Who's Smokin' this weekend?

Originally posted by Scott in CT:
Jim,
That turkey looks beautiful!
I won't be able to smoke until next weekend.
I'm picking up the Christmas tree tomorrow and that kind of stuff.

Thanks! It was good, but not as good as the JD/Maple syrup turkey I did for T-giving. Good luck w/ the tree hunt. And let us know what you'll be smoking next weekend.

Been doing 3 butts (24 lbs) tonight on the smoker and will do a couple of whole chickens later this weekend smoked on the grill.

Will also be keging 10 gallons of oatmeal stout and tapped a ESB earlier today to go along with my mead. Excuse any typos I may have :), the ESB is VERY good.

my salmon is done and now its on to my chickens and butts...gonna be an all-nighter and the snow is starting to fall!

I plan on putting on some baby backs at 1100 and the temp is going to be around 50 today so it makes it all that much better.

Going on 14 hours. Butt is at 175. I love my WSM!! That thing has been locked in between 230 and 250 since 11:00 last night!!

Guests arrive at 3. Looks like I'm going to get very lucky w/ the timing.

Got the spare ribs on, adding the mojo chicken breasts and smoked sausage later. Love the "flame thrower" for getting the charcoal started.

Ribs should be ready to eat between the end of the SEC Championship (AU fan so "Go Gators") and the Big 12 championship game (wife went to TAMU so we've had a tough football season in our house!)

Pat

I'm doing a butt over a brisket. Trying K.K.'s veggie paste on the brisket.

Went off the deep end with the butt ... decided 'WTH, I'll try brining it'. Started with AB's brine, but it evolved into a teriyaki flavor brine. Water, demerra sugar, honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, pickling salt, cider vinegar.

Have an idea for my rub and a sop. I'm thinking to serve it with sauce, stir fried veggies and rice ... easy suppers for the coming week. Not sure yet. The butt has been in the freezer for a few months in butcher paper and freezer was starting to take a bite out of it so if it's awful not much of a loss.

It snowed like a bugger today .... at least 6", I deferred the cook to tonight, at least it's stopped snowing. I was going to go HH but now it's an overnighter.

Butt in Teriyaki Brine:

2008-12-08a001.jpg

Butt out of brine (24 hours):

2008-12-08a002.jpg

Butt Rubbed:

2008-12-08a003.jpg

Brisket with Veggie Paste after 24hours air dry:

2008-12-08a004.jpg

Brisket side:

2008-12-08a005.jpg

Butt rub was about: 1/2C br sugar, 2T gran garlic, 1 1/2T gr ginger, 1/2t cinnamon, 1/4t cayenne, 1/4t gr fennel, 1/4t white pepper

That pork smelled really good coming out of the brine.

Brine was about: 2 gal water, 1 1/2lb pickling salt, 3C soya sauce, 1C honey, 1C demerra sugar, about 4T each of ginger and gran garlic, couple of T's of cider vinegar ... I lost track and was adding and tasting for strength ... I didn't think I'd add so much soy, next time I'd drop the sat to 1lb for the same amount of brine.

The brisket sat on parchment in the fridge ... I decided to let the veggie paste, which I applied liberally, air dry with the rub on.

I left the brisket on the parchment, it's under it on the smoker. I'm going to remove it at some point before foiling.

They are on now, brisket over butt this time ... seemed the lesser of two evils
icon_smile.gif

I never got to my mojo chicken cook until tonight. The weekend got filled up with the need to empty the job jar first. Ended up with beet soup and greens last night. But I did manage to get the chickens into the mojo early this morning. They marinated about 10 hours until going on to the WSM.

I added some Wolfe Citrus rub over EVOO that complimented the mojo marinate quite nicely. If you like lemon/citrus chicken give this a try.

To cold to do anything other than load the WSM and let things run. Basically went bareback. Checked the food temp at 60 minutes then let it run another 30 and they were done. All vents open for the duration, water in the pan.

