Wireless Sound System for TV

Now I'm gonna have to shop for a new surround sound system; I'm using a wired Onkyo system that I bought in 2007, lol.

I have had projectors since the mid 90's starting with a Sony 640 x480 that was almost 4K but in $$;-). Still have the Same NHT speakers though. Projector is a Wemax One Pro 1080P Ultra Short Throw (UST) Projector that is about 6 years old. Someday when we settle down I will upgrade to 4K but the Wemax has been really good.
I started with a Sanyo Z2 which I bought used for 1250 it was 720. I moved up to an Epson 8350 which was 1080p bought new for 999 which the difference between 720-1080p was pretty significant and the 8350 was way brighter ran that for 11 years. I moved to the Epson 5040UB a few years ago which is brighter still, actually need to turn the brightness down a bit my room in the basement has really good light control like almost no light and that projector with a very light grey almost white screen which I painted with a special formula which I got from AVS lights up the room no need to turn my can lights on which are mounted behing the projector can have a conversation with guests and actually see them . I paid 1300 for that used it was 2500 when it came out its 4k as I said and yes its an improvement over 1080 since almost all football is now in 4k among other things. Its not as big a jump from 720 to 1080 but its a jump. The colors and blacks on the 5040UB are miles better than my 8350 but again its an ultra black projector.

Everything is going laser which is pricey but by the time I need to replace this I think for under 2k you will be able to get a very nice laser projector that outperforms my 5040UB most of the lasers do not they don't have the contrast and black levels of the 5040ub unless you spend big money.

You probably know this but the AVS site is the go to site for projectors as well as audio stuff or whatever all the info you would ever need on whats out there and what maybe coming.

Maybe just a decent soundbar, with wireless woofer hookup and satellite rear channels wireless as well. DOn't want to spend a lot either. I'm pretty happy if it's basically loud, shakes the floor and makes things sound like they're around me.

Larry, what is your budget?

I started with a Sanyo Z2 which I bought used for 1250 it was 720. I moved up to an Epson 8350 which was 1080p bought new for 999 which the difference between 720-1080p was pretty significant and the 8350 was way brighter ran that for 11 years. I moved to the Epson 5040UB a few years ago which is brighter still, actually need to turn the brightness down a bit my room in the basement has really good light control like almost no light and that projector with a very light grey almost white screen which I painted with a special formula which I got from AVS lights up the room no need to turn my can lights on which are mounted behing the projector can have a conversation with guests and actually see them . I paid 1300 for that used it was 2500 when it came out its 4k as I said and yes its an improvement over 1080 since almost all football is now in 4k among other things. Its not as big a jump from 720 to 1080 but its a jump. The colors and blacks on the 5040UB are miles better than my 8350 but again its an ultra black projector.

Everything is going laser which is pricey but by the time I need to replace this I think for under 2k you will be able to get a very nice laser projector that outperforms my 5040UB most of the lasers do not they don't have the contrast and black levels of the 5040ub unless you spend big money.

You probably know this but the AVS site is the go to site for projectors as well as audio stuff or whatever all the info you would ever need on whats out there and what maybe coming.
That 5040ub looks really nice. I bought the UST and screen because we had bad light control and a brick wall. I did the paint on the wall 3 houses ago and loved it. The UST has the laser and I really like it. The next projector will have to be a laser also as I did get tired of replacing bulbs.
This is system now
1699573349701.png
This is the last one with painted screen
1699573610198.png

Larry.
I am using a Samsung hw-j450 soundbar connected to a Samsung 80 inch uhd TV via the optical ports. It has a Bluetooth connection to the woofer. It was not a bank breaker an does a good job.

Larry.
I am using a Samsung hw-j450 soundbar connected to a Samsung 80 inch uhd TV via the optical ports. It has a Bluetooth connection to the woofer. It was not a bank breaker an does a good job.
I upgraded from optical that I used for years to HDMI for ARC so that the TV can control the soundbar and my wife just needs just the TV remote to turn everything on / off and adjust volume. Unfortunately the optical can't pass those commands. Also optical is limited to 5.1 and does not pass some of the newer codecs.

Yeah, I don't mind if the main device connects with HDMI to the TV set. Mostly I don't want wires all over to the rear channels. Ideally, the main sound bar and or front devices can hook to HDMI or optical, and then perhaps I can have a wireless woofer, and the rear satellite speakers wireless. If my wife wasn't such a hoarder, and I could clear my basement out, I would not mind some wires as then I could simply run them under the floor. But impossible married to a hoarder

Yeah, I don't mind if the main device connects with HDMI to the TV set. Mostly I don't want wires all over to the rear channels. Ideally, the main sound bar and or front devices can hook to HDMI or optical, and then perhaps I can have a wireless woofer, and the rear satellite speakers wireless. If my wife wasn't such a hoarder, and I could clear my basement out, I would not mind some wires as then I could simply run them under the floor. But impossible married to a hoarder
Says the man with how many grills?

Very different scenario. If you saw my basment you would understand :D
My mother was borderline and my sister is defiantly one. When growing up I bought a dirt bike that my mother would NOT let me have. I kept it in the garage hidden under all the stuff she had. About a year went by and she went searching for a bag of dog food and found it. While in college on break, I had a 72 Chevelle SS and the clutch went out in January when my parents where on vacation. I cleaned out the garage with many trips to donate most of the stuff, put up a shelf and organized the keeper stuff, and changed my clutch in the garage. When my mother got back, she screamed my name and yelled where is all my stuff. I said to her "tell me what you are missing and need and I will buy you a new one". No response. When I came home on Spring break, there was a new electric garage door opener and her car was in the garage. She kept her car in the garage from then until the home was sold many years later.

I have the Samsung 650 soundbar system that is several years old. Sometimes I have problems hearing the speaking part of the sound, its like the music overwhelms the voice. Anyone else experience this?
I had that problem too, where music overwhelmed voices. I picked up a 5.1 channel LG Wi-Fi sound bar from Costco about 4 years ago .. (model SKC9), got a great deal on it, it was just returned and had only one thing unpacked. Anyhow, It has a feature to push volume of the center speaker louder…and that totally fixed my low voice problem. Look for a bar that you can control R/L, Center, and rear speaker volumes independently. Hope you find a fix!

I had that problem too, where music overwhelmed voices. I picked up a 5.1 channel LG Wi-Fi sound bar from Costco about 4 years ago .. (model SKC9), got a great deal on it, it was just returned and had only one thing unpacked. Anyhow, It has a feature to push volume of the center speaker louder…and that totally fixed my low voice problem. Look for a bar that you can control R/L, Center, and rear speaker volumes independently. Hope you find a fix!
It is a very wide spread problem today. I had my hearing tested and it is perfect and I have to use subtitles to watch movies. If you do a search you will find many articles on this issue. Here is one. https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/he...icult-to-understand-and-three-ways-to-fix-it/

Good price. Not what I am looking for. No rear channels. I am going to keep looking at Samsung to coordinate remotes

Back