Who's Smokin' this weekend?

After the kiddies got done with last nights sugar high, I put a 9 lb flat on around 22:00. Sitting at 175 right now. Debating foiling vs not foiling.

Sometime around noon I'll throw on some baby backs and do them 3-1-1.

I'm taking the weekend off. Still recovering from the two butts and five chickens I did last weekend.
icon_smile.gif

Stuck at work till 3:00PM. Local grocer has choice boneless chucks on sale this week for $2.49lb. Picked up a 2 pack lastnight. Will put them on after work and high"ish" heat them to get them done before the wee hrs of Sunday morn. Figuring on 250º-275º till 165º internal then foil and crank up the heat to 325º or so till the fall apart stage. Going to save all the drippings for gravy and make hot roast beef sammies.

I'm about 5 hours into my cook of 4, 7ish pound Boston Butts. I'm using my newly arrived smoke wood from Charlie Chuck's...terrible website, but great people!

Kevin

Originally posted by Tony C.:
farm fresh has .98/lb butts and i got two 8 pounders for an overnighter tomorrow
SOB! I didn't see that!

Still hoping to do some wings, tho.

EDIT: Here are my PICTURES

So where are the pics? It's a bit early here on the west coast and I'm just getting my cook going; got my roast on the counter coming to room temp, I've got my pit built and ready to light and my wood picked out, red wine oak cask piece and just cracked a beer, it's going to be a great day!

Shrimp cocktails, smoked salmon spread (home made), green beans w/caramelized onion and toasted almonds, garlic mashed and Ed C.'s bringing the Tiramisu.

Pics coming as the cook gets rolling!

Originally posted by LarryR:
So where are the pics? It's a bit early here on the west coast and I'm just getting my cook going
Early here too!
icon_biggrin.gif
Got home from work at 3:12 and quick blew the ankle deep leaves off the driveway out back where the WSM and grills are set up. Took a half foil pan and added a qt of Organic Beef stock, onion, crushed garlic cloves, celery and their leaves, bay leaf and some cracked pepper corns, that will serve as the water pan on the lower rack, no carrots on hand. Dusted the chucks with Head Country and Susie Q's. Full ring of Hump, with some peach rounds (guy I work with gave me) and one small piece of oak. WSM was at 275º by 3:50 and that's about it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Link to some pics.

I never fail to learn something from most of you guys. I remember from an old thread, Bryan, that you mentioned packing your lump charcoal tightly to control temp fluctuations and burn time better.

Thanks for posting some pictures. These weekend "whatcha cookin?" threads are no fun without them.

Damn, somethings wrong, 6 lb prime rib on 2 hours and I'm already at 113 going to 120/125 and the grate temp has been under 250 the entire time . . . dinner is in 3:15 . . . nice.

Originally posted by LarryR:
Damn, somethings wrong, 6 lb prime rib on 2 hours and I'm already at 113 going to 120/125 and the grate temp has been under 250 the entire time . . . dinner is in 3:15 . . . nice.
Hey Bud, try re-postioning the probe, had to do that with the chucks, seems I went in too far and was not dead center in the one.
I just foled them and added a pic to the album of the chucks before foiling.
icon_smile.gif

Bryan, i don't think i can remember how to get there, and the wind is blowing the wrong direction, so i'll have to go by memory and at my age, that could be a problem. I hope I get there before his nieghbor from across the street does.

Robert, looks awesome!!! Congrats on your OTG, I love mine, I'm sure it's the first of many great meals.

Bryan, maybe you need to drag your butt out here as I'm going to take this thing to 130 then foil. Will probably be way too done for me. 130, what am I thinking.

Ed C. Get your butt over here!!!!

just got my 2 butts injected,rubbed and on the WSM with royal oak lump,3 chunks of cherry and 1 chunk of pecan. will post pics tomorrow. i also made a batch of neely's sweet and spicy slaw from the sides forum, and will be making some ABT's tomorrow. oh, and i just whipped up a modified batch of no. 5 sauce.

Thanks Larry I've only grilled on it twice but both were great cooks. Got it on Ebay for $75.00 brand new. Real nice addition to the three WSM's,Brinkman Grill King and Bar-b-chef smoker. Problem is the garage is full.

I have a aged choice brisket flat (pack date is 9-15) rubbed and ready to go for tomarrow. It stunk a bit at first, but the smell disapated, my first successful wet age!
icon_smile.gif
I did a light mustard slather and made a new rub to use. I'm pretty excited to get cookin...see ya guys on the flip side.

Brandon

Pictures are updated. I was fighting a roast that wanted to be done before we were ready so she was a bit overdone for me, however, still great. Great flavor, very mild smoke, tender just a bit over done for my taste.

Back