Who Like's HOG!!! and I've got an assistant :)

John_Goebel

For the Fourth I decided to cook a bone in loin, Ive been promising my neighbors son Shawn he could help on a cook. Smart kid and a big fan of my Q' so today is the day, meet the new assistant pit master...

Seen here watching Aaron Franklin video's
x0PBwlu.jpg

Loin on at about 11 am
IFXDlK5.jpg

My nice shaded cook zone...
1TYnax8.jpg

I worked him pretty hard, had the probe set to beep at 255f and he quickly got the hang of tuning the vents, also watched a video on how KB is made.

About 4pm 150f internal...
CrgoKVP.jpg

Loose foil over pan for 30 minutes then plastic wrapped and into the fridge to chill. Trying something new, going for the leftover effect before slicing and a quick finish on a hot grill.

That's it for now the kid hung in there very well and were gonna' "pig" out tonight.
John Goebel

Excellent loin..nice you have the younger generation getting a jump start on great Q.

Great Stuff John!
Shawn looks a bit hungry, butt then, seeing that loin cookin' away, i'd be hungry too!

off topic: friend that "lived" in Detroit told me "everyone" is moving out of the city, "soon, no one will be there..."
True in your mind??? just curious....

Nice pig John. Your assistant seems like a bright lad. Btw, I'm jealous of your dry and shaded cook zone. Gotta get one of those. ;)

Not to get to far into the "state" of Michigan/Detroit but yes it's really tough here, day's like today make it all a little easier to swallow. Especially when your loin is as moist as ours tuned out:D

Google Flint MI, poverty and see how bad it can really get.

Or try Goebel Brewery, which was my family's business back in the day.

I'm thankful for everything I've got.

Happy Q'ing to you all,
John Goebel

I am also jealous of your shaded cook area. Very nice. Also like your helper. Looks like a good kid. Great cook you guys did. Glad to see you pass the torch.

Great looking pork loin, John. I'm glad to see that your helper is learning that the best hobbies are the edible kind!

nice looking pork loin and very cool your neighbor kid admires your cooking and wants to learn from you!!!

Slice pic's next morning

So as I said I decided I would let these sit in the fridge overnight, will slap some sauce and rub on em' and grill for lunch today.

SODWjVy.jpg

ZC6AGwq.jpg

And to keep those who wish to pilfer our treasure I got a bodyguard, his name is Nate.

ThAH85J.jpg

I'll put up some pic's before we chow, hoping for a nice bit of char and a good sticky sauce.

John Goebel

Back