Wireless Sound System for TV

So, my opinion is you need to check out the Polk Audio line and especially the Magnifi Max System. They have one version with the bar and sub and another version with the 2 wireless satellite surrounds, but you can get the surrounds later if you start with just the bar and sub and decide you want to add the subs.

I am deaf in my left ear so spatial audio kicks my ***. I have a home theater system that I spend thousands on with all of the channels and traditional speakers and hot running amp like you are talking about. But, I ended up getting a soundbar and sub out of some space and situational circumstances and the Polk Audio systems are really good.

What I like is that you can control the voice channel on it's own so you can customize the sound to amplify the voices. Plus it has a night mode that shuts down the sub and limits some base so you can watch TV while others are sleeping and not wake them up.

Also, with my half deafness, I much prefer Polk Audio's warmer sound as well as their emphasis on clean bass so between the two I get the best sound for my personal issues.

This is the system ^^^^^^^ I am getting for our new home that we are about to start building. Currently I have the Signa and I am really happy with it and it has a lot of the same features I mentioned are great about Polk Audio. This is definitely where I would look considering you have some of the same issues I battle with hearing.

Looks nice, will keep that in mind for when we move back to the house.

So, my opinion is you need to check out the Polk Audio line and especially the Magnifi Max System. They have one version with the bar and sub and another version with the 2 wireless satellite surrounds, but you can get the surrounds later if you start with just the bar and sub and decide you want to add the subs.

I am deaf in my left ear so spatial audio kicks my ***. I have a home theater system that I spend thousands on with all of the channels and traditional speakers and hot running amp like you are talking about. But, I ended up getting a soundbar and sub out of some space and situational circumstances and the Polk Audio systems are really good.

What I like is that you can control the voice channel on it's own so you can customize the sound to amplify the voices. Plus it has a night mode that shuts down the sub and limits some base so you can watch TV while others are sleeping and not wake them up.

Also, with my half deafness, I much prefer Polk Audio's warmer sound as well as their emphasis on clean bass so between the two I get the best sound for my personal issues.

This is the system ^^^^^^^ I am getting for our new home that we are about to start building. Currently I have the Signa and I am really happy with it and it has a lot of the same features I mentioned are great about Polk Audio. This is definitely where I would look considering you have some of the same issues I battle with hearing.

I don't see any rear channel listed or available Polk is a good name.

Well, not sure if I am doing something wrong but there is not much sound from back channels or sub. And if using the ROKU to feed the programming blah from the system. IDK Honestly it may go back

So I got it dialed in workinng directly from the TV apps i.e. Netflix or live antenna feed. But if I want to watch something through my ROKU Ultra, the sound totally blows. The old system did not behave like this. So is this some kind of incompatibility between a Samsung TV and an LG sound system? Have I got somehting hooked up wrong?

So I got it dialed in workinng directly from the TV apps i.e. Netflix or live antenna feed. But if I want to watch something through my ROKU Ultra, the sound totally blows. The old system did not behave like this. So is this some kind of incompatibility between a Samsung TV and an LG sound system? Have I got somehting hooked up wrong?
How is the soundbar connected to the TV? HDMI ARC? Optical out? Tin Can and String?

Connected HDMI ARC and has backup of tin can and string :D. Actually I have tried it through optical, HDMI ARC and bluetooth. All behave the same way. Only the actual bar itself operates everything else is DOA.

So the issue only seems to happen when I am using my ROKU device as a source for the TV. Actual sound bar outputs audio, nothing else. Tried every input as well. (optical, HDMI ARC, and Bluetooth). While they all function they only function partially.
Tried also my Samsung BluRay player. Everything fully works (though I was not watching anything incredible effects wise just Hogan's Heroes. But the Sub is working so I will have to assume by default the surround would work.
I have not tried it with my LG BluRay yet (and yes I have 2 BluRay players). The reason is "funny". When I got the LG player, I had put it in the cabinet with the sound system. Despite cutting away the entire back of the cabinet, the level of heat in there was so incredible it was causing the LG to "fault" during play. So not realizing the issue I bought the Samsung. It too began malfunctioning which is well how we got here :D Anyway I now have 2 BluRay players.
So, now, everything seems to work except for low freq audio and surround during play from ROKU. IDK, if it is an issue with ROKU, incompatibilty of the TV to the sound system, etc. I have tried checking all the sound settings of the ROKU device, and this never happened before. Which is another reason I am scratching my head.

