Wow, the forum is back on line

I think FB Groups have siphoned away a lot of people who in years past would have frequented a forum like this one.

For some reason, FB Groups do seem to have a reputation for bad member behavior. They're also plastered with advertising, which is distracting. I don't know if there's a way to organize discussion into categories like Gas Grills, Charcoal Grills, etc. but from what I've seen it's just a long, scrolling list of posts with comments. I find it hard to find things I've read in the past on FB. There are complaints about FB's search feature, but that's challenging for forums, too.

And of course, there are the issues of trust and privacy that have embroiled FB recently. There's no doubt that whatever you read, post, click on, or like, those things will be made available to advertisers so they can market to you both on FB and elsewhere. And who knows how FB will use your data in the future, how their facial recognition features will be used, and now that they're moving into cryptocurrency, they want to insert themselves into your wallet.

I don't know, I kind of like the experience of forum software. But then I'm getting to be an old fart...or I am one already. :D

That is correct larry. However, I just prefer the traditional forum style. I guess it is just me getting old and not wanting to keep up with the changes. The other thing is that I just plain don't trust FB.

You are right not to trust them. They have had several serious data breaches. I just find the whole FB experience distasteful. People constantly comparing their lives to others. And all these people that you barely know wanting to be your "friends ". I tried it and it's just not for me.

I do have an account but I only very rarely post or even look at it. I look at it every few weeks just to keep up with some far flung relatives and friends.

I think FB Groups have siphoned away a lot of people who in years past would have frequented a forum like this one.

For some reason, FB Groups do seem to have a reputation for bad member behavior. They're also plastered with advertising, which is distracting. I don't know if there's a way to organize discussion into categories like Gas Grills, Charcoal Grills, etc. but from what I've seen it's just a long, scrolling list of posts with comments. I find it hard to find things I've read in the past on FB. There are complaints about FB's search feature, but that's challenging for forums, too.

And of course, there are the issues of trust and privacy that have embroiled FB recently. There's no doubt that whatever you read, post, click on, or like, those things will be made available to advertisers so they can market to you both on FB and elsewhere. And who knows how FB will use your data in the future, how their facial recognition features will be used, and now that they're moving into cryptocurrency, they want to insert themselves into your wallet.

I don't know, I kind of like the experience of forum software. But then I'm getting to be an old fart...or I am already one. :D

Well, I can see that Chris and I are on the same page on this.

I don't know, I kind of like the experience of forum software. But then I'm getting to be an old fart...or I am already one. :D

FB has absolutely had a negative impact on internet forums like this one. Which is sad.

I'm probably one of the older old farts here and have used FB for about a dozen years without issue.
It lets me stay in contact with family scattered about the country, and some TVWBB members no longer posting here. We became good friends thanks to this forum.
My "friend" total is 62. If any get political, or mostly only share things from others, I snooze them for 30 days at a time, friend or family member. Some have been snoozing for a long time. :)
It's understandable FB is not for everyone, and I'm not trying to convince anyone to use it.

Greg and Bob C
First Greg, not sure why everything that is change has to be viewed as "negative". Sure it may be that for a narrow field of people BUT it puts information and such in a wider field of hands. FB is NOT the "badlands" no more than Amazon is some awful entity as some paint it. Yes Amazon (as FB) is forcing some change but in an overall manner it is not negative. It may not be positive either. It's just "different". We can embrace and grow or fail to do so and simply grow old.
Bob, you're absolutely correct. Without FB there are so many people that it would be so hard for me to keep in constant contact with. FB allows a much wider area. Sure there will ALWAYS be some negatives on FB just as there is when someone (and yes on any given day even myself has been guilty) has a wild hair in their butt and they go off on someone for something real or perceived. But just as here in a closed group a moderator can dispense with that. As for political BS. You can either partake or ignore. I for the most part choose to ignore. Even when very good friends post something political I just go by it.
Too much BS floating around about things like social media. It's no worse than you make it. Kinda like a dog. Train the dog to be aggressive you have a "bad or mean" dog. Doesn't matter if it's a Lab or a Pit Bull

Lmichaels just because someone doesn't embrace Facebook doesn't mean they are doomed to grow old faster than normal (we all grow older day by day) or that they don't embrace change. That's actually laughable.

I work in an industry (healthcare) where change is constant and unrelenting. I wouldn't have survived so long and so successfully if I was against change. Nor am I not growing old gracefully. I'm pushing 60 yet fit and trim and walk 5 to 6 miles most days. And from a mental standpoint able to handle a very demanding job.

Facebook just isn't part of my life except in a very limited capacity nor do I want it to be. Personally I'd rather read a book. That's seems much "healthier" to me than time spent on Facebook .

