Wipe down lid lip after each use?

Dan Crafton

TVWBB Member
The owners manual says to wipe down the lip of the lid and the upper lip of the middle section after each use.

My WSM leaks a small amount of smoke from this area and has since new. I've done about six cooks on it and it stil leaks about the same. My thinking is if I don't wipe this area down it will eventually seal the leaky area itself from the smoke build up......What do you think? Do all WSM's leak a little in this area?

Appreciate any opinions,
Dan

My thinking is if I don't wipe this area down it will eventually seal the leaky area itself from the smoke build up
your thinking is spot on Dan. Yes, they all leak some until it seals itself.
Did you read the 1st page in the owners manual that states, "Use this manual to start your fuel for your first cook." ?

Not exactly. I did not wipe down my lid early on when I first started cooking and the lid literally stuck to the middle section. At the risk of chipping off some porcelain, I took a flat head screw driver and pried the lid off. Now I do wipe the lid from time to time. When it's warm and usually at the end of the cook, I'll take a paper towel and some white vinegar and wipe it down. I don't think a little bit of leaking will hurt. Mine always leaks at the beginning of the cook. Careful.

Do not worry about a little smoke come out here and there. Believe me, I've had that lid sticking thing happen, better to wipe after each use!

Regards,
Chris

I don't wipe the gunk off the inside of my WSMs unless it gets really thick. Even with the gunk, the lid still leaks. As Chris said, a little leak won't effect the cooker.

Bob

Could be more of a issue if you use water as that does add a steaming effect which can make things sticky.
I don't, and rarely have my lid get stuck.

Tim

I've had my lid stick but I don't wipe it after every cook -- only when it begins to stick again. When it does stick, I remove the center section with the lid stuck on, start a fire, and when it heats up it unsticks. When it unsticks I wipe the mating surfaces. I go months between sticks.

When it does stick, I remove the center section with the lid stuck on, start a fire, and when it heats up it unsticks.

That's a great idea. I didn't think of that. Thankfully I didn't do too much damage prying my lid off, but I wish I'd have thought of heating it up.

I've had numerous issues with my lid sticking to the cooking barrel. Chris gave me a good tip to wipe both surfaces off after each smoke, while it is still warm, with some white vinegar or some degreaser. I put LOT'S of wood on my grill, and I LOVE to see a LOT of smoke coming out. IT will come out the lid, the side door, the probe holes and here and there, but I use a DigiQ DX2 Temp Controller and I promise you it NAILS the temp wherever I set it, even with the small leaks here and there. If my side door had excessive leaks, I might get some Nomex like the Green Egg uses to seal it's top lid to grill and run some around the side door. The lid, just wipe those surfaces off after a smoke and it should not give you much "Sticking" llike my WSM did me. It's just creosote and other gunk buildup but it will stick the lid on and make it very difficult to get the lid off.

I've had my WSM 18 for 6 years now and I use water in the pan. I've never had a problem with the lid sticking. I don't clean it either other than the cooking grates and water pan. I never foil my water pan. I clean after each cook with a scub pad.

Back