Wood Question

Do they still offer the printed sacks (burlap bags) to store wood in? Or, am I mixing up vendors..i dont see the option on their site anymore?

As for wood storage, I noticed my previous stash (aroma) lasted longer sitting in vented bag on an enclosed porch compared to the majority that was sitting in trash cans outdoors.

I can tell a difference, but my hickory is local stock. My apple comes from Walmart, but I don't think it is all that aromatic compared to the hickory.

See I would agree...and I think that's why I use Apple the most.

Hickory, to me, only tastes good with beef. One year I smoked a post Thanksgiving Day Turkey on a little bit of hickory...it was very pronounced ( to the point that my wife said..." you and your brother can eat that one").

We get lots of oak and almond around here...haven't yet tried almond for smoking but it's nice for wood fired grilling.

See I would agree...and I think that's why I use Apple the most.

Hickory, to me, only tastes good with beef. One year I smoked a post Thanksgiving Day Turkey on a little bit of hickory...it was very pronounced ( to the point that my wife said..." you and your brother can eat that one").

We get lots of oak and almond around here...haven't yet tried almond for smoking but it's nice for wood fired grilling.

Wow, hickory doesn't go well with pork BBQ? Could it be because it is locally-grown, and the soil type has an effect on the aroma?

Nevertheless, I hope to try some post oak one day, and see what I think. Never tried almond wood, but I suppose it is readily available in the great valley.

Wow, hickory doesn't go well with pork BBQ? Could it be because it is locally-grown, and the soil type has an effect on the aroma?

Nevertheless, I hope to try some post oak one day, and see what I think. Never tried almond wood, but I suppose it is readily available in the great valley.

Oh I'm sure there are some guys who use for pork and swear by it. I suppose if I were to use some hickory with pork, I would probably add a little fruit wood too (apple, cherry, etc.) in order to tame it. After trying different woods, I usually just stick with apple because it never really overpowers meat.

Yeah in the Central Valley you can find almond just about anywhere. There are some wood companies there that will offer to rip out old orchards at hardly any cost, just so they can "keep" the wood. Oak on the other hand is a little more prominent on the Central Coast and up here North of Sacramento where I live now.

How do you order from Fruitawood? Their web site looks confusing.
Does anyone know how to contact these folks? I can't find a contact method on their web site. It looks like they have a store within not totally unreasonable driving distance but when I click on the location on the map it comes up "not found". If the in-store price is sufficiently lower I might be willing to make the drive, but the web site mentions only the prices that include shipping cost.

Never mind. Their "express" web site had a contact form and their phone number. I shot them a message using the form.

Last edited:
When we use pecan wood, usually used with a fruit wood, too, such as cherry, apple or peach, we can really tell the difference. Perhaps try a bit more of the wood you use regularly when you use a different kind of wood.

We can certainly distinguish the taste between hickory and mesquite, the latter which we use only occasionally.

I think we must use a bit more wood than most as we often prefer one wood over another when we try it on the same cut of meat. Not being a snob here but just saying...

Has anyone ever used crab apple wood? We have a crab apple tree in the back yard that's not looking too good. If we have to take it down, I'd have smoke wood to last a lifetime if it's any good for that.

BTW, I ended up ordering from Fruita Wood. Very quick delivery. Going to use some of it on a brisket tomorrow. Just have to decide between cherry, apple and peach.

Jay...

Wishing you an Excellent cook tomorrow !

Would be interesting to hear your reaction to using fresh smoking wood.

Anyone know if Fruita Wood takes PayPal?
Also I'm curious about what a 10 lb box of their chunks looks like, amount and size of the chunks.
If anyone has a pic handy :)

Last edited:
I've got some mulberry branches I cut down, as well as some pecan. I cut some of the pecan in to chunks and the rest into logs for the offset. After letting it season a while I used it on a brisket cook and it was awesome. I've heard mulberry can be used, but I'm leary.

Hi Bob,

Yes, Fruitawood does take PayPal.

On my last order, I had 10 lbs of Pecan chunks, 10 lbs of Wild Cherry chunks and 15 lbs of Red Oak chunks. All were shipped in a single 15"x15"x12" cardboard box with internal, labeled dividers. Chunk sizes are in the 2x2, 2x3 and 3x3 sizes. Mostly 2x.

Don't have a picture, but all chunks are clean sawed and split chunks. No fungus, dirt, etc.

Hi Bob,

On my last order, I had 10 lbs of Pecan chunks, 10 lbs of Wild Cherry chunks and 15 lbs of Red Oak chunks. All were shipped in a single 15"x15"x12" cardboard box with internal, labeled dividers. Chunk sizes are in the 2x2, 2x3 and 3x3 sizes. Mostly 2x.

Don't have a picture, but all chunks are clean sawed and split chunks. No fungus, dirt, etc.
Thanks Bob!
Pecan would be on my list too, it's a favorite along with hickory and fruit woods.
I'll have to put in an order to check them out for myself.

I've got some mulberry branches I cut down, as well as some pecan....

...I've heard mulberry can be used, but I'm leary.

I saw Mulberry listed on Fruitawood's site, and I *think* there may be a tree in my neighbor's yard. I'll have to sneak over there with a saw and snatch a branch. :rolleyes:

Hi Bob,

Bob, I'm curious about their hickory. After reading about how different soil types can effect a wood's aroma, makes me wonder if our local hickory is some of the best in the country considering how local folks go nuts over it in these parts.

Read a thread somewhere that even the same species/variety of wood is different depending on where it's grown .So your hickory could be quite different from my hickory depending on soil conditions, climate etc.
You guys ever use grape trimmings? bet they're all over the place in flavor, so many varieties.

Back