Wireless Sound System for TV

Thing is what good would a meter do me? What is the point? That giant Sony box is like a furnace in there. Even when turned off it goes into a "standby" mode and still generates a lot of heat. When turned on, unless you leave to doors open if you reach inside and touch a device inside there it will almost burn your hand.
Exactly. I didn't know if you had a meter (apparently you don't). I bought one on a whim at HF one day and I think it's a pretty useful tool (I'm a tool guy), but if you don't have one I wouldn't run right out and buy one.

That 5040ub looks really nice. I bought the UST and screen because we had bad light control and a brick wall. I did the paint on the wall 3 houses ago and loved it. The UST has the laser and I really like it. The next projector will have to be a laser also as I did get tired of replacing bulbs.
This is system now
View attachment 81832
This is the last one with painted screen
View attachment 81833
Not sure another projector for me is coming down the line and it certainly would have been laser. But Hisense has a 100" tv out now and those prices from what they started at is more like 4k, TCL has a 98 that right now on Amazon is under 3k. As you know there is not a projector out there that can do HDR the same way a TV can unless maybe and I am not sure spend maybe 20k. Projectors are just not bright enough for HDR.

As I said I have a 110" screen I could not live with 85" but I sure could live with 98 or 100.

Larry do not drive your self nuts again if your speakers are good and only you can answer that the receiver I tagged up above will give you way better sound that you are getting from a soundbar and all you need to do is switch over the speakers to the new receiver and whatever HDMI cables you have. These new receivers do not throw off the heat the old ones did actually the worst offender was Onkyo if you wanted to talk about heat. That receiver as I said was $199 dollars hook it up and you are done.

Is your Roku Ultra an older model and is it in the same cabinet as the receiver? The older Ultra's were also flamethrowers which the new ones are not they are running far less heat wise. Just google it but there in one you tube or whatever there was a 10-15 degree temp difference from the old models to the new.

My ultra is maybe 2 years old. I guess I can look into the receiver. But, I gotta say one thing for sure. I am lovin the wireless

2nd the suggestion for a newer AVR that runs cooler sounds. It‘ll be tough to match the sound of nice wired AVR system with wireless/soundboard. Just doesn’t seem right to me that it’s running so hot.

Another thought, for its worth, order cables that are just the length you need them. Reduces cable clutter significantly. You can get nice cables from Amazon at very inexpensive prices and practically any length you need. Maybe add some wire channel like this to further tidy things up?

Good luck!

I am looking into all suggestions. Though after moving the sub to a corner behind the family room (hard surfaced rather than behind furniture or next to a sofa) I note the the sound has become much more full. Not "boomy" just full. Also as a quick experiment I moved the rear channel receiver near it, and temporarily placed the rear speakers on a counter at the rear of the room, the system seems to have come into "it's own" and is actually sounding pretty nice. I was watching as an experiment the 1st Mission Impossible last night. Pretty good now. Only thing I noticed is speech got a little drowned at low sound levels. After I am over the blood work "trauma" I intend to try other films maybe an Indiana Jones DVD and experiment with rear speaker placement around the room.
The other system had different speaker placemnt (I had the front center, and left/right) front sitting on the TV cabinet, the SUB behind the cabinet against hard surfaced walls and the rears were behind the sofa. Not the best but better than when I first set this system up.
I'll evaluate and make a decision before I go through running the rear channel wires under the floor. I should be able to do it with only 2 small holes.

So in doing further digging into this system I find inside the app there is a lot of control and settings to fine tune the system. In digging though these menus I am finding even when not opptimally placed I am getting some pretty great sound now. Actually beginning to enjoy jst how granular I can get with it. I will be doing more extensive experimentation to make final determinations. On the effect page there is one more option noted as "Super Bass" that did not show in the screenshot. So now even at low volumes I am getting respectible sound. Stay tuned

Screenshot_20231203_211441_LG Sound Bar.jpgScreenshot_20231203_211703_LG Sound Bar.jpg

Thing is what good would a meter do me? What is the point? That giant Sony box is like a furnace in there. Even when turned off it goes into a "standby" mode and still generates a lot of heat. When turned on, unless you leave to doors open if you reach inside and touch a device inside there it will almost burn your hand. I think I have the ROKU issue (sort of ) figured out. This system does not have quite the "punch" of that furnace, but it's so much less cluttered.
I may look for another bar type system and see what I can find before I fully commit and run the 2 wires needed under the floor and mount the 2 rear speakers on the wall.
I think some of what I am seeing is also my TV does not have EARC only ARC and I think there is some loss of functionality there.
But, I may still try to find a bar system with a "shorter" bar. As this LG one hangs over the cabinet about 3-4" on ea side. Little weird looking. But for now I LOVE the wireless aspect of the SUB and the receiver to the rear channels with only the 2 wires between the receiver and feeding the 2 speakers. So much less "clutter and fuss". I love that aesthetic
This might be a good option. One remote fir everything.
Limited-time deal: Roku Streambar & Roku Wireless Bass | 4K HDR Streaming Device & Premium Soundbar All in One, Wireless Subwoofer, Roku Voice Remote, Free & Live TV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C251GBD4/?tag=tvwb-20

This might be a good option. One remote fir everything.
Limited-time deal: Roku Streambar & Roku Wireless Bass | 4K HDR Streaming Device & Premium Soundbar All in One, Wireless Subwoofer, Roku Voice Remote, Free & Live TV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C251GBD4/?tag=tvwb-20
Leaves off rear channels. Then have to purchase separately and raises price way beyond the system I just picked up at Costco. And honestly don't need another streaming device. Honestly This LG is beginning to come together now that I am figuring out the setup process. Once I get back today, and do the Moccamaster temp test I will be playing around with more with the LG, speaker placement and so on.
But right now, the way it's coming together it soes not sound like it will be giving up anything to that giant furnace

Well, I have discovered part of my "issues" (actually pretty much all of them) with the LG sound system were me not understanding the app and knowing how to set the system up. I played with it today experimenting with possible speaker placements and so on, and flipped on the rest of that Mission Impossible movie I had been using to test. Well I gotta say I AM impressed. That thing puts out the sound. As good or better than that Sony did (although in fairness I don't know what I was doing with that system much at all). So who knows? Maybe if I understood how to dig into setting it up I might be more impressed with sound from it.
In any case it looks like the LG will stay. As it solves most if not all of my major headaches I had with the Sony. Primarily the furnace in my TV cabinet, the rat's nest of wiring and so on. And sounds great to boot. All I did literally was take it out of the box and plug it in and tried playing with the volume and tone controls (along with the balance) and was quite unimpressed.
I wish there was a way to do all that setup on screen, but it seems simple enough on the app

I just ordered this, we are in a rental for another year at least while the house gets worked on, we have been looking for something to improve these TV’s on a temp basis.
Thanks
The review that got me was that it was the best $49.99 you could spend, I have to agree. We just wanted something to make movies better and this delivered big time. Set up took 5 minutes, it’s plugged into a TCL TV via the hdmi arc and the tv remote automatically turns it on and controls sound.

I’ll give it to my son when we move home, and I’m sure I’ll regret it when he watches stuff late at night.

Back