Who Has Gas Assist But Chooses to Use Another Method to Light Coal (and why)?

I *HAD* the gas lighter on my WSK S6, but completely removed it. I use a chimney (for hotter, faster), or a propane torch (for low, slow).

Thank you to everyone who responded.

As always it was an education.

I understand about the trouble with those one pound cylinders- if I didn’t have a way to refill the one that came with the grill I would probably feel the same way.

The propane torch to selectively light coals is brilliant. I am going to try that one.

I have a ssp & love the gas assist. Before the performer, I used bits of the prior empty charcoal bag with a little cooking oil & a chimney to light.

I saw a really neat idea recently - I think it was on tic toc - that I want to try: Grab you some dryer lint, stuff it in an empty T. P. roll & light it. All %100 free!

I am refurbing an SSP that needs a new bowl. If I can't find a decent lime green (which is what I'm looking for) with gas assist, I may just drop in a bowl without it mostly because I don't wanna do the mod again to add the ga.

I don't move my performer very often, so I have a 20 Lb tank hooked up to it. Going on five years on that same tank. For my jumbo joe I have a butane camp stove on the JJs cart that I use to light the chimney.
No messy greasy paper towels to deal with.

I use gas assist when I’m at my PNW place because I have a gas assist kettle there.
When I’m in California I use paper with oil or lard because that is what I have there.
I don’t really sweat it or stress on it.
The choice is really a nothingburger because both ways are easy enough.
If the price continues to increase for gas assist fuel I probably will stick with oiled paper as a matter of principle .

I use and love gas assist in my performer. I was a Weber cube guy and picked up a **** ton on sale at Target one year for $2.47 a pack. I still have a bunch. They do seem to dry out though over time.
Getting rid of 1 pound bottles properly is a pain in the *** but well worth it for me.

I am genuinely curious, what is the difficulty with disposing of the 1 lb. bottles?

BD

I am genuinely curious, what is the difficulty with disposing of the 1 lb. bottles?

BD
In Cali the propane bottle is considered hazardous waste and has to be dropped off at special collection sites.

Helium tanks for balloons too. The waste company used to take helium tanks if the safety seal was punched out, circled with a sharpie and clearly marked with the word EMPTY near the punched hole.

The only way they will take a helium tank is if it is cut in half. I'll use a cutoff wheel on a helium tank, but I'm not so keen using one on a propane tank.

I have a gas assist performer and i use it all the time, but if my bottle goes empty i do not fret i use the paper towel with some bacon grease to start, Now i was lucky a couple years back i was at a yard sale and picked up 10 or 12 bottles for about 10 bucks, and i do have a adapter, and a small scale so i can refill the bottles, disposal i drop the real old bottles off at refilling station or recycle bin.
I will say one thing the bacon grease makes start up a better smelling process.

In Cali the propane bottle is considered hazardous waste and has to be dropped off at special collection sites.

Helium tanks for balloons too. The waste company used to take helium tanks if the safety seal was punched out, circled with a sharpie and clearly marked with the word EMPTY near the punched hole.

The only way they will take a helium tank is if it is cut in half. I'll use a cutoff wheel on a helium tank, but I'm not so keen using one on a propane tank.

When you say "propane bottle" are you referring to these little green Coleman things?

1685402398199.png

You've got to cut them in half? Dayum ! ! !

BD

When you say "propane bottle" are you referring to these little green Coleman things?

View attachment 71540

You've got to cut them in half? Dayum ! ! !

BD
Yes those are hazardous waste and cannot (legally) be disposed of in the trash. I refill these so it's not an issue for me. I think I've got a dozen or so empty. I've not tried to cut one in half.

The tanks I cut in half are like the one below and the metal is much thinner.
20230529_162747.jpg

i live in a smaller town and the Equipment retail store is a propane dealer. refill etc. and also a metal recycling center. so when my small tanks do not refill or hold pressure well they have told me to bring to them and they will dispose of them per the state laws. There propane maybe a little higher but you get good services and 12 miles less to drive for a refill. I wish all stores offered this service.

I’m just really not a fan of buying the 1lb containers and then having to find a way to get rid of them.

Get the hose with the 1 pound style adapter on one end and a 20lb connector on the other and use a full size tank. When I had the new generation Performer that's what I used. Now I have a '99 SSP and just get the 5 pounder it has refilled.

I've had it, used it and found it nothing more than a novelty and went back to a chimney with tumbleweed for ignition. I use the same method on my wsm, 26er, and both performers.

I *HAD* the gas lighter on my WSK S6, but completely removed it. I use a chimney (for hotter, faster), or a propane torch (for low, slow).

Oh, I very much still use the chimney with the gas assist. Best way to start the chimney other than the side burner on a gasser. After