Back to the beginning with some Baby Back Ribs

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
One of the first thing I cooked on my WSM was baby back ribs. It was the first time I ever cooked ribs and they now have become one of my favorite things to cook. I have been doing St Louis style and the last two times I have cooked full spares. So when I went to get a steak a few days ago my butcher buddy was like hey we got backs backs bogo free and I just marked these four down 20 mins ago because they are getting close to the sale by date. So for $8 I got two nice racks of Baby Backs.
They went on the smoker today at noon with B&B Briquettes, first time using them and I like them a lot and two chunks of hickory from the local BBQ store that I picked up yesterday. Opened them after an hour just to get a photo. IMG_20200815_201241.jpg
After two and a half hours I wrapped them in butter, brown sugar, and honey and back on the pit for an hour and 45 minutes. Here they are after being unwrapped and waiting to be sauced. IMG_20200815_201249.jpg
Me peeking while they are setting and finishing up.
IMG_20200815_201336.jpg
And they are waiting to be cut. IMG_20200815_201343.jpg
While the WSM was rocking the ribs and while watch Manchester City blow it again in the champions league I fired up the kettle and did some "oven" potatoes and fresh green beans, both I picked up from the local orchard today. IMG_20200815_201307.jpgIMG_20200815_201315.jpg
While I was giving the beans a few more minutes I sliced up the ribs. IMG_20200815_201419.jpg
Got a great smoke ring on them. IMG_20200815_201438.jpg
Beans are done. IMG_20200815_201448.jpg
And plates. My daughter and I tried to do a double rib cut and we ate the in between ribs while prepping. So those are two double ribs on the plate. IMG_20200815_201500.jpg
Everything was great, but the beans were actually the first thing to be gone. Got some left over ribs, thinking about pulling it off the bones, heating it up with some sauce and making sandwiches tomorrow for lunch.

Well, you nailed the heck out of this cook Michael. Looks absolutely amazing. Love the rich, deep red color. Your title made me smile. "Back to the Beginning". Reminds me of a time just before this world wide mess fell upon all of us. My wife and I were in a Best Buy looking at some gadget and the young kid, no more than 19 or 20 I'm guessing, waiting on us used the term "Back in the Day we used the .......". I looked at him and said Oh, you mean around 2017 or so???? :)

Well, you nailed the heck out of this cook Michael. Looks absolutely amazing. Love the rich, deep red color. Your title made me smile. "Back to the Beginning". Reminds me of a time just before this world wide mess fell upon all of us. My wife and I were in a Best Buy looking at some gadget and the young kid, no more than 19 or 20 I'm guessing, waiting on us used the term "Back in the Day we used the .......". I looked at him and said Oh, you mean around 2017 or so???? :)
I got my WSM late February just before the world turned upside down. That was one of the conversations at the dinner table last night about how the first time I made Baby Back Ribs they were still going to school, I was still going to work everyday, and how different everything is now. My youngest added the ribs weren't as good back then as they are now. Kids go back to school virtually in a week.

Back