Wood Question

Reading here about fruit wood drying out and losing flavor and aroma, should I just leave my newly cut apple wood in log form and just slice some off (like pepperoni) a day or two before a smoke session?

Reading here about fruit wood drying out and losing flavor and aroma, should I just leave my newly cut apple wood in log form and just slice some off (like pepperoni) a day or two before a smoke session?

That's a good question. I would assume the wood would retain its moisture content a bit longer if it stays in one piece.

I'm going into the third summer with my 18.5 WSM and have a question regarding wood. I've been using apple, hickory and sugar maple on different cooks and I don't really notice a difference in the flavor the smoke puts on the meat. Always seems the same taste to me. Am I doing something wrong? Too many chunks, too few?
For me, it depends on what I'm cooking. If I'm smoking a turkey breast, hickory overpowers it but apple or cherry gives it a sweet smoke flavor. Brisket or pork butt? I can't tell much difference.

Back