Wrapping Pork butts at stall?

Wrapping at the stall is pretty common. Everybody has their reasons. I usually cook unwrapped until about the last hour. I like smoky bark, but that hour in the foil softens it so that it mixes nice with the tender bits. Totally personal preference.

Jeff

Pork butt is pretty forgiving and not at risk (like a brisket flat) of drying out. So wrapping is mostly a question of time rather than an issue of getting the best finished result.

If I have the time, I find it easier to just let the butts keep cooking at a higher temp. Below is Chris' sage advice.

With some patience and a 225-250°F cooker temperature, the pork butt will eventually move beyond the plateau and the meat temperature shall rise again. If you want to shorten the length of the stall, just kick the cooker up to 275°F. Or if you’re really getting impatient, when the pork butt reaches 165-170°F, wrap it in foil and finish it in a 300°F cooker or oven.

^^
I've done it both ways but more than often I just let the butt cook without wrapping.

I like bark. spraying the outside a couple of times once it gets above 170 helps prevent it from drying too much

Yes - I wrap.

Especially when I've planned a dinner time and the family expects to have something on the plate within a 30 minute window.

I would prefer a full cook on the smoker, unwrapped, but I'm too old to get up at o'dark thirty and start a cook. So I've got a routine for smokes that involves a wrap, if needed.

I use a constant read thermometer and if the butt is in the stall for too long, I'll wrap.

I'd rather wrap and serve the family, then eat at 10pm just to say it was a 'full ride' smoke.

Butts I never wrap. Briskets I cook at 350-375˚ (so high heat, obviously) and always wrap. Pork ribs I usually cook at high heat so wrap as well.

Does anybody wrap their pork butts at the stall?

Seeing that everything else just about gets wrapped.

I wrap, but I cook my butts 275-300+ and I don't go by temp.
I wrap when I like the color.
Different smokes different folks:wsm:
Try it both ways.

Tim

Back