Who's Smokin' this weekend?

Couldn't go the weekend reading these posts and not Q'ing something. You guys have me hooked!!

Just picked up a Turkey Breast for tonight!

Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Thanks for posting some pictures. These weekend "whatcha cookin?" threads are no fun without them.
I agree, but don't think I've ever seen any pics posted from you. You hang out here a lot, so must use your WSM. Don't be shy to post some pics of what you cook!
icon_wink.gif

Search, Alan.
icon_smile.gif

A lot of my Q happens during the week. Working in health care kills every other weekend or more.

I'll have shots up of my next prime brisket I'm going to do in the next few days while I'm off.

I must admit I don't have anything on the WSM this weekend, but I do have a butt on the new UDS I just built. All seems to be going as planned, the UDS holds temps like the WSM and you get the smell of the fat hitting the coals as it cooks. It's at 170 deg right now and the UDS is steady at 250 deg.

Originally posted by LarryR:
Pictures are updated. I was fighting a roast that wanted to be done before we were ready so she was a bit overdone for me, however, still great. Great flavor, very mild smoke, tender just a bit over done for my taste.

Larry everything turned out just great. That Prime Rib had tons of flavor and the green beans were to die for. I can't believe we actually left your place as early as we did. I really should have tried the cake, but I knew better. Thanks for the great meal, and once again job well done my friend. looking forward to our next "Q" session.

I got some smoking done. I got my extra vents installed and did a tray of thighs. When the chicken came off I threw on a meatloaf. When the meatloaf comes off if there are enough coals left I'll throw some sausages on.

Used one full chimney of ML lump. Only the top grate in, was holding 425ºF.

Then later I'm throwing on some beef blade. 2 x ~ 8 lb bone in roasts (good sale). I put my ancho rub on them and I'll see how they turn out for pulled beef.

Did my first turkey breast today. A dry run for Thanksgiving, although I didn't quite use the same method I plan to use then. Came out pretty well, but a tad dry. Due to my last minute decision to do smoke today, I didn't have time to brine. Had a good half inch smoke ring though. I let 'er dry in the fridge for a few hours, then a light coat of canola oil, followed by an herb/citrus poultry rub. I basted three times with butter, mixed w/ orange zest and some fresh squeezed OJ. Here's what she looked like after hitting 160 and resting in foil for 30 minutes:

PB020213.jpg

I don't currently have a digital camera so my sad prose will have to suffice..

I basically did a repeat of my first smoke -- spares and chicken breasts. Though this time I tried the 3 2 1 technique for the spares. I was very happy with the results. I used apple wood pellets from BBQers Delight and was impressed with the smoke they provided. I used three 1/3 cup packets altogether, plus a couple of chunks of hickory.

ETA: I used Raichlen's Basic BBQ rub with slight modifications -- cut down the black pepper amount and used turinado sugar instead of brown, and chipotle powder insead of cayenne.

Also for sides I had Mac & cheese and baked taters....
icon_smile.gif

Just found out we'll be entertaining Saturday. I'll be doing a pork butt Friday night. Maybe some ribs Saturday.

Originally posted by JimK:
Just found out we'll be entertaining Saturday./QUOTE]
I hate when that happens.
icon_smile.gif

Took a look in the freezer yesterday. No smoked chuck left. That cannot stand. Will smoke up a chuck Saturday. Now that the leaves are raked I'm good to smoke.

I was told today that I'm the chef this weekend for my sisters b-day, so i'm planning to smoke a couple of chickens and a pork shoulder, plus some salmon as an appetizer...got some big eaters in the family so I gotta make sure I have plenty of food to go around...

Jim,
That turkey looks beautiful!
I won't be able to smoke until next weekend.
I'm picking up the Christmas tree tomorrow and that kind of stuff.

Jim-

If you can make it to the Chicago burbs by about 4pm, I'll have a plate for you!

Bring a warm coat, though...we have about 4-5 inches of snow on the ground (w/ 2-3 more expected on Saturday) and it was 2 degrees when I left for work this morning!

Man I have been buying pork when on sale and I must have 50 lbs in the freezer, and can't find the time for an overnight cook. So on the way home I picked up 2 slabs of spares for tomorrows dinner. Have been craving some smoked meat. The WSM has set idle in the back yard for 2 weeks now. Can't let it go another weekend without the scent of applewood and pork escaping from that top vent. Lokking forward to it.

So, I picked up the butt on my way home from work. Only one left, and it was 9.24 pounds. I plan to put it on around 10:30. Company arrives at 3:00 tomorrow. The last (and first) butts I did were two 7.4-ish pounds and took 16 hours. Hopefully, I can keep the temps up enough to finish in about the same amount of time w/ this one. Fingers crossed...

i got two 8 pound butts on about 7:30. wasn't planning on them but saw them for 1.29/lb and i want to try out the new bottle of JH sugar maple rub i just bought

I'm smoking a 18.5# turkey and doing it Larry Wolfe style to "pull", for the local hot meals program. I'll vac seal and freeze and they can use it as they see fit. I hope to make this a regular thing. 'Tis the season! And such a need!

Back