Many many psychologists and others think Facebook is in fact harmful to a lot of people in the way it creates constant comparisons to others. And also the way in which some people form impersonal relationships (on FB) at the expense of real in person social interactions and friendships.

I'm certainly not saying its harmful for everyone. And it's probably a blessing for some people. It's just not for me. And I know many many successful and vital people who are like me and avoid FB whenever possible.

You obviously feel otherwise (about FB) and that's fine.

Last edited:
Forums are like other forms of social media, some folks have an opinion and try to force it on others.
Some sit quietly in the background.
I like the latter better and I'm going back to my happy place. :)

I like forums because of how specific they are. I belong to a Jeep forum (even though I sold my YJ years ago) and a BMW forum for my soon to be antique E46. Those forums and this one allow me access to expert advice, great people and a really non-negative social media situation, without anybody really knowing more about me than I choose to reveal. I have no problem here, I'd be happy to tell everyone who I am, what I do, etc. But the point is that that is not the reason why I am on here, nor does anyone else on here really care. This is a purpose driven forum, and I do so sincerely appreciate being able to look for advice about how to replace z brackets, and hearing reviews about RCPlanebuyer's grates. Can't get that anywhere else, and if I was on Face Fook the information would be buried under high school classmates' inane posts showing me exactly why I was so happy to get done with high school

Chris: Thank you so very much for all you do. We all appreciate it. If we can help with the site by putting money in, let us know how to do it. I for one would be happy to.

Slainte!

Tim

If we can help with the site by putting money in, let us know how to do it. I for one would be happy to.

Well, since you asked so directly...

If cash is your thing, you can make a donation via PayPal using this link. Most donations are one and done; a select few have donated again and again on an occasional basis over many years, and a handful have setup monthly donations ranging from $5 to $15 or quarterly for $25, sort of like a subscription. You don't need a PayPal account to donate, just a credit card.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=A5MEMBH9YKAD6

If preferred, you can mail me a personal check. Just PM me and I'll reply with the mailing address.

The other way to help is with Amazon shopping. We get a small advertising fee when you click our link, add ANY items to your cart, and check-out. Those that are diligent about using our link BEFORE adding items to their Amazon cart can really make a difference, and it doesn't change the cost of what you pay at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=TVWB-20

The benefits of Amazon shopping to the forum seem to be waning, however, due to people doing more shopping with the Amazon app or using other programs like the Amazon Smile charitable program. Both of those cut the forum out of the sales equation.

But in the end, it's all good and anything you wish to do to support the forum is appreciated by me. Thanks for asking, Tim!

I "enjoy" the forum as well and the format. I never indicated someone is doomed to grow old fast. I simply am pointing out things change and bad stuff is everywhere. Whether on FB, here on this forum, or any other form of social media. And yes even this forum is "social media" so just because one spends their time on this forum rather than FB, Twitter, Snap Chap, what have you it is still social media no more no less. Heck even as far as web sites. I may switch over the FB totally as I can accomplish the same thing for far less $$$$ than hosting a site. I see people pointing fingers at Amazon for instance saying shoppers who use it are "lazy". Well BS. Let's look at some facts. Even Chris here looks to Amazon to help support this site. Sometimes people are forced to use Amazon because something is not available locally. Example, I just got a delivery from Amazon yesterday not because what I bought was "cheaper" it was not. It was because it was not even available in my area without driving FAR out of my way to go to a store I never shop at anyway because it's too far. And anyone who lives in IL should know what our new governor has done to the price of fuel. (locally at about $3.00 gal) thanks to doubled road use tax and the fact that our state puts sales tax on the "after tax" price per gal not the base price per gal. My car averages 19 mpg driving around here. So if I have to drive 5 miles out of my way each way I have added close to $3 in gas alone! I can buy it for the same price from Amazon delivered to my door. DO the math. Lazy? I think not. Prudent.
Anyway be well all and remember we all go into the same size "condo" in the end LOL

If cash is your thing, you can make a donation via PayPal using this link. Most donations are one and done; a select few have donated again and again on an occasional basis over many years, and a handful have setup monthly donations ranging from $5 to $15 or quarterly for $25, sort of like a subscription. You don't need a PayPal account to donate, just a credit card.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=A5MEMBH9YKAD6

If preferred, you can mail me a personal check. Just PM me and I'll reply with the mailing address.

The other way to help is with Amazon shopping. We get a small advertising fee when you click our link, add ANY items to your cart, and check-out. Those that are diligent about using our link BEFORE adding items to their Amazon cart can really make a difference, and it doesn't change the cost of what you pay at Amazon.

The benefits of Amazon shopping to the forum seem to be waning, however, due to people doing more shopping with the Amazon app or using other programs like the Amazon Smile charitable program. Both of those cut the forum out of the sales equation.

