Wireless Thermometers for WSM

Oh right, this was the thread! Here's my impressions of the Weber wireless temp probe. The short short version is skip it if you want a pit probe, it doesn't have that functionality. It's strictly two meat probes.

The Weber 6741 won't do the same job as a Maverick. It doesn't have the ability to monitor your pit temp and alert if it goes above or below a threshold. It's strictly for telling when your meat is done. Other little nit-pick, the Maverick transmitter that sits out by the pit can be hung off your WSM door or wedged into the gap between the lid and the middle section. The Weber is a flat base--it needs to sit on a table or something right next to the smoker.

The Weber looks like it uses the same sort of probe as the Mavericks, but I didn't test swapping between the two. If that's the case, I would fully expect the Weber to have the same probe problems as the Maverick, i.e. you need to avoid pinching the probe wires if possible and don't get them wet or they'll fail more quickly.

As for the Maverick 732 vs. 733, I consider that a toss up.

The 733 is by far the more flexible device. It uses hybrid probes that can be stuck in the meat or put on a clip to measure pit temps. The transmitter is exactly the same between the two, but the receiver for the 733 is much smarter also. You can adjust either input to be a meat temp or a pit temp, so you can watch two meats, two pits, or a mix of the two. The big downside is the screen. The 733's screen is harder to read than the 732--it has a smaller viewing angle where it's really clearly visible, and when it's kicked back on its stand it's harder to read than the 732. Not impossible and not even really bad, just harder to read.

The 732 is designed to have one pit temp and one meat temp. The receiver is easier to read, both because of a wider viewing angle and also the numbers are just plain bigger because there's less stuff on the screen. It's a little more of a hassle to change your target pit and meat temps on the 732. Instead of having up/down buttons, you have to press and hold a button and it increases the temperature upward. So if for example you're trying to change your pit high temp alarm from 280 to 260, you have to hold down the button while it goes from 280 all the way up to 450 or so, then it starts over at your low temp alarm and counts up from there.

I think for my money, I'd go with a 733, but that's just because I really like the flexibility of using the probes however I want. Also I cook different meats at different temperatures, so it's a little easier to make adjustments on the 733 once you learn how it works. But, I'm not getting rid of my 732 to get another 733 either. The 733 isn't so much better that it's worth spending the money twice if you already have a 732, at least in my opinion. The Weber 6741, I'd skip unless you just *really* like Weber stuff and only need to add a couple meat thermometers.

Great info Dave. I hate to admit that I did not know that there was a difference between a pit probe and meat probe. I bought the Weber 6741 thinking I could use one for the grate temp and the other for what's smoking.I opened it up yesterday and put batteries in and turned it on with both probes plugged in.They both read the temp that my house thermostat was set at. What makes the 2 types of probes different? Looks like I'm returning the Weber and getting a Maverick........or just forget about notches and holes and grommets and smoke with standard dome thermometer !!

Following up on my previous post if anyone is interested.Purchased a 2 piece step drill pack from Harbor Freight for $17 on sale from $29.Larger bit was used to drill a 1.25" hole for Weber grommet.
IMAG0039_zpsqgl6ox2f.jpg

IMAG0038_zpskytc6kjz.jpg

Touched up bare metal with 2 coats of high temp BBQ paint I already had and installed grommet.
IMAG0041_zpsrz7gcl6g.jpg

Used the 6741 Weber thermometer for a brisket and butt this past weekend and it was flawless.
IMAG0042_zpsmuau2ttv.jpg

Will probably end up notching center section for top probe wire and getting a stick thermometer to go through grommet for grate temp.Very happy with mods so far.The addiction continues...!

Great info in this thread.

I'm leaning toward the ET 733 with the upgraded US-made probes.

So the Weber silicone grommet is $12-ish if you can get it ?

I called Weber and they would not sell me one so I went to my local Ace Hardware where I bought my 18.5 and the owner got one through her Weber rep and didn't charge me.I bought the 6741 therm not knowing it was 2 meat probes only but now I'll be able to monitor 2 meats and I'll use a stick therm through the grommet for grate temp.

Why wont the meat probe register the temperature in the chamber?

I see there will soon be an iGrill2. Anyone think it's worth waiting for this?

I don't know that I've ever seen a product (meat thermometers in general, wireless in particular) with such consistently bad reviews. It seems like a surprisingly high number of people have bad probes and other problems. Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is.

Back