Had enough chicken, so invited my daughter and SIL over. Plates got cleaned.

I added some dirty cauliflower tempered with cumin and mustard seed, then red onion and garlic, with turmeric, curry, and fresh cilantro thrown in before the steam.

Also some asparagus sauteed in EVOO, shallot, garlic, red salt, Aleppo, and a toss of grated parm.

Nothing left! I love that kind of positive feedback
icon_biggrin.gif

They even tried some of the beet soup from last night
icon_razz.gif

I cooked a 3lb sirlon roast Saturday. Came out out great. cooked at 225° to an internal of 130 pulled and foiled for a half hour. I used lump, yes I am now fully converted, great stuff that lump. Nice smoke ring and very tender.

Originally posted by Shawn W:
It snowed like a bugger today .... at least 6", I deferred the cook to tonight, at least it's stopped snowing.
They are on now,
Good luck with your cook Bud, and keep warm. It's 25º here, I'm sure it's colder up there. Maybe get the flask out tonight.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Good luck with your cook Bud, and keep warm. It's 25º here, I'm sure it's colder up there. Maybe get the flask out tonight.
icon_biggrin.gif
It's 26º here. It's colder there than Canada!!
icon_eek.gif
icon_razz.gif
Supposed to hit 14ºF tonight.

I used the jacket for the first time in a couple years last night. No water, but 2/3 ring of leftovers from last cook, shaken and stirred. Topped up with fresh, about 30 lit to start. I held around 240ºF dome for around 15 hours. I'm pretty sure I have the jacket to thank for a part of that so I'll be using it again. I remebered why I quit using it: pita fiddling with vents and adding water and chips and temping blah blah ... but I'm more hands off now so it's better.

The butt came out great! It's different, but really good. We oinked out on the teriyaki flavor brined butt:

2008-12-08b001.jpg

I was going for an Edo type dish with pork instead of beef or chicken. Edo is my fav food court food ... fair value and tasty food for $5. Edit: it's cooked to order right in front of you on a steel grill

Flavor didn't seem to be carried through and through, or perhaps it was just so much stronger on the outside it was hard to notice .. but the flavor came across nicely. Got some smoke ring too. By the time I pulled the meat it it was nice and soft and moist and I really liked the way the texture blended in with the rice and veggies. Def do this one again ... I'd still cut down the salt somewhat but not as much as I mentioned above maybe reduce by 1/4lb in 2 gallons ... the salt level seemed ok, a bit high.

I had a taste of brisket, it's great, but it's cooling off to be eaten another day. One thing, I think parchment is a winner for this too ... I left it on the first half of the cook because most of the fat cap was gone (fat cap side down. It was great for that and I'll use it for those bald little flats too. I'd try it with a boneless turkey breast ... that sort of thing. The moistness of the brisket was exceptional and I'm thinking in part due to the parchment.

Air dry and rub helped make a bark on the brisket, but parts of it still fell off ... though it was coolered for nearly 5 hours. Anyway, overnight airdry with a good slather of that stuff was fine.

Originally posted by Shawn W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_biggrin.gif
It's 26º here. It's colder there than Canada!!
icon_eek.gif
icon_razz.gif
Supposed to hit 14ºF tonight.

I used the jacket for the first time in a couple years last night. No water, but 2/3 ring of leftovers from last cook, shaken and stirred. Topped up with fresh, about 30 lit to start. I held around 240ºF dome for around 15 hours. I'm pretty sure I have the jacket to thank for a part of that so I'll be using it again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Our low is sup to be only 24º tonight, was 18º when I left for work Monday AM.
Dude! Pic of that plate looks great. I'm sure I could eat all the goodness of the rice without ever eating one grain of it. Yeah I'm a rice hater.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Thanks for making me hungry right at bedtime
icon_frown.gif
, great pics of your cook.
icon_cool.gif

Back