Wireless Sound System for TV

So I guess there is nothing that is truly "wireless" so I know I will have to compromise a little Costco has this https://www.lg.com/us/sound-bars/lg-sp7r-sound-bar on Black Friday weekend special. $199. So I decided to grab it. Apparently is uses a small receiver that connects with Bluetooth to the main sound bar which needs one wire for power and one HDMI or optic cable. The wooofer also (other than power) connects wirelessly (either to the main bar or the TV itself I am unsure.
The 2 rear speakers only need wiring to the wireless receiver which I will punch in through the floor and run in the basement and out of sight. Not sure when I will do this "undertaking" but I at least wanted to take the chance on grabbing one before they were gone.

So the rear satelite speakers connect to the Sub? I guess I can live with minor wiring like that. But I am trying to lose all the wires and that huge tank of a system under my set. Everything in that cabinet gets quite hot
What is the "huge tank of a system"? I might be interested if it's something nice. It might be better than what you can buy now.
I have three old Acurus amps driving three pairs of speakers in the garage. They handle the woofers with an iron fist. Nice clear sounds at reasonable listening levels. Late fall I crank it up to blow the leaves out of the gutters! You won't get that nowadays with the newer soundbars that they sell.

Gerry

What is the "huge tank of a system"? I might be interested if it's something nice. It might be better than what you can buy now.
I have three old Acurus amps driving three pairs of speakers in the garage. They handle the woofers with an iron fist. Nice clear sounds at reasonable listening levels. Late fall I crank it up to blow the leaves out of the gutters! You won't get that nowadays with the newer soundbars that they sell.

Gerry
It's some type of a Sony. It generates so much heat, that even after I too the back out of my cabinet, I can't leave my BluRay and DVD players in there. They actually malfunction (which is why I have 2). I thought one was "bad" and bought another. Then it too did the same. So when I reached into the cabinet and realized how hot they'd gotten, I put them on top. Trying to eliminate clutter and all the heat. When I pull it out I'll post photo

Gerry
Here ya go Gerry. I have no clue it's value or even if I'll sell it yet, simply because it all depends how well the new LG system works. BTW I have no clue what "7 channel" means. The LG says the same thing. I'll say one thing that thing is heavy as all get out
20231126_150242.jpg

... I will punch in through the floor and run in the basement and out of sight.
Have you considered moving the receiver to the basement? and run all the wires through the floor. You'll need an IR repeater for the remote, but that receiver and decent set of voice matched speakers will sound very good.

Add a powered sub for the low freq effects.

BTW I have no clue what "7 channel" means.
2 sub-woofers (front and rear), a center speaker channel, and 4 satellite speaker channels.

EDIT: I have an older Yamaha 7 channel system and this was the config as I remember. I only have one sub-woofer. The newer systems have several different configs.

Last edited:
Have you considered moving the receiver to the basement? and run all the wires through the floor. You'll need an IR repeater for the remote, but that receiver and decent set of voice matched speakers will sound very good.

Add a powered sub for the low freq effects.
Way beyond my scope. And quite honestly if that LG system sounds good, I will be exceedingly happy without all the clutter

2 sub-woofers (front and rear), a center speaker channel, and 4 satellite speaker channels.

EDIT: I have an older Yamaha 7 channel system and this was the config as I remember. I only have one sub-woofer. The newer systems have several different configs.
I think the 7 channel receivers generally have Dolby Atmos functionality...which I believe adds yet more spatial sound along with additional rear channel speakers.
My hearing is at it's limits with 5.1 and I have an acceptable sound setup in our basement and a similar but smaller setup in our beach house.
Pioneer receivers in both.

