Will a WSM benefit me?

Also, on the size issue...
My One Touch Kettle, Touch N Go SS Performer, and WSM are all 22.5".
Makes for singular purchases on some accessories..... such as the 22.5" Cajun Bandit Rotisserie and SS Ring.
You will have to think about if you will use those on the WSM. I like the size of the 18 and there are many used ones at great prices. I would think it would be difficult to maintain 375 on the WSM and that is what I aim for using the rotisserie. What would the other accessories be used for unless you where going to replace your kettle? Find a good deal on a used one and try it. Can always resell them.

I would think it would be difficult to maintain 375 on the WSM and that is what I aim for using the rotisserie. What would the other accessories be used for unless you where going to replace your kettle? Find a good deal on a used one and try it. Can always resell them.
The 22 in Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Ring can be flipped upside down from the way it is used from the kettle to fit directly on the bottom section or the middle section on the WSM 22 (they also have an 18 in ring that fits both the 18 in kettle and 18 in WSM). The pizza kettle also works on the bottom section of the WSM 22.

I look at it like having a second car, at times it is very handy and other times it just something to look at.
No there are times when I am doing a long slow cook but need to make another dish hot and fast. So I can can use two cookers just like a second car. Plus you can pick up a WSM like a 18 for very good prices so you are not out a lot of money for something you don't use everyday. I got my latest 18 a month ago for around 150.

You will have to think about if you will use those on the WSM. I like the size of the 18 and there are many used ones at great prices. I would think it would be difficult to maintain 375 on the WSM and that is what I aim for using the rotisserie. What would the other accessories be used for unless you where going to replace your kettle? Find a good deal on a used one and try it. Can always resell them.
As you gain experience with your WSM, you will realize what its true capabilities are.
Some of us started using smaller (18") vertical water smokers before there was such a thing as a WSM...

A kettle is a great grill and a meh smoker.

A WSM is a great smoker and a meh grill.

If you really want to stick with just one unit, you can improve your kettle's smoking performance and capacity with a smoke stacker kit. But the WSM will always be a better smoker. Especially on long cooks. You ever done an overnight cook with your kettle?

Few people really need the extra capacity of the 22 WSM unless catering a wedding. An 18 can do four pork butts or two briskets. And even more if you rig up a third grate. How often would you need more than that (and which couldn't be accomodated in a pinch by using your kettle as a back up)?

So imo the reasons to get the 22 over the 18 are:

1. Ribs. If you want to cook full slabs of ribs laid out flat, get the 22. Full slabs on the 18 require some kind of work around -- rolling, rib rack, cutting in half, hanging. I like to hang ribs, so my 18 works great. My typical rib cook is six half racks hanging. I can fit more than that. And I can hang full slabs in the 18 (although the bottom end does get kinda close to the fire). If you hang ribs in the 22, you can probably fit 97 full slabs -- or more!

2. Grilling. Because of the 22 inch form factor, the WSM 22 is better than the 18 when used as a grill.

If you don't care about 1 and 2, get the 18.
Jim,
I have found that number 1 (cooking ribs) has become the main item I use my kettle with the Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System for. I have only cut a rack of ribs once since I got it, and that was for smoke day where I wanted to go WSM only. I have found I can do most other smokes in the WSM 14, but that ribs are amazing across that 22 in grate.

Last edited:
I have found I can do most other smokes in the WSM 14, but that ribs are amazing across that 22 in grate.

MR -- totally agree. A full St. Louis slab is what -- 18" long by 5-6" wide? So an 18 inch circle isn't the ideal dimension. If you want to lay them out flat, a 22/24/26 inch circle is going to be better. Or a horizontal barrel unit with a rectangular shaped grate -- Traeger, Smokefire, stick burner, etc.

If using a smaller vertical barrel smoker, hanging imo is the way to go. Although hanging is easiest if you dispense with the wrapping.

I use the 22" kettles and the 18.5" WSM.

As far as smoking goes, the WSM does an excellent job for long cooks.

For shorter cooks, i.e. ribs, whole chickens, etc I don't even take the cover off of the WSM.
I use the 22" kettle with a SnS and get excellent results.
I've learned how to dial in the temps on the SnS on two of my kettles, so that's never an issue.

