Wings

I have used a variety of recipes with excellent results. One of our favorites is to use Weber’s “Kick N Chicken” rub, grill with the Vortex in one of my Performers, then use the Honey, Apricot Preserves, and Chipotle in Adobo finishing sauce.

FWIW
Dale53

Last edited:
Jogan,
I am also new to wings and put out an SOS and got some great responses. I have that thread below.

I have done them twice on the kettle with the charcoal baskets in the center and the wings on the outside ring. They were out of this world good, both times!!! Here is a picture of the second cook. IMG_20200710_232607.jpg
Next I want to try four racks in the WSM with no water pan.

Hi Jogan,

This works for me as a go-to wing recipe:

1. Cut up wings, if necessary.
2. Mix with 1sp salt and 1tsp baking powder per pound of wings in large bowl. Let rest in fridge for several hours on a cooling rack in a baking pan.
3. Full chimney of lit coals in the Vortex. If I'm doing other stuff in addition to the wings, like thighs and/or veggies, I add about 25 unlit briquettes beneath the lit coals in the Vortex. Smoke wood or not. Usually no for me.
4. Cook till done/crispy. Usually about 40 minutes depending on the size of the wings.

Works every time.

Jogan,
I am also new to wings and put out an SOS and got some great responses. I have that thread below.

I have done them twice on the kettle with the charcoal baskets in the center and the wings on the outside ring. They were out of this world good, both times!!! Here is a picture of the second cook. View attachment 10552
Next I want to try four racks in the WSM with no water pan.
Did you put the veggies on the grill at the same time as the chicken wings?

How many minutes were the Veggies and Chicken Wings pulled from the grill?

Did you put the veggies on the grill at the same time as the chicken wings?

How many minutes were the Veggies and Chicken Wings pulled from the grill?
To start off I have to say I like my veggies chard! Raw carrots especially can handle the heat and the time to soften a little, cook, and char, cauliflower can also handle the heat and time to cook so yeah I put those veggies on at the same time as the chicken wings. I had two chicken quarters and they went on 20 mins before the wings and veggies. 45 to 50 mins after putting the veggies and wings, I took everything off at the same time.
I just got the vortex yesterday and did wings and legs. I put the legs on 10 mins before the wings and then once the wings and legs were all on they cooked for 50 mins and I took them off. Last night I made used the second half of a bunch of green beans I got locally and I used my CI Skillet for those. I blanched then in the kitchen and then throw them with salt, pepper and butter on the grill while I let the chicken cool. I did not get any pictures last night but I got some pictures of them on my Sunday night cook when I did the first half. Carrots and cauliflower I like to give a lot of time, snap peas, green beans, and broccoli take less time.
One last comment, some videos I read and other comments here about chicken wings and the vortex have said the wings are done around 30 -35 mins. For me the 3 times I made wings without the vortex, just the charcoal baskets pushed in the center, and last night using the vortex for the first time, wing cooks always take right around 50 mins.
Hey I am still waiting to see a photo of your cooks uploaded to this site from down in Costa Rica!

Hey I am still waiting to see a photo of your cooks uploaded to this site from down in Costa Rica!
Mike; Posting photos are on my Wife's TO-DO-List.

You are right-on regarding the Vortex time-factor in cooking chicken wings as my last Costa Rican Cook around a week ago took around 45 minutes to cook-up around 50 chicken wing parts along with a few whole potatoes.

Mike: I got down to the last item on my Wife's T0-DO list and the attached is my 2nd photo post from Costa Rica. The photo shows a Excellent Rubbermaid Canister with Lid bought off Amazon.com that I recently Brined 50 Chicken Wing Parts and 6 Chicken Legs. Hope to post more in the near future.IMG_0287.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Jogan,

This works for me as a go-to wing recipe:

1. Cut up wings, if necessary.
2. Mix with 1sp salt and 1tsp baking powder per pound of wings in large bowl. Let rest in fridge for several hours on a cooling rack in a baking pan.
3. Full chimney of lit coals in the Vortex. If I'm doing other stuff in addition to the wings, like thighs and/or veggies, I add about 25 unlit briquettes beneath the lit coals in the Vortex. Smoke wood or not. Usually no for me.
4. Cook till done/crispy. Usually about 40 minutes depending on the size of the wings.

Works every time.

I do something very similar.
I pat the wings dry then use aluminum free baking powder with no salt and get a light coating on all the wings. Let them rest a couple hours.
Full chimney of coals in the Vortex or baskets placed in center of charcoal grate. I used baskets for a LONG time and always worked great, but I recently purchased a used grill that came with a Vortex so I use it now.
Place wings on cooking grate around the perimeter not directly above coals.
Cook 30 min, flip, then cook another 10-15 min.
I put my sauce in a small cast iron pan and throw on the grill to heat the sauce up a little. Especially do this if it's older sauce that's been in the fridge to warm it up.
Pull wings after about 45 min total cook time, toss in sauce and eat away.

Vortex it is if chicken wings are involved. We have quite a few recipes for wings that we have modified for the vortex. I don't think there isn't a better way than the vortex.

Hey Kyle, the sauce spicy N sweet chili heat by Soy Vay is NOT so hot that all you get is heat and not much flavor. The flavor goes well on Chicken and Pork. If you find it, you must try it on Wings. What a treat.
Good luck and good cooking.
Bill

Back