Worthless grilling gadgets

DK Smith

TVWBB Fan
new article from the yahoo frontpage

http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/10-grilling-gadgets-less-than--25-220153004.html?page=1

Am I the only one that thinks everything on there is worthless junk?

I am fully bought into the KISS school of cooking I guess. The only thing I could think of that I use is the skewers, but I like wooden better because you don't have to clean them.
I know many use bear claws for pork butt. Me, I find your meat tastes better if you are careful with how you destroy your butt. Some butt parts need to be cubed, some pulled, some chopped, some even removed sometimes.

It's like all the other single-function gadgets you bought at the state fair and the home show. They're used once, then sit in a junk drawer until the next "Spring Cleaning". They then get tossed out or donated.

You need five things for BBQ and grilling:

Good fuel
Chimney starter
Long-handled tongs
Long-handled fork
Long-handled turner

Add a quick-read or remote thermometer and you're good to go.

I don't know, but I really like the ring thing with the spike. Nothing like whole grilled cabbages. Yum...yum :rolleyes:

The bear paws (or something like it) are super useful. I have a set of something like that, but it's only 2 spikes. They're my go-to tools for pulling pork and moving big hunks of meat off the smoker. The grill brush looked ok if you need one. The rest, not so much.

We aren't confessing to how many of those we own are we?
Actually, I will say the Fire Wire is pretty handy for kabob type stuff and a few other things.

Oh come on, everyone needs a Pit Boss tool belt............for $80!

GrillGadgets-BBQToolBelt-PitBoss.JPG

I have a few of those leg/wing racks and I love em!
The only way to do a bunch of legs on the top rack on a 18.5" WSM
5727781697_891732bcfd_z.jpg

Tim

I like my bear paws for doing pulled pork or just using to grab the brisket or pork butt to take it off the smoker. Those flexible cable skewers are garbage as the food turns on it and makes it hard to do all sides of the food on it.

worthless junk?
I think not.

got the BEAR PAWS
got the LEG/WING RACK
got the FIRE WIRE® Flexible Grilling Skewer
and I L♥VE them all

don't have the grill hook, butt I do have AND use the PigTail Food Flipper

I only have the chicken leg rack...I want the bear claw and flexible skewers... They look pretty cool.

I have a few of those leg/wing racks and I love em!
The only way to do a bunch of legs on the top rack on a 18.5" WSM

Tim
Cleaning that thing sucks doesn't it?
And it looks to me like they fit would fit on there anyways.

don't get me wrong, I have a lot of this junk. Just wish I didn't :(

It's like all the other single-function gadgets you bought at the state fair and the home show. They're used once, then sit in a junk drawer until the next "Spring Cleaning". They then get tossed out or donated.

You need five things for BBQ and grilling:

Good fuel
Chimney starter
Long-handled tongs
Long-handled fork
Long-handled turner

Add a quick-read or remote thermometer and you're good to go.

THIS

except I don't even use the remote thermo 95% of the time anymore

Fathers day is coming up, I'm asking for charcoal! :)

hahaha

GrillGadgets-MotorizedGrillBrush-Brookstone.jpg

Spend your time cooking, not cleaning, with the Motorized Grill Brush (from Brookstone)—no arduous scrubbing or hazardous chemicals required. This cleverly designed gadget features a push-button spray mist that instantly turns to steam on a hot grill, while the brass-bristle brush works to eliminate caked-on grease and grime.
brookstone.com; $29.99

Cleaning that thing sucks doesn't it?
And it looks to me like they fit would fit on there anyways.

don't get me wrong, I have a lot of this junk. Just wish I didn't :(

Nah, it's not that bad. Usually just soak them and hit with a stiff kitchen brush.I picked them up for cheap from Ace about 6-7yrs ago and both will fit on the top grate of the WSM. Thats a few dozen RS legs which I don't have to worry about flipping.
And they make a great jerky rack if you use toothpicks.

Tim

I have:

Tongs
Spatula
Some metal skewers (they're nice because I can do kabobs without having to soak them)
A thermometer
A chimney starter
A grill basket
The Weber wire grill brush
When I get a smoker I think bear claws will work well.

Back