But in the end, it's all good and anything you wish to do to support the forum is appreciated by me. Thanks for asking, Tim!

I always forget to use the link before ordering from Amazon. I have to get better about that. Chris, if I copy your link above into a shortcut and use that to access Amazon, will that work? I could just replace my amazon book marks with that link, right???

I "enjoy" the forum as well and the format. I never indicated someone is doomed to grow old fast. I simply am pointing out things change and bad stuff is everywhere. Whether on FB, here on this forum, or any other form of social media. And yes even this forum is "social media" so just because one spends their time on this forum rather than FB, Twitter, Snap Chap, what have you it is still social media no more no less. Heck even as far as web sites. I may switch over the FB totally as I can accomplish the same thing for far less $$$$ than hosting a site. I see people pointing fingers at Amazon for instance saying shoppers who use it are "lazy". Well BS. Let's look at some facts. Even Chris here looks to Amazon to help support this site. Sometimes people are forced to use Amazon because something is not available locally. Example, I just got a delivery from Amazon yesterday not because what I bought was "cheaper" it was not. It was because it was not even available in my area without driving FAR out of my way to go to a store I never shop at anyway because it's too far. And anyone who lives in IL should know what our new governor has done to the price of fuel. (locally at about $3.00 gal) thanks to doubled road use tax and the fact that our state puts sales tax on the "after tax" price per gal not the base price per gal. My car averages 19 mpg driving around here. So if I have to drive 5 miles out of my way each way I have added close to $3 in gas alone! I can buy it for the same price from Amazon delivered to my door. DO the math. Lazy? I think not. Prudent.
Anyway be well all and remember we all go into the same size "condo" in the end LOL

"We can embrace and grow or fail to do so and simply grow old" was your statement to me immediately after other statements about FB. I'm not sure how you misinterpret that but If I did then I apologize. But surely you can see how that sounds?

Of course you are correct that all things internet including this forum are social media. I didn't see anyone saying that wasn't true? But to me there is a huge difference between this forum and FB. Data breaches just don't happen on these types of forums for one thing or if they do they are very rare. There are also many other differences.

It's a fast changing world. Everyone picks and chooses what pieces of technology work for them and what doesn't. And what doesn't fit with their values. I love Amazon. Use it all the time for the convenience and as you stated you can find things on there you just can't find elsewhere. The point being it's ok to pick and choose and people shouldn't be chastised for doing so.

Last edited:

Chris I have a question. Is it true that a forum like this one makes $$ when someone simply clicks on an Amazon link? Even when they don't actually buy something? I heard that stated once in another forum I sometimes frequent.

" I don't know if there's a way to organize discussion into categories like Gas Grills, Charcoal Grills, etc. but from what I've seen it's just a long, scrolling list of posts with comments. I find it hard to find things I've read in the past on FB."

This. FB has its place, but forum format's are much better IMO.

Yah, forums are designed for a specific purpose. I think FB is more like a 12 in 1 tool that does a bunch of things, but some of them not quite as good as a dedicated tool.

It is all a matter of preference though and whatever any one chooses and why is up to them.

Chris I have a question. Is it true that a forum like this one makes $$ when someone simply clicks on an Amazon link? Even when they don't actually buy something? I heard that stated once in another forum I sometimes frequent.

That is NOT TRUE.

Amazon pays a small advertising fee when someone completes these three steps:

1) Clicks an Amazon link that's coded with your affiliate ID, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/?tag=TVWB-20. This tags the shopping cart with the affiliate ID.

2) Adds an item(s) to shopping cart. Anything placed in cart during the next 24 hours is credited to the affiliate ID.

3) Goes through the check-out process, pays for the item(s), and takes delivery.

Of course, no advertising fees are paid on returned items.

If you complete the first two steps but leave Amazon without checking-out, when you return to Amazon make sure to use one of our links again. This starts a new 24-hour clock and ensures that any additional items added to your shopping cart will be credited to TVWBB.

You must complete the Amazon checkout process before your shopping cart expires—usually within 90 days.

...if I copy your link above into a shortcut and use that to access Amazon, will that work? I could just replace my amazon book marks with that link, right???

Yes, you can make https://www.amazon.com/?tag=TVWB-20 a shortcut on your desktop or save it in your browser favorites. If used every time to start each visit to Amazon, anything you buy in all product categories will result in advertising fees that I use to pay for the hosting of this forum plus my WSM website, my gas grill blog, the domain names, my business license, etc.

Thanks a bunch if you do that, Bruce! :D

Yah, I will certainly do that in the future. Great to know that I can support the forum and not even have to pay anything to do it.

Back