Wrecked 2009 (DE) Brick Red One-Touch Platinum Platypus. Now what?

Tim Snyder

TVWBB Super Fan
This was $20.00 and 3 miles from my house. I paid for it and will pick it up later so these are the only photos I have. Thing is, I don't know what to do with it? It's actually in much better condition than it looks, a few dings in the rim of the lid, looks like it was cooked in twice. I know the tables are expensive ($80.00 each, list) and the lid bail wire is missing (Weber lists it as discontinued). The unavailable bail wire virtually renders the grill unusable. How would you move that hot lid with just that front handle, right? Should I:

~ Just save it for parts?
~Bite the bullet and restore it to new?
~Customize it with different tables ?
~Add the Unknown BBQ hinge and some Master-Touch legs and wheels?

I wasn't even a big fan of these things but they grew on me, especially the Brick Red. I know it's a somewhat rare grill, so it goes against my better judgement to modify it too much. I think they would look better with a black frame.

Did you know the black part that joins the frame pieces together is cast aluminum? I always figured it was plastic. Also looks like stainless steel One-Touch blades.

Thoughts?

platypus 3.jpg platypus 2.jpgplatypus 1.jpgplatypus new.jpg

I would have grabbed that, too. The brick red ones are not very common and I think really cool. I say wait for a nicer black one to come up and scavenge the parts you need. Otherwise, you could make wood side shelves and try one of those add on “slide asides” as a substitute for the missing holder.

I would have grabbed that, too. The brick red ones are not very common and I think really cool. I say wait for a nicer black one to come up and scavenge the parts you need. Otherwise, you could make wood side shelves and try one of those add on “slide asides” as a substitute for the missing holder.
Thanks Jon. The lid bail actually bolts to the underside of the tables. I think I could fabricate one using Master-Touch bail kit parts.

That is way cool. 😎
Tim, if it were mine, I would be on the hunt for used parts and piece it back together as a user grill. At least until someone offered big bucks to part it out.
Good luck, I'll be following this one.

I like the color, with your skill, I think you should restore it, at least get a pair of shelves/tables on it. It would also make for a good pizza kettle grill like Rich posted above.

That is way cool. 😎
Tim, if it were mine, I would be on the hunt for used parts and piece it back together as a user grill. At least until someone offered big bucks to part it out.
Good luck, I'll be following this one.
Agreed. Although, I won't be parting it out. I restore vintage bicycles, nothing infuriates me more than watching someone part out a rare bike because the parts are "worth" more than the whole. Blood boiling.

I think once I have it in the workshop I'll see what parts I need and give Weber a call. They've been generous with discounts on parts with me so far. I think if I could get the parts for $100-$150(?) it might be worth having one in near new condition.

Any ideas what it's "worth"? I tend to evaluate grills based on new prices. If people drop $260 every day on a new Master-Touch, isn't this "worth" that much at least, in nearly new condition?

Last edited:
You could always list it on eBay with a high reserve, or better yet on WKC web-site, there are a lot of collectors on that site.

I think the first batch/year produced may have come without a lid bale wire. I’ve got one of the earlier versions and it doesn’t have one or any way to mount it (no holes drilled on the underside of the tables where it shows mounting in the later schematics).

Agreed. Although, I won't be parting it out. I restore vintage bicycles, nothing infuriates me more than watching someone part out a rare bike because the parts are "worth" more than the whole. Blood boiling.

I think once I have it in the workshop I'll see what parts I need and give Weber a call. They've been generous with discounts on parts with me so far. I think if I could get the parts for $100-$150(?) it might be worth having one in near new condition.

Any ideas what it's "worth"? I tend to evaluate grills based on new prices. If people drop $260 every day on a new Master-Touch, isn't this "worth" that much at least, in nearly new condition?
Yes, I’d think it would be Tim!
I’m not tendering an offer but, that’s a reasonable asking price if not a bit low, to be honest.
I understand exactly what you mean about frustration with people breaking down “restorable” products because they can make a bit more money on parting the thing out. My particular gripe is with vintage instrument people doing that. Sometimes, they are beyond but, often they are not, for a qualified luthier, which I am not.

I would put a hinge on the back as I never liked the bail anyway.
I'm considering that option, Joe.

What happened to it? Did the seller have a tale to tell?
He did not! Unfortunately. He did say it was a family members at one point and he's too busy to work on it. The way it looks, given the damage, I think it fell out of the back of a pickup truck. Seriously. It also looks like it had only one or two cooks on it.

I think the first batch/year produced may have come without a lid bale wire. I’ve got one of the earlier versions and it doesn’t have one or any way to mount it (no holes drilled on the underside of the tables where it shows mounting in the later schematics).
Well now, that's an interesting observation. How was the lid retained, just the spool holders?

As for restoring, throw some wood tables on that thing and enjoy it.
I'm not really a fan of wood tables for outdoor use, but it is an option.

Yes, I’d think it would be Tim!
I’m not tendering an offer but, that’s a reasonable asking price if not a bit low, to be honest.
I understand exactly what you mean about frustration with people breaking down “restorable” products because they can make a bit more money on parting the thing out. My particular gripe is with vintage instrument people doing that. Sometimes, they are beyond but, often they are not, for a qualified luthier, which I am not.
Thanks, Timothy!

Well I need a cart for my 26 and these make great options. Too bad they are hard to find in my neck of the woods.
Hard to find around here too. Been forever since I remember seeing one.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone, much appreciated. The grill is here now, I'll post some photos when I get a chance. I'm going to register the serial number with Weber, then call for some parts prices.

Vent code is DE, 2009? I didn't realize the were made that early. I guess I'm out of luck finding a serial number?

Not anything productive to add, just that I'm following this, as I've seen your other projects and I imagine that this is going to look awesome once completed.

Charlie

Back