For long cooks, the 18.5" WSM wins, hands down. It's also easier to maintain temps, if you're not used to doing so with a kettle.

For shorter cooks, i.e. ribs, whole chickens, etc I don't even take the cover off of the WSM.
I use the 22" kettle with a SnS and get excellent results.

But a 22 kettle with an SnS can only hold 2 slabs laid out flat. Since the SnS eats up a chunk of the 22 grate surface area.

22 WSM does six slabs laid out flat -- two grates are fully use-able.

For me the WSM has a much better airflow.
So my experience is that big chunks of meat e.g. a brisket is more even cooked.
I use the Slow‘N‘Sear a lot but to be honest more the sear part of the name. For low and slow it‘s OK for one slab of rib, small pork butt or a meatloaf (e.g. BaconBomb).

I own a 18“ and the 22“ WSM and when it comes to even cooking, incredible smoke ring or just a lot of meat the 22“ is my best friend.
I love it. It’s a fire and forget bullet and you can count on it easily for 10-12 hours without adjusting.
And as already mentioned it looks super cool in the backyard :)

Jan

Last edited:
My WSM 18" "Classic" that I bought new in the year 2008 mostly collects spider webs since I bought my Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) last year. Why?; the WSM takes a bit more physical effort for this 78 year old BBQer than my WPD.

Last edited:
I've got exactly this setup in my back yard (22" Performer, 22" WSM). When it comes to "what can my WSM cook that my kettle can't", the answer is really the amount of food. You can't get a brisket and two butts on the kettle at the same time, but you can easily with the WSM. In addition to the amount of food, there's just convenience stuff. The WSM doesn't potentially choke out mid-cook. You don't get ashes blowing around right below the meat. It's fully indirect, you don't get the hot spots like when the lit part of the snake goes right under the meat. And there are nice-to-haves like easier airflow control with four vents instead of two, a port for your temperature probes, and you can add fuel without taking the meat off the fire.

If you're already cooking everything you want, stick with the kettle. If you maybe want to start doing bigger cooks, or you are just annoyed by something with the kettle cooks, consider a WSM.

Please don’t think I am trolling.
I’m not.

I use a 22” Weber Kettle Performer for most of my cooks and smokes.
I used to use the snake method before I got my slow n sear and drip pan.
This seems to work just fine.
The coals last a long time and the temps are very easy to control.

The WSM looks really cool and all that but what can it do that my kettle can’t do?
I mean they look nice and all but I don’t want to be a collector of stuff.

I am not worried about the price but I would rather not have something taking up space if I don’t need to.
Am I missing something like a hidden benefit ?

Thanks.
Andy.
Andy, I have used a 22" kettle since 1978. It took me a year or two to really discover what it could do. I have had the 18" WSM since early 2017. I agree with many of the comments already made on this forum. That said, I am a "fit for purpose" guy. While the kettle is a master on the grilling side, I have learned, that for me, I get better long & slow results with the WSM as it appears to be more stable with maintaining target temps. Since all of our children are on their own, I grill/smoke mostly for the two of us and a neighbor or two. My only regret about the WSM was that I should have opted for the 22" big boy. If I am smoking a larger full brisket, at times I have to place a large ball of rolled up foil or large chunk of wood and then drape the brisket over the ball or chunk thus elevating the center of the brisket giving me a little more real estate on the grate to work with. Also, as mentioned previously by others, if I am hanging a rack of ribs or two, I frequently have to cut each rack in half to raise the bottom edge up from the coals so they will not burn. Regardless of the direction you take, you can still produce some dang good meats.

I already owned a performer and was finding myself doing more and more pork butts and briskets with my SNS attachments, so I starting looking for a used 22 or 18 WSM, and kinda wanted a 18 for fuel savings... a good deal on a 22WSM came up and I got it. Hidden benefit has been my 22" CB rotisserie works on both.

I have no regrets on owning both. The extra real estate taken up on my patio is well worth it everytime I use it.

When I got my 22 WSM the plan was to give my kettle to my auntie and get the riser from spitfire and I was able to use all my accessories. They still work including my Gabby's grill attachment and the SNS works great got that from the late Phil in Florence's hack. So no more kettle for me and one less grill taking up space and still use all my goodies-lol

Scott
P.S that space got reused I got a 14.5 WSM today :sneaky:

Back