Wings, Pizza and more.....

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Had a few guys over to watch the Pac-12 championship football game.

Started with my go-to recipe for wings as an appetizer. Couldn't be easier..... Set the pellet grill for 375°F, while it was heating up, I dusted some wings with MC The Gospel (has become my favorite all purpose rub.) When the grill was ready, put the wings on for 30 minutes. Flipped 'em, then another 10 minutes and done. Nice and crispy, great flavor, and served with chipotle ranch (diced chipotle in adobo mixed with Ranch dressing and a Tbsp of the adobo sauce.)

1701562000880.jpeg

I've been getting to know my new Ooni pizza oven, and feel like I've found my rhythm with it......six pies (only five pics)

1701562059641.jpeg

1701562088629.jpeg

1701562106703.jpeg

1701562121635.jpeg

1701562136367.jpeg

This am I realized I was out of mayo, so while I was baking bread and english muffins for the bakery, I mixed some up (egg, canola, mustard, salt, sugar, lemon juice vinegar)

1701562208613.jpeg

The aforementioned bread and muffins ready for customer pick-up....

1701562251762.jpeg

Chilling in the yard with a cigar, and the SEC Championship game.

Grill on!

R

Pies look good as always, which Ooni model did you score. I purchased the Karu 12, wood only & have only used it once, still not happy with my dough results.

Last edited:
Pies look good as always, which Ooni model did you score. I purchased the Karu 12, wood only & have only used it once, still not happy with my dough results.
Eric, I found a used Koda 16 for a screaming deal after hawking CL for three years! :) I've used other Ooni ovens that are pellet fired, and I found them too finicky for me, so wanted gas. Extra room in the 16 is really nice, too, as I can go up to a 14-15" pizza if I want/need to.

What's your current dough formula and process? What style of pizza are you trying to make (Neopolitan? New York? Other?) What don't you like about your dough results thus far?

R

Had a few guys over to watch the Pac-12 championship football game.

Started with my go-to recipe for wings as an appetizer. Couldn't be easier..... Set the pellet grill for 375°F, while it was heating up, I dusted some wings with MC The Gospel (has become my favorite all purpose rub.) When the grill was ready, put the wings on for 30 minutes. Flipped 'em, then another 10 minutes and done. Nice and crispy, great flavor, and served with chipotle ranch (diced chipotle in adobo mixed with Ranch dressing and a Tbsp of the adobo sauce.)

View attachment 83022
What is MC The Gospel? I tried googling, but no luck. Suggestions for where to buy?

Suggestions for doing these on a gas grill?

What is MC The Gospel? I tried googling, but no luck. Suggestions for where to buy?

Lowe's sells a few Meat Church rubs, though I'm not sure if they carry this one. I have bought their 'Holy Cow' rub at Lowe's.

Edward, @JimK has it right.....MC is Meat Church. A great line-up of rubs. The Gospel is a great all-purpose rub, and I have been enjoying Honey Hog and Honey Hog Hot on my pork ribs lately.
I'm sure you can find numerous posts with a search on "wings", but here's one I did a while ago.....I didn't describe temps too well, but might give you an idea..... Wings on My Gasser

R

Last edited:
Eric, I found a used Koda 16 for a screaming deal after hawking CL for three years! :) I've used other Ooni ovens that are pellet fired, and I found them too finicky for me, so wanted gas. Extra room in the 16 is really nice, too, as I can go up to a 14-15" pizza if I want/need to.

What's your current dough formula and process? What style of pizza are you trying to make (Neopolitan? New York? Other?) What don't you like about your dough results thus far?

R
I have been making a modified version of Neopolitan pizza, meaning I prefer to add a couple of toppings such as meat & veggies. I also know that going further to use sauce at room temp as well as draining the fresh mozzarella.

I have been using a 10–12-hour poolish recipe, followed by more flour & water, all ready within a 24-hour period. Caputo blue bag, 275G dough balls & 62% hydration. The biggest problem I have is the elasticity of the dough. The dough does not want to stretch easily. Here is a pie with Coppa & pepperoncini, you can see the wetness on top & IHO the pie should be a tad bigger.

