Wondering about long-haul smokes. How do you maintain a fire/temp?

Mark Dietrich

TVWBB Member
Hey, all. I've had the WSM a while, but I don't use it that often, and I wouldn't exactly say I have any instincts for managing it. Right now, I've got six shoulders in, for a total of about 43 pounds. I Minioned it, so I'm guessing I'm good for fourteen or so hours, but then what? Do you add lit or unlit? How much? Is it a big deal if you get some temperature fluctuation while you're reloading?

Sorry if this sounds clueless. But I've been frustrated in the past. I've even broken everything down and re-Minioned, which might be the nuclear option, but at least I didn't have to worry about running out of gas (so to speak). What's your best solution when you're in it for the long haul?

For myself - If it looks like I need to refuel I just start a small batch with a chimmey starter and just add it in with a shovel or use the door as a chute. Then I will arrange as necessary. Then just monitor. I use only lump so things may not arrange as nicely as briquettes.

Mark - 14 hours might get it done. I’ve added unlit to a good base of embers and lit when needed.
Best wishes to you you!

I add unlit through the door but on one occasion I had to add lit and I lifted the center body and top off. Then I added the charcoal I needed. That was during a cook the size of yours on my 18.5 and at 225 it took 22 hours to get the last Butt finished.

I add unlit through the door but on one occasion I had to add lit and I lifted the center body and top off. Then I added the charcoal I needed. That was during a cook the size of yours on my 18.5 and at 225 it took 22 hours to get the last Butt finished.
I bet it was worth it. I’m seven hours in, and humming along at 240. It already smells heavenly. I’ll check everything at 12, and if it looks like I’ve got a fire in there, I’ll start with unlit and see how it goes. What do you think- a chimney full? Two? Thanks for the feedback.

Mark, another approach is to load up your WSM with max charcoal using the Minion Method and when it starts to run out, remove meat from the cooker, wrap tightly in butcher paper, and transfer to your home oven at the same pit temp and continue cooking until tenderness is achieved.

In fact, you don't have to wait for the cooker to start to run out of fuel. For many years, I've cooked brisket until about 170*F, then wrapped and finished in the oven. You can do this with butts, too.

This article shows it being done with foil, but butcher paper can also be used. Once wrapped, the meat doesn't care whether the heat comes from your pit or your oven.

Brisket – Smoked & Oven Finished

Never have to add anything
I can go 20+ hrs without issue, extend coal ring with expanded metal for $10.
I've done 21 hours I figure about 24 is my Max.
Heater meter and blower /damper takes care of the control

If/when I need to add charcoal, I lift off the center section (I have added handles), push the remaining coals into a pile on one side, then add unlit charcoal beside and over those coals. This effectively starts a new Minion burn, except that if I am quick enough it only takes a few minutes to get back up to cooking temperature. Since I have a (very old but still working) Stoker I don't have to play with the vents after reloading.

Back