Wife's out of town, Part Deux...

C Lewis

Closed Account
So still bachin' it, and had the hankering for some smashburgers tonight. I couldn't find any 80/20 at the local market, and when I asked, the butcher replied "I don't have any 80/20, but I'm putting out some 93 soon." Umm, no.

A few other stores later, I found some 80/20, and took it home. I had already thawed out some St. Louis ribs, and was planning on them for tomorrow, but after a few beers I decided that I could take on the world, so preparing two meals at once wouldn't be a problem. :)
I put the ribs on the Smokefire at 200F, and let them go. Figured on about a 5 hr cook. I pulled out the Blackstone later and got the ground ready and got the buns toasted up and the onions caramelized. I make my smashburgers at 3oz, because we like to make double burgers. I keep them relatively simple, just onions, ketchup, mustard, and a little mayo. Oh, and cheese of course. Came out great. My daughter was home from one of her many jobs and had one. I didn't realize that she hadn't had them before, with being away at school. They were a big hit with her, and we're probably going to have them at her college graduation party next week since they're so quick to make.

20210618_170705.jpg

Pretty impressed with the little 28" Blackstone so far. Only a half a dozen or so cooks in, but working great. I was planning on getting the large one, but with smashburger and quesadillas being main things that I would use it for, I didn't want to have the larger unit taking up so much patio space.

Meanwhile, the Smokefire chugs along, running it at 200F for about 2.5hrs, using Sam's Club Smokehouse pellets. I've found that with the Smokeboost setting being time-based and not temperature-based, it seems to be calibrated for the smaller Weber pellets. I have found that I get better results on Smokeboost when running Weber pellets, and when using the larger "normal-sized" pellets, just running it at 200F. When using Smokeboost on the larger pellets, the temp tends to run lower, and depending on the ambient temperature, can result in a safety shutdown. Cranked them up to 275F somewhere along the line, I checked the ribs periodically, and when about 3 hrs or so in, wrapped. Once that was done, I basted with a sauce that my daughter brought home from Safeway, Signature Select Sweet and Tangy Bourbon, and put back on for a short time to set. The sauce was outstanding. I usually make my own but this was really very good.

20210618_185830[1].jpg

Ribs came out fantastic, just right.

20210618_182015[1].jpg

20210618_182220[1].jpg

Also had a giant chocolate chip cookie afterwards, but no pic, I ate it too fast. Ok, feeling sleepy now. Signing off...

Choices choices choices……how do you decide between an amazing looking burger and those delicious ribs…
Why not both ?!?!?!?

Thanks to all for looking and for the nice comments. The burger was very good, and I think that I have the Blackstone dialed in now. Seems that the left side is just slightly cooler, using my infrared thermometer, but not by a huge deal. Both sides got over 500F, using a small 1lb cylinder that was almost empty. I have the 20lb hookup too, just not set it up yet. I should say that the wind is always blowing here, from left to right, so the breeze may be pushing the flame over slightly. I'm going to make a wind guard to block the gap on the side, and see how that affects it, though it's not really a big deal. I love the convenience of being able to cook the onions and toast the buns all in one area, and go right to making the burgers.

I ate some of the ribs too, they came out great. All of the pellet grills/cookers that I have had have been rib-cooking machines. I only usually do one rack for myself, as my wife doesn't eat them, but when having company over, the Smokefire can do a lot of full racks at one time, without needing to cram things in. I would normally do one rack on the Performer, but I've been using the EX6 a lot, trying to find something wrong with it, but it keeps working right along like a champ, no problems at all.

Charlie

I gotta admit that the pellet smokers seem to create a stronger smoke ring, and I'm sure the day to day results are a lot more consistent. Someday I might convert to pellets but for now I'll keep rolling with the WSM. Smashburger looks awesome there too.

Those both look awesome; surprised your wife would ever leave the house with cooks like this and your others ;)

I gotta admit that the pellet smokers seem to create a stronger smoke ring, and I'm sure the day to day results are a lot more consistent. Someday I might convert to pellets but for now I'll keep rolling with the WSM. Smashburger looks awesome there too.
John, the pellet cookers are convenient for sure, they set up easy, and hold the temps automatically. Honestly though, the smoke flavor on them is a little more mild than what I can get on the WSMs, and I don't like a particular strong smoke. Still experimenting with different pellets though. The easy and quick set up, along with the size and shape and ability to cooks lots of dishes at once wins out in favor of the pellet grill most of the time, at least when I have other things going on. Still prefer my WSMs though, and will use them when time allows, either with my ATCs, or "naked".

Charlie

Back