Who Has Gas Assist But Chooses to Use Another Method to Light Coal (and why)?

John_NJ

TVWBB Wizard
I have seen it mentioned from time to time, and am curious- for anyone with a Weber charcoal grill that has factory installed propane “gas assist” and chooses not to use it - why?

Not me—my SSP has has gas assist and that’s what I use to start the charcoal. Before I had the tank re-certified, I used a paper towel sprayed with cooking spray to ignite coals in the chimney starter.

i don't want to buy, store, own or replace bottles when i have a solution that costs me net zero. call me lazy or efficient. i see zero need to spend money on fuel to light coals when we already produce byproducts that can be used to light charcoal.

beef tallow trimmings, chicken fat trimmings, bacon grease, residual fry oil; all these are free with what i already do/have/use and they're cheap to keep on hand (in the fridge for when needed).

just place some of the fat in a used napkin or used paper towel, place under the chimney, light the napkin and then place chimney atop the fire. in 10 mins i have hot coals which i pour over into CBs or the grill itself.

I place a Chimney on the fuel grate and use the assist when using my Performer but I can understand folks choosing against it for a variety of reasons (one of which includes the need to shut the fuel off after a few minutes).

i don't want to buy, store, own or replace bottles when i have a solution that costs me net zero. call me lazy or efficient. i see zero need to spend money on fuel to light coals when we already produce byproducts that can be used to light charcoal.

beef tallow trimmings, chicken fat trimmings, bacon grease, residual fry oil; all these are free with what i already do/have/use and they're cheap to keep on hand (in the fridge for when needed).

just place some of the fat in a used napkin or used paper towel, place under the chimney, light the napkin and then place chimney atop the fire. in 10 mins i have hot coals which i pour over into CBs or the grill itself.
I would say your method of lighting coal is the opposite of lazy, as in sounds like more work and resource management.

Since I have a gas grill and a fire table, we have propane on hand to refill the little one pounder that fuels the gas assist every few months or so.

I have a weed torch too, but I’ll just keep that for non grill related activities.

I would say your method of lighting coal is the opposite of lazy, as in sounds like more work and resource management.

Since I have a gas grill and a fire table, we have propane on hand to refill the little one pounder that fuels the gas assist every few months or so.

I have a weed torch too, but I’ll just keep that for non grill related activities.
Could be. We only have NG so LP would mean having to buy it. All the other products occur naturally here so it’s just a save them process.

I use the weed torch when I'm transitioning from a lower temp smoke to grilling temps, otherwise I'll use one of the methods Brett described.

An advantage of the weed torch is you can focus on unlit sections of coal and get it lit quickly with no added gunky-burny-things like paper towels and grease.

A battery powered leave blower on a very low speed is another tool to get the fire going quickly.

There is no right answer to any of this, it's simply lighting coal.

I use and love gas assist in my performer. I was a Weber cube guy and picked up a **** ton on sale at Target one year for $2.47 a pack. I still have a bunch. They do seem to dry out though over time.
Getting rid of 1 pound bottles properly is a pain in the *** but well worth it for me.

I used to use my gas assist on the performer but for whatever reason it kept blowing out and not working very well. I could probably clean it up but it's so much easier to use a chimney and a Weber cube and light it off with a propane torch

I use and love gas assist in my performer. I was a Weber cube guy and picked up a **** ton on sale at Target one year for $2.47 a pack. I still have a bunch. They do seem to dry out though over time.
Getting rid of 1 pound bottles properly is a pain in the *** but well worth it for me.
We're going to go the Flame King refillable DOT 1# container route.

I use a chimney set on a patio block further away from the house than my Performer is because I don't want the smoke you get when you first light the coals blowing into the house.

I used to use my gas assist on the performer but for whatever reason it kept blowing out and not working very well. I could probably clean it up but it's so much easier to use a chimney and a Weber cube and light it off with a propane torch
Besides a good cleaning, it may need a new regulator.

I've had it, used it and found it nothing more than a novelty and went back to a chimney with tumbleweed for ignition. I use the same method on my wsm, 26er, and both performers.

I have seen it mentioned from time to time, and am curious- for anyone with a Weber charcoal grill that has factory installed propane “gas assist” and chooses not to use it - why?
My SSP-centric $.02:

I bought a non-assist SSP in 2018 into which I transplanted a sage green bowl and lid. I was perfectly happy using a Weber cube to light a chimney.

About a year and a half later I stumbled across a free gas-assist SSP and transplanted the gas-assist bits along with a Crate & Barrel Green bowl and lid into my existing frame. I was perfectly happy using the gas assist to light a chimney.

Earlier this year, I transplanted an Ivory Master Touch bowl and lid into my SSP frame, but I couldn't bring myself to cut holes in the bowl to accommodate the SSP burner. I've been perfectly happy using a Weber cube to light a chimney.

If you had asked me which I preferred when I was using the gas-assist, I would have answered "gas-assist." After switching back, I'd have to say non-assist and the main reason why is that I generally putter about after starting the chimney. Using a lighter cube means I don't have to interrupt my puttering to return to the grill to shut off the gas.

Non-assist pluses: 1) Never having to make an extra trip to the grill to turn off the gas; 2) Not having to cut three holes into the bowl of the poor unsuspecting kettle you bought to transplant into your performer frame; 3) being able to use an internal ash pan; 4) No burner tube holes=fewer sources of unwanted air leaks; 5) The storage tray you gain when you remove the gas-assist apparatus on SSPs.

Assist pluses: 1) Turn handle. Push Button. Flame. 2) Not having to buy lighter cubes.

I use the gas assist with my chimney.
10 minutes and I'm ready to rock, consistently.
I have used both cubes and tumbleweeds, and to me at least, they give off too "chemically" of smell while burning. And that type of stuff is what gives neighbors reason to *****.

The Overperformer is “pre” the gas assist design change, I used brown paper grocery bags, newspaper, what ever I had. Then, after probably 20 years of that I tried the “spent oil” on paper towel trick and that is perfect for me! I fully appreciate those that have and like them but, like Brett, the disposal and purchase of them is a little costly.
I always have some sort of grease around, I just found that my canola oil on the counter was smelling a little “off“ so that’s out by the grill. I have a pump oiler that seems to dispense just about the right amount.

Purposely purchased around gas assist in both my larger kettle purchases.
Seems like a pain to always have a spare around, the towel and fat seems very reasonable........I purchase lighter cubes which in almost every case I use just one cube, timing on how long the charcoal is in the chimney dictates if its a hot n fast cook or a slower indirect cook. 24 cubes per box is about $10 which makes it very economical. It does have a smell to it upon ignition but it goes away fast....faster than lighting up a chimney of briquettes.....which I started using recently.....lots of black smoke for a long time.....freaks me out a bit as I have used lump exclusively......but that is another story.

Back