Wings on the Vortex, again! This time with sides and dessert!

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
After some discussion on this forum about the high price of wings, I mentioned that I had picked some up from Costco for a very good price. They come with about ten wings (NO TIPS) all separated and ready to go to a bag, and several bags in the larger container. They are in the frozen food section.

At any rate, my wife Marilyn, thawed them, punctured the skin with a sharp fork and brined them for about an hour and a half. She patted them dry, light coat of EVOO, then sprinkled with Weber's "Kick'n Chicken".

I filled the original (medium) Vortex full of mixed new and used Kingsford Original briquettes after centering it on the charcoal grate of my Performer. I used the gas ignition, with every thing in it's place (letting the Vortex) act like a chimney, for exactly three minutes. Then turned off the gas and let it set with lid off for a total of fifteen minutes. It was ready to go! I put the food grate on, and put one chunk of apple wood on the food grate right over the Vortex. After five minutes, I removed the lid, and thoroughly cleaned the grate and using an oil soaked paper towel with tongs thoroughly oiled and cleaned the food grate. This, hopefully, will insure that no one ingests any wire scraps from the cleaning brush, and will insure that the chicken parts don't stick to the grate. I consider this important (don't want my beautifully crisp skin sticking to the grate and tearing off when the chicken is removed, nor do I want any steel brush scraps in my belly).

I put the chicken on the food grate, like so:

After thirty minutes they were ready to come off and there is NO reason to flip them as they cook perfectly on both sides at once:

As you can see above, the sauce is Home Made Apricot Preserves, Honey, and Chipotle in Adobo. Notice the small saucepan, just made for the grill (bought that at Menard's and is it practical on the grill (right size and has a fireproof handle, etc).

I, deliberately, did NOT sauce on the grill. I have found that the crisp skin stays crisp if i sauce off the grill and just let the heat of the chicken parts "set" the sauce. It works beautifully!

This wings were the best yet. My Sou Chef (SWMBO) also liked the fact the they were ready to go right out of the bag. Costco does it AGAIN!
The skin was crackling crisp, the meat was juicy and the sauce not only tasted wonderful but it also showcased the wings. Good stuff, that!

Naturally, excellent wings demand excellent sides. Marilyn made Jalopeno/Cheddar corn bread in a cast iron skillet (what else?:rolleyes:) and it was so good. The recipe came from:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1623157552/tvwb-20?tag=TVWB-20

We also had dessert courtesy of Marilyn, Apple Roses:

https://www.puffpastry.com/recipe/a...AoCDQEmYKKFklgLQfuz7miDw7LE5e-OaikRoCRMTw_wcB

ENJOY!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Nice work you two, wings look excellent and those two sides are amazing. Better watch out Robert, Barbs to the point now she is doing some L&S Q. Which means I don't get to do much except watch football and nurse a couple of cool ones, it could happen to you as well...Snerk.:rolleyes:

R & M.
Wings & sides look superb.
(I also cook wings with the vortex the same way as you. No flipping & sauce afterwards, or have a dipping bowl of sauce).

TonyK;
"Great minds travel in like circles" (old Philosopher quote)...

Many BBQ tools sound good but turn out to be "not so much". The Vortex is ALL that it purports to be and then some. I have no financial interest in the item but I sure am a fan! And-d-d-d, I like my Home made one for the Jumbo Joe, too!;)

Keep on smokin',

I agree, that vortex is a game-changer. So much so, I had one made for my JJ, which also fits my SJ.

The wings and sides look amazing Robert. Looks like we have another great cooking team in the making. It is definitely more fun to cook with your spouse. Keep those team efforts coming.

It has been a week or so since this cook and I got the hankering for some more wings. My wife, Marilyn, pulled some whole wings out of the freezer, thawed them, brined them (after puncturing the skin). These were finished in 25 minutes. This time I sauced with Wolfe's home made Orange Marmalade Sriracha Sauce after the wings were removed from the grill.

Another HOME RUN! LOVE that Vortex!

In fact, I sent one (each) to my oldest son, and daughter and son-in-law as an advance Christmas present. After all, we are going to be shaking hands with old man winter before long and I wanted them to have some grill time with the Vortex before the weather hits!

Keep on smokin',

Last edited:
.............In fact, I sent one (each) to my oldest son, and daughter and son-in-law as an advance Christmas present.........
Keep on smokin',
You sent them one wing each for Christmas? You cheapskate!
Oops, I see you meant you sent them a Vortex each. ;)

TonyK;
Thanks, my man! I needed that!:cool::cool::cool:

The Vortexes are supposed to be delivered today. I hope that they get a chance to use them, shortly! I'm a BELIEVER!

Keep on smokin',

Dale, you can send me one! If you are feeling generous!
Just kidding but, I did some pork steaks the other night and thought.."Wouldn't this be a great time for a Vortex?"
Then again tonight with a pair of BSCB, same thought!
Both turned out very nicely but, something new might be fun!

robert,

I usually cook wings indirect. Sometimes I'll sauce and crisp them for a minute over the charcoal. I bought a vortex, 3 cooks later and I can't discern a difference in my wings. What advantages are you seeing?

thanks,

Last edited:
Jeff;
When i first set up my Vortex (medium size on my Performer), I tracked the temps using my Maverick remote thermometer. I got 437 degrees grate temp where the wings cook. That's about 100 degrees hotter than normal indirect temps. Further, I had to flip the chicken to get them cooked evenly. No flipping necessary with the Vortex.

Finally, I did not have crisp skin when doing indirect. Crisp skin when the Vortex is used, is the norm.

Cooking is faster with the Vortex due to higher temps and I consider that a plus, too.

Keep on smokin'

Back