.

AMumma;
I assume you picked up a 14.5". I have a 14.5" and a 18.5" and use them both. However, I mostly use the 14.5". I regularly do two 8.0-9.0 lb. bone-in Boston Butts (one on each grate) or six half racks of ribs using a pair of rib racks. You use the same amount of fuel and time to do one or several. My wife vacuum packs left overs and we try to ALWAYS have pulled pork and racks of ribs in the freezer for when the "crave" hits (which is often).

The 14.5" (as well as the Mini-Joe) are terrific smokers and will do what most small families need.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Jealous !!!!!

There is now way we find discounts like that here.

Mine should be on the way.......

My 14.5 WSM has been able to cook meat for up to about 6-8 people during a single cook. I also like how portable my WSM 14.5 is, it's easy to bring Camping, Tailgating, etc...

Last edited:
I got one last year for 100.00 floor model, and almost got another this year from the East Greenbush store for the 139.00 price. I had to stop myself because it would not get used as the one I got last year still hasn't seen charcoal yet!

Picked up my 14.5 WSM on clearance at Walmart 2 weeks ago for $139. Now they're reduced to $99. I went back to Walmart and they gave me a price adjustment to the $99 price. Nice.

Back