Why can't we just call it all barbecue?

While we are on the subject (lol), when I sort my recipes, say Beef, I first sort by cut, then by how they are cooked. Deep-fry, Grill, Oven and Stove-top. If a recipe is called Grilled....., I know where to file it, but if the word barbecue or barbecued is in the title, I have to read further because sometimes they are NOT grilled. So I can see having 2 different categories.

While we are on the subject (lol), when I sort my recipes, say Beef, I first sort by cut, then by how they are cooked. Deep-fry, Grill, Oven and Stove-top. If a recipe is called Grilled....., I know where to file it, but if the word barbecue or barbecued is in the title, I have to read further because sometimes they are NOT grilled. So I can see having 2 different categories.

For example, I just found this in one of my cooking mag. "Gourmet Barbecue Beef Sandwiches" and it is cooked in a slow cooker. I won't be saving it tho. It calls for 1 cup of barbecue sauce, no recipe. Guess they want you to use store bought. And I guess they call it "Gourmet" because it is served on a croissant. It is also served with provolone cheese. DH says it can't be all bad. lol

Last edited:
tomarnold.jpg

When I first started my bbq journey, I was obsessed. Buying grills & smokers (one time I had 14), taking part in threads debating barbecue vs grilling, etc. That was a long time ago. Now when I have guests over, I just tell them what we're having: brisket, pulled pork, chicken, NY Strips, etc. Doesn't really matter what you call the cooking process, it tastes the same.

I hate it that I might have derailed a fun thread. Bob, I'm embarrassed and hope you'll accept my apology.

Right now I'm Sous V Queing. Been at it for 25 hours. Brisket will be ready tomorrow at 5.

Last edited:
Bob, if you want to edit your quote of my brain fart to keep this going have at it.
No worries Lew, I deleted my reply.
My brain farts much more often the older I get, I think, can't remember for sure. :)
Bet the brisket will be great, and it's nice when you can plan it's doneness to be right on time.

For Barb and myself we do so many things on our grills I don't even try to identify the type of process we use. We make bread on the gasser is that now grilled bread instead of baked bread? I smoke bacon on the mini or WSM as Bob stated is that BBQ bacon? We make pies on the E320 now I have grilled pie?. I smoke a turkey on the performer high heat what would that be?
Call it what you want, when we invite someone over for a little summer outside cooking I just say we will be cooking up some xyz with some abc and let it go at that. To us the process it's called isn't important, the end result is what counts.
I would bet if you asked 90% of the people that cook outside on whatever they have couldn't tell you the difference between grilling and barbeque.

I would bet if you asked 90% of the people that cook outside on whatever they have couldn't tell you the difference between grilling and barbeque.

True, especially nowadays with so many options.
Used to be only wood, and then you get into gas, electric and the pellet smoker/grillers.
As long as they don't call a George Foreman grill a BBQ, I'm good.:p

Tim

Back