Attachments

• IMG_5601.jpg
    IMG_5601.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 8
I have been making a modified version of Neopolitan pizza, meaning I prefer to add a couple of toppings such as meat & veggies. I also know that going further to use sauce at room temp as well as draining the fresh mozzarella.

I have been using a 10–12-hour poolish recipe, followed by more flour & water, all ready within a 24-hour period. Caputo blue bag, 275G dough balls & 62% hydration. The biggest problem I have is the elasticity of the dough. The dough does not want to stretch easily. Here is a pie with Coppa & pepperoncini, you can see the wetness on top & IHO the pie should be a tad bigger.
Yeah, I call my pizza "Neapolitan-ish", as it doesn't meet the standards that supposedly make up the style (though I've also heard that many places in Naples don't either, so I guess it's evolving.) Anyway, that's neither here nor there...... There could be a variety of reasons for a lack of elasticity in your dough, the most common tends to be a lack of gluten development. It's been some time since I used a poolish, so I don't recall the details of the process, but, if you haven't already, I would recommend doing some research at pizzamaking.com (where people are as crazy about pizza as we are about BBQ here), and possibly even posting up the details of your process and challenges, you will very surely get some good help.

I can't quite tell how big the pizza is in your picture, but it does seem that you could get a larger skin out of it. My dough balls are 280g, and I typically get about 11-12". Oh, and as far as toppings go, you've already figured out that you should put what you want to eat on your pizza, not what some "style" dictates what is proper! I mean, the AVPN folks aren't eating it, you are! 🤣

If you prefer fresh mozzarella, like I do, I have a tip for you as far as reducing the "cheese water" (my term.) I tear my cheese into roughly marble sized pieces. These are all placed on a doubled sheet of paper towel, and covered with another double sheet of paper towel. I do this at least an hour before building pizzas, and since I've started, no cheese water! This was a tip I picked up at pizzamaking.com.

Last, but certainly not least, your pizza looks really good!! Prosciutto and pepperocinis??

R

I have pizza oven envy.
How do you like your Omni Rich?
I’m pondering a nice pizza oven but the wifey is shooting me down.
I kinda like that G. Dome unit with the stand or a built in (to an area that doesn’t yet exist :().
I figure if I keep pounding out the loafs and pies I can win her over.
Btw what kind of oven setup are you using to pump out all that product?

I have pizza oven envy.
How do you like your Omni Rich?
I’m pondering a nice pizza oven but the wifey is shooting me down.
I've only had the Koda since September, but I am loving it. I've gone through a progression of baking stone in my oven to Kettle Pizza to GMG oven in my pellet grill.....all were capable setups for making good pizza, but none of them allowed me to make the kind of pizza I wanted to make....something more akin to Neaolitan. The Koda delivers the bottom and top heat required for this type of pizza, though it's not without one big drawback. The L-shaped burner means that the back left corner gets REALLY hot, and the front right corner is quite a bit cooler. You can work around this by getting good at adjusting the burner, turning pies frequently, etc., but I made one change to my oven that was a game changer..... I acquired a 6" lazy Susan bearing, and dropped a 16" stone on it. Now, I can turn the whole stone for even heating, without needing to risk turning a pizza that hasn't quite setup yet (yes, I've torn a few!) Anyway, long way to say, yes, I really to like my oven, even before I added the rotating stone. With the rotating stone, it's perfect for me!

Now, if I had some bucks to drop, the one I'd be looking at would be the EMOZIONE from Pizza Party.....but I don't so I try not to look! :)
Btw what kind of oven setup are you using to pump out all that product?
All of my bread gets baked in my DCS double wall ovens. I use a single stone in each oven, and can bake two loaves per stone at a time. I have room to do two stones in each oven, but I have yet to nail a heating and steaming process that works flawlessly. Got a special order of demi loaves done today for a local realtor's holiday gift baskets....love the sesame bread!

1701732293839.jpeg

Back