I think the 7 channel receivers generally have Dolby Atmos functionality...which I believe adds yet more spatial sound along with additional rear channel speakers.
My hearing is at it's limits with 5.1 and I have an acceptable sound setup in our basement and a similar but smaller setup in our beach house.
Pioneer receivers in both.
Well for me, I can hear quite well, but I can't tell directionality. Which sometimes drives me nuts. If I am in a room and someone says something out of my line of sight, I have to look all around to find out where they are. On the road, I'll hear an emergency vehicle but be unable to tell where it's coming from.
I've learned to deal with it as I've had the trouble since catching Mono, back when I was around 25/26 and my ear drum got compromised.
However I still enjoy good sound quality. Regardless of my spatial interpretation. So the issue for me going with the LG sound system was not to upgrade "quality" (which quite honestly I doubt it could improve on that higher end Sony system I have), but to help declutter and just make things more aesthetically pleasing.
However I still have a fairly discerning "ear" and if it's not up to my standards, it will end up back at Costco.

Well for me, I can hear quite well, but I can't tell directionality. Which sometimes drives me nuts. If I am in a room and someone says something out of my line of sight, I have to look all around to find out where they are. On the road, I'll hear an emergency vehicle but be unable to tell where it's coming from.
I've learned to deal with it as I've had the trouble since catching Mono, back when I was around 25/26 and my ear drum got compromised.
However I still enjoy good sound quality. Regardless of my spatial interpretation. So the issue for me going with the LG sound system was not to upgrade "quality" (which quite honestly I doubt it could improve on that higher end Sony system I have), but to help declutter and just make things more aesthetically pleasing.
However I still have a fairly discerning "ear" and if it's not up to my standards, it will end up back at Costco.
I've found the soundbars to have excellent sound quality. Perhaps not as great as a system with a receiver, powered subwoofer, rear surrounds and left, right and center channel quality speakers...but it seems the soundbar manufacturers have really stepped up that Bose technology of maximizing speaker sound from tiny boxes.
My hearing is compromised from years as a cop and winter surfing most of my life in frigid NJ water(surfers ear...it's a thing)...so I hit a point of diminishing returns with home theater gear.

That Sony is ancient and no doubt at the time it was very good but that looks like it came out in 2008. Question I had is what kind of speakers do you have are they quality speakers? Because if they are and you don't need 7.1 if your running a 5.1 system something like this and I have bought from these people before has all the modern codecs does not support Atmos which you don't need it will support Arc and Earc with a firmware upgrade you present system you can use your remote as Joe said. It also will support a 4k tv through HDMI so you can run everything thru the receiver. Again if your speakers are good then this will be far superior to a soundbar setup. The receivers have come along way and they are not the inferno's they used to be.

That Sony is ancient and no doubt at the time it was very good but that looks like it came out in 2008. Question I had is what kind of speakers do you have are they quality speakers? Because if they are and you don't need 7.1 if your running a 5.1 system something like this and I have bought from these people before has all the modern codecs does not support Atmos which you don't need it will support Arc and Earc with a firmware upgrade you present system you can use your remote as Joe said. It also will support a 4k tv through HDMI so you can run everything thru the receiver. Again if your speakers are good then this will be far superior to a soundbar setup. The receivers have come along way and they are not the inferno's they used to be.

I think likely earlier. It belonged to my sister in law and she got it when she got divorced and brought it into the marriage when she married my bro. about 10 years ago. He didn't want it so it's at my house

So, my opinion is you need to check out the Polk Audio line and especially the Magnifi Max System. They have one version with the bar and sub and another version with the 2 wireless satellite surrounds, but you can get the surrounds later if you start with just the bar and sub and decide you want to add the subs.

I am deaf in my left ear so spatial audio kicks my ***. I have a home theater system that I spend thousands on with all of the channels and traditional speakers and hot running amp like you are talking about. But, I ended up getting a soundbar and sub out of some space and situational circumstances and the Polk Audio systems are really good.

What I like is that you can control the voice channel on it's own so you can customize the sound to amplify the voices. Plus it has a night mode that shuts down the sub and limits some base so you can watch TV while others are sleeping and not wake them up.

Also, with my half deafness, I much prefer Polk Audio's warmer sound as well as their emphasis on clean bass so between the two I get the best sound for my personal issues.

This is the system ^^^^^^^ I am getting for our new home that we are about to start building. Currently I have the Signa and I am really happy with it and it has a lot of the same features I mentioned are great about Polk Audio. This is definitely where I would look considering you have some of the same issues I battle with hearing.

Back