Would you try this?

I worked with a man who was born in Europe (Sicily) right after WWII and grew up really poor, as many people were at that time.

He immigrated to the US in the sixties and landed in a low rent area of New York City- called “the meat packing district”.

He told me a story about arriving here with nothing. One day he struck up a conversation with one of the workers and he was offered beef offal for free.

He couldn’t believe it- in America people give away perfectly good food.

He had a keen insight about much of what he saw.

Barb and I yesterday just stocked up on fifteen pounds of chuck roast at $2.49 a pound for grinding will mix with brisket and if I want a leaner grind, I have some London broil and eye of the round to add to it. Burger grind, a little brisket fat will flavor it up.
Finally gave up on the KA for grinding just took too long and the 40 year old KA wasn't happy doing that load.
Bought one of these about two years ago, cut the grinding time down about 90%. Amazing little grinder does a pound in about 30 seconds or as fast as you can feed it. After two years and a lot of grinding it's still going strong.

Yeah, Rich, the KA attachment is not meant for larger scale grinding. Really it's more for "I have a few scraps and I want to make something with it". Rather than buying roasts and grinding up bulk burger, sausage, what have you. They can "do it", but who's got the patience?

Yeah, Rich, the KA attachment is not meant for larger scale grinding. Really it's more for "I have a few scraps and I want to make something with it". Rather than buying roasts and grinding up bulk burger, sausage, what have you. They can "do it", but who's got the patience?
From my own experience, I’d say that the max of a KA attachment, not the KA branded one specifically, is around 8-10 pounds max at a time. If you’re grinding more, say for sausages, then do look at a dedicated grinder/stuffer.

I can grind 3 cuts of beef, double grind, of 8-10 pounds for burgers in around 25 minutes total.

I disagree with your scraps statement. It’s generic and misleading. And since I upgraded my KA to their commercial line, grinding has become even easier.

For anyone here, cooking small batches, say 21-30 burgers at a time, the metal KA off brand grinder has been nearly excellent from my own experiences. Sure, a dedicated grinder can and will process more in slightly shorter time, but the question is, do you want a dedicated machine based on your frequency of use? That’s the decision you’re facing.

I'm speaking from owning the old actual Hobart made grinder and a Commercial machine. I don't know how the non OEM products work as quite honestly I'm not gonna buy one. I have seen enough failures of non oem made stuff on a KA mixer causing complete destruction of the gear box, that I won't bother. Actually had one just a couple weeks ago. I can't imagine the non oem grinders are any better quality or higher capacity than the Hobart attachment I have.
It works fine but, it's small, (short and narrow throat), so while yeah, I've ground some larger batches. I found it tiring and not worth my time. But, one thing is for sure you will NOT hurt the actual machine doing a larger batch. Even down to the little "Classic" tilt head. There is more than enough power and durability.
I'm sure even down to the "Classic" they could handle a MUCH larger output grinder with ease. Actually surprised KA does not make one.

I’ve owned and run this one for 4 years now. No issues to report nor problems. Hand wash only when done. That’s the only requirement.

Meat Grinder Attachment for KitchenAid Stand Mixers, Accessories Included 2 Sausage Stuffer Tubes, Durable Metal Food Grinder Attachments by Kitchood, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VKNHG8?tag=tvwb-20

I just got the cheap plastic one that was quickly available so I could give it a try and see how it goes. Figure I might have to invest in a more heavy duty unit later, but this one feels really strong and high quality even though it's plastic. I hand washed it after and it's definitely heavy and seems very sturdy.

1709828381154.png

I only did a quick pound and half, but it was ridiculously easy and quick, even including washing and drying. My usual grinding session will probably be 4-6 pounds at the most and that'll only be a couple times a month, so I'm not sure I'll have to worry about upgrading anytime soon, but we'll see.

I just got the cheap plastic one that was quickly available so I could give it a try and see how it goes. Figure I might have to invest in a more heavy duty unit later, but this one feels really strong and high quality even though it's plastic. I hand washed it after and it's definitely heavy and seems very sturdy.

