Wife and kids got me some new grilling gears

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
So on Monday my wife and youngest daughter said they were going out, that they were going stir crazy. When the came back they said we got you some stuff to make your grilling photos look better. My wife said you just have to promise to stop using those 15 year old cookie sheets in your photos, so here is my new BBQ prep and serving tray.20200608_175726.jpg
And here is another shot with the chicken cooked. 20200608_182257.jpg
They also got me a new kick butt wood spoon20200608_180106.jpg
When they gave me these two pieces my wife said and we know what we want you to cook, we want Mexican rice bowls. Chicken with oil, salt, pepper, garlic and fajita seasoning then on the kettle. Mexican rice, chicken, salsa, and homemade white cheese sauce made, a great dinner.
Then today I was getting prepped to cook dinner and my wife and kids said we want to give you your father's day gift early and they brought out this awesome prep/grill/ smoker side table. 20200611_170408_HDR.jpg
They said they did not want to wait because they knew I would be doing a bunch of cooks on the Webers before father's day and they could not stand waiting. It folds up and fits perfectly in my little shed.
So my family truly enjoys the food I cook, but sometimes they makes fun of me for taking photos as I cook, and laughs at me for amount of time I am spending prepping or clean up. So it was really cool to see them support my hobby with these cool pieces that add to my BBQ experience.

You've got a great crew there, for sure. That spoon is gorgeous - I think I'd be afraid to use it. And I hope you washed the tray between pic 1 and pic 2. ;)

You've got a great crew there, for sure. That spoon is gorgeous - I think I'd be afraid to use it. And I hope you washed the tray between pic 1 and pic 2. ;)
I actually wrote, here it is after a washing and the chicken being cooked, but then deleted that, I guess I should have left it.😁 The spoon is really crazy specially, I have a memorial tattoo for my brother and the centerpiece of the tattoo is a rifle that the stock is almost the identical wood coloring as that spoon. I am not a gun guy, so my wife said when she saw the spoon she thought it was like what my weapon of choice to represents Jon's gun.

It's nice when your family recognizes and appreciates your efforts to make a nice meal. I find it one of the most satisfying things I can do. Is similar to beer brewing when you serve someone a beer you made and their face lights up after the first sip and they say "you made this?" It's the best feeling. I need to take more pics that's something I never do and wish I did. You have a record of everything you did. Cool spoon, tray, and really nice pics!!!

Great looking gear!

Have you made your own tortilla bowls to serve your Mexican rice bowls in? Super simple to do and takes the meal to another level. You can see my tutorial in this thread:

Great looking gear!

Have you made your own tortilla bowls to serve your Mexican rice bowls in? Super simple to do and takes the meal to another level. You can see my tutorial in this thread:

Just checked that post out on how to make homemade tortilla bowls, I have not done that yet, but with the amount of grilled/smoked Mexican inspired dishes my family like me to make I will be doing this soon.

It's nice when your family recognizes and appreciates your efforts to make a nice meal. I find it one of the most satisfying things I can do. Is similar to beer brewing when you serve someone a beer you made and their face lights up after the first sip and they say "you made this?" It's the best feeling. I need to take more pics that's something I never do and wish I did. You have a record of everything you did. Cool spoon, tray, and really nice pics!!!
Jim I completely agree, it truly is one of the greatest joys in the world.

Great new toys! Good family!
I getgrill tools from time to time. My favorite one was the year I got a set of Dave Santana’s 304 SS charcoal baskets for my birthday. They’ve been in use for two solid years!
I like your rice pot too, where did you find that?

Great new toys! Good family!
I getgrill tools from time to time. My favorite one was the year I got a set of Dave Santana’s 304 SS charcoal baskets for my birthday. They’ve been in use for two solid years!
I like your rice pot too, where did you find that?
I love my standard charcoal baskets, but I know the quantity will lead me to have to update at some point, I looked up the ones you have and the are pretty sweet. I do low and slow on the WSM, would you recommend your baskets over the slow and sear when it's time to replace?
As for my pot, man I love it too. They are Palms Restaurant Cookware, and crazy enough I have been slowly getting them at TJ Maxx. So we moved into our new house about 6 months ago and I told my wife I am buying myself a set of pots and pans for myself, for the first time in my life. My MIL and my mother had bought my two sets as an adult. I wanted to find something that was high quality, that I could afford, and also look masculine. Looked a a bunch of different things then one day in TJ Maxx with the family I come across a few individual pieces of this cookware and loved it. I keep thinking about it so I went back and started buying one piece each pay check and got the four pieces the had. Then I went back later and the had another size pot so I picked it up. Then right before Covid they got a smaller pan in, but I did not get that yet so when they reopen I will going to try to pick that piece up. I have not been able to find the stuff anywhere else. Six months in they still look brand new and I love cooking in them!

I’ve never used a slow and sear so I can’t say anything about them, I have a couple of buddies that have them and they like them quite well. The baskets are what I grew up with and what I know and the nice ones are worth it.

Back