So the issue only seems to happen when I am using my ROKU device as a source for the TV. Actual sound bar outputs audio, nothing else. Tried every input as well. (optical, HDMI ARC, and Bluetooth). While they all function they only function partially.
Tried also my Samsung BluRay player. Everything fully works (though I was not watching anything incredible effects wise just Hogan's Heroes. But the Sub is working so I will have to assume by default the surround would work.
I have not tried it with my LG BluRay yet (and yes I have 2 BluRay players). The reason is "funny". When I got the LG player, I had put it in the cabinet with the sound system. Despite cutting away the entire back of the cabinet, the level of heat in there was so incredible it was causing the LG to "fault" during play. So not realizing the issue I bought the Samsung. It too began malfunctioning which is well how we got here :D Anyway I now have 2 BluRay players.
So, now, everything seems to work except for low freq audio and surround during play from ROKU. IDK, if it is an issue with ROKU, incompatibilty of the TV to the sound system, etc. I have tried checking all the sound settings of the ROKU device, and this never happened before. Which is another reason I am scratching my head.
I haven't looked at it in a bit, but there are sound settings in the Roku menu and I'm pretty sure there is a setting about which audio it outputs. You might check that.

This is another reason I stick to Polk Audio for my sound especially with the soundbars. They are creating equipment that must work with all brands of televisions and players. LG also makes televisions and players so it's not beyond the realm to at the very least make it work flawlessly with their TVs and players and maybe be a PITA on other brands or even at worst flat out not work. Same with Sony, Samsung, and Vizio. So, I've found that going with the pure audio company has yielded better results working on multiple platforms and brands.

Well oddly enough, my last 2 systems worked perfectly and they were Sony (not Samsung) and back when I first got the first Sony it was on a JVC tube type TV. Since all I have bought are Samsung (other than one for my basement a cheap Hitachi) and I bought my grandson a TCL ROKU tv. But, sadly some of those (actually all) those systems you pointed me to would break my bank right now.

Maybe take a look at this article:

If you can test one of the bluray players, that might help narrow things down a bit too.
The control thing is not an issue. It works fine with the TV remote. And yes I did test it with at least my Samsung BluRay and it works just fine. The only fly in my ointment is the ROKU player not fully exploiting all the soundbar's capabilities. I just find it very odd

Does the Roku‘s audio settings menu show that it is connected to the soundbar for audio output?

The article also mentions an option called “Virtual Surround for Dolby Atmos” and notes that “This will create a surround sound experience without back speakers.”

I assume the only connection between the TV and the Roku is HDMI?

Last edited:
So, in playing around a little more today, I discovered the issue seems to only be on Netflix when played through the ROKU. So, in any case jury is out on this thing. I was hoping to find something that sounded decent but did not break the bank. I did move the sub though and it does seem to work better. I think I may have had it too close to the sofa, and perhaps the soft material was absorbing some of the sound. Though the rear channels and sub do not run nearly as well when fed from Netflix on the ROKU. An issue that I don't think was there with the old system no matter what the source

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to have any sort of power meter, like a Kill-A-Watt meter?

The receiver is rated at 390w power consumption, but I assume that is at full power. You should be drawing less than that at normal volume. The heat given off is wasted energy, of course, and you don't need a meter to know that, but a meter (if you have one) will quantify it.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, do you happen to have any sort of power meter, like a Kill-A-Watt meter?

The receiver is rated at 390w power consumption, but I assume that is at full power. You should be drawing less than that at normal volume. The heat given off is wasted energy, of course, and you don't need a meter to know that, but a meter (if you have one) will quantify it.
Thing is what good would a meter do me? What is the point? That giant Sony box is like a furnace in there. Even when turned off it goes into a "standby" mode and still generates a lot of heat. When turned on, unless you leave to doors open if you reach inside and touch a device inside there it will almost burn your hand. I think I have the ROKU issue (sort of ) figured out. This system does not have quite the "punch" of that furnace, but it's so much less cluttered.
I may look for another bar type system and see what I can find before I fully commit and run the 2 wires needed under the floor and mount the 2 rear speakers on the wall.
I think some of what I am seeing is also my TV does not have EARC only ARC and I think there is some loss of functionality there.
But, I may still try to find a bar system with a "shorter" bar. As this LG one hangs over the cabinet about 3-4" on ea side. Little weird looking. But for now I LOVE the wireless aspect of the SUB and the receiver to the rear channels with only the 2 wires between the receiver and feeding the 2 speakers. So much less "clutter and fuss". I love that aesthetic

Back