View attachment 87482

I only did a quick pound and half, but it was ridiculously easy and quick, even including washing and drying. My usual grinding session will probably be 4-6 pounds at the most and that'll only be a couple times a month, so I'm not sure I'll have to worry about upgrading anytime soon, but we'll see.
Mike, sadly in the case of this accessory your namesake will not hold true. No matter what you do or how careful you are the plastic accessories all crack at the hub where the main bearing goes through. IDK why KA even bothers with these things. I even made the mistake of buying the food grater and the hub cracked within the first 3X I used it for grating some parmesan cheese. Best of luck

Brett, the "machine" itself is MORE than capable of holding it's own grinding meat. Unless you do something incredibly dumb like trying to grind bones or something, you could darn near grind up a whole steer. I just don't have the patience to stand there, feeding tiny little bits, to keep the attachment itself "happy". A good stand alone grinder is WAY better (heck even a food processor is more efficient).. Which is sad. As EVERY KA made (except for the little Artisan Mini is MORE than powerful and fast enough to actually handle a much higher capacity grinder attachment. If KA made a properly sized accessory with a large diameter and length throat and auger, large diameter cutters and die, the machine could be "killer". Except for one glaring fault (in the machine itself). Not reversible. I noted it seems all "better" grinders are reversible. Maybe that is why, KA does not make the grinders in higher capacity? IDK. But to date (and I DO look) I have not found one with better "capacity" than the original Hobart unit I have in my cabinet.

. I even made the mistake of buying the food grater and the hub cracked within the first 3X I used it for grating some parmesan cheese
You just never know with this stuff. I've had that attachment for 25 yrs. and it still works great. I just used it last week to grate potatoes for hash browns. The only thing I don't like about it is after you take it all apart to clean it takes up half the dishwasher.

You just never know with this stuff. I've had that attachment for 25 yrs. and it still works great. I just used it last week to grate potatoes for hash browns. The only thing I don't like about it is after you take it all apart to clean it takes up half the dishwasher.
Steve, we just put all the pieces in a large metal work bowl in the sink, add some soap and just wash it quickly. In cases like yours, doing potatoes, the clean up is very quick and you can keep all the small bits and pieces together so you're not fishing through the dishwasher. This has been the easiest way to process cleanup for us and it's our go to method at this stage. Literally, just a few minutes time and it's all done and then back into its storage ziplock for future use.

I would try it - probably quite good. Growing up, I used to eat beef hearts all the time. My Grandmother (literally "off the boat from Italy") had many really good recipes from which she made some amazing food. Some of the dishes she called "peasant food" - good stuff but more simple. Beef hearts, in the "peasant food" category, were very simply cooked. She just sliced them, making roundish steaks (with holes in them, due to the chambers) and fried them in olive oil with garlic, salt, and pepper. Sooooo good!

I have read up on it. No mention of organ meat. But maybe you have different sources than me.
I saw a news documentary after McD's and others admitted using it. They showed how it's made on a video. They take the carcass of the cattle, and use what is basically a power washer/steam wand. And power wash anything left in/on the carcass into a collection area, filter out the detritus, then send that through processing equipment until pink slime comes out. The whole process was quite off putting to put it mildly.
Rather have organ meats in the mix than that stuff

i have issues with generic and wide statements that aren't fully factual.

McD's story here for what used to be in their process and meat deconstruction practices:

a rumor or lie can make its way around the world before the truth can even get its pants on. we all share some responsibility to post truthful information and not hyperbole. i'll stand down from the pulpit here but painting with broad strokes doesn't really help anyone become informed or subject matter educated. <rant over> i'll go back to my hole now.

Well I am sure glad they don't use it anymore. But your gripe about facts is not with me. It's with CBS. They aired it on a news show IIRC 60 Minutes. But then lately I don't trues much anything or anyone anymore. But, at least according to them (CBS) that was in fact what they aired and put up on video. And if I thought for one second it was urban legend I would not post it.

Back