Why is it?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Almost without fail, every piece of “barbecue equipment” seems to be anything but, they have incorporated a bottle opener somewhere?
Seems like spatulas are the biggest marketplace of the opener but, it just seems like anything has to have an opener! Why not put a double sided Jigger on the fork? Come on, lots of us drink cocktails as much as beer, just seems ”patronizing”.
I guess I’m old!

Almost without fail, every piece of “barbecue equipment” seems to be anything but, they have incorporated a bottle opener somewhere?
Seems like spatulas are the biggest marketplace of the opener but, it just seems like anything has to have an opener! Why not put a double sided Jigger on the fork? Come on, lots of us drink cocktails as much as beer, just seems ”patronizing”.
I guess I’m old!
It may have something to do with how many home brewers and beer enthusiasts also do a lot of outdoor cooking, and how much easier it is to include a bottle open than a shaker or jigger. The good news is that bottled beer is quickly going out of style, in favor of cans, so this practice may be on its way out.
I'm both a beer and whiskey enthusiast, as well as a homebrewer. I also own several grilling accessories that have integrated bottle openers, and agree with you. All of my beers go into kegs and most of the beer that I buy comes in cans, so I almost never use a bottle opener.

[ ]

When I do use one, it's the one in the above pic.

I use the one on my windscreen2BEEFBAC-7FB9-4D34-8EE5-949919C8AF6D.jpeg
but, then again, I will go get ”real bottles” when I have that out for an overnight smoke.
The jigger on the fork was NOT a suggestion, recommendation, or other wise attempt to further confuse the general public, I promise!

No dedicated opener on my bbq tools either, but despite that, they are still used to open beer bottles
Or we use a lighter,
Another beer bottle
A spoon

And bottles are still very much in vogue here. Returnables

I used to have a set of Reef flip flops that had a bottle opener in the bottom. I did not buy it because of that, would have preferred it without it, but may have used it once before they gave out.
RF002026BGM_O.PNG

I was a high volume bartneder many years ago so this is what I always use. Sometimes we get fancy and use a long string to tie it to the cooler handle.

Bottle Opener.jpeg

Lowe's used to sell a Kobalt branded bottle opener, made out of a 3/8" ratchet casting. Instead of machining out the head for the ratchet mechanism, it was machined out with a hook for a crown cap. Best bottle opener I've ever used, but also weighs several times as much as the professional bartender opener listed above (I've also got a couple of those.) Unfortunately, IIRC, the Kobalt opener isn't available anymore.

On 97 to 2001 jeep wranglers, the stock factory rear bumper has a rectangular cut out that works perfectly to open a bottle of beer. A lift and large tires makes it easier to reach.

Lowe's used to sell a Kobalt branded bottle opener, made out of a 3/8" ratchet casting. Instead of machining out the head for the ratchet mechanism, it was machined out with a hook for a crown cap. Best bottle opener I've ever used, but also weighs several times as much as the professional bartender opener listed above (I've also got a couple of those.) Unfortunately, IIRC, the Kobalt opener isn't available anymore.

I had almost forgotten that I had one of those. But it was right where I last left it...

1634251637664.jpeg

1634251653445.jpeg

Last edited:
On 97 to 2001 jeep wranglers, the stock factory rear bumper has a rectangular cut out that works perfectly to open a bottle of beer. A lift and large tires makes it easier to reach.

I had a '98 that I bought new and owned for almost 14 years. I never knew that! 🤯

The seatbelt buckle in most cars also works.
As does the little thingy inside the car door frame that the door locks onto ;)

Back