Wood chunks - How many?

Jogan Thomas

TVWBB Member
Following on from a previous thread on when to put wood chunks on and getting some really good responses from the guys on here, I am after some advice on how many.

I normally use 1 Weber Apple wood chunk for any big lumps of steak 1 to 1.5kg, whole chicken etc and that's enough smoke for me, as I only like a light smoke taste.

I am doing a 11lb (5kg) brisket at the weekend, will I need more chunks due to the size of the brisket, or will the normal 1 wood chunk be ok?

I would use 4 for the brisket. I use 1-2 for my chicken depending on size...so you may just want to use 3 for your brisket if they are fist/tennis ball size.

I would use 4 for the brisket. I use 1-2 for my chicken depending on size...so you may just want to use 3 for your brisket if they are fist/tennis ball size.
Thanks for the reply, they are the standard Weber Apple wood chunks, so probably the size of a tennis ball. I do want to get a smoke ring, tough call.

Depends on how old the wood is and the moisture content. Since you like a light smoke taste go 2 chunks.
You can always dial it up or down on your next one based on your tastes.

Yep thats a fair comment, I do want a decent smoke ring though, suppose I will have to make a sacrifice for the taste

If i do an 8 pound pork should i will usually put in about 5 chunks, 2 in the middle and one in front of each vent. However when i did chicken thighs and a bear can chicken I only used about 3 due to the shorter amount of cook time. Usually the meat will only take smoke for 4-6 hours I think. So any smoke after that time is usually not doing anything as far as flavor.

Here's the science on the smoke ring. TL/DR -- no smoke required; no wood required either.

Also, the smoke ring is just a visual -- it doesn't make any contribution to the smokey taste. Smoke flavor comes from smoke particles clinging to the surface of the meat. And smoke clings best to cold, moist meat.

Hence the use of water pans (for temp control, but also for moisture/smoke absorption). And spritzing -- especially if no water pan is used (which is how I cook). And the importance of getting smoke on the meat early in the cook -- which is when the meat is the coldest and moistest. Especially if you use a slather of mustard or something else (which I do).

Because of the importance of early smoke, the Weber SmokeFire has that smoke boost feature to use at the start of a cook.

Last edited:
I often find that large chunks don't fully burn -- even over a long cook. I usually split chunks down to about 3"x2"x1" and spread them out on top of the unlit briquettes. So if I'd normally use 4 large chunks, I might go with 8 or 10 smaller ones. I'll also put a large chunk (or 2) in the chimney starter along with the briquettes. It may not make a difference, but it helps me gauge the readiness of the fire (when the smoke is light and wispy, it's ready).

Jeff

Here's the science on the smoke ring. TL/DR -- no smoke required; no wood required either.

Also, the smoke ring is just a visual -- it doesn't make any contribution to the smokey taste. Smoke flavor comes from smoke particles clinging to the surface of the meat. And smoke clings best to cold, moist meat.

Hence the use of water pans (for temp control, but also for moisture/smoke absorption). And spritzing -- especially if no water pan is used (which is how I cook). And the importance of getting smoke on the meat early in the cook -- which is when the meat is the coldest and moistest. Especially if you use a slather of mustard or something else (which I do).

Because of the importance of early smoke, the Weber SmokeFire has that smoke boost feature to use at the start of a cook.

Learn something new every day. Thanks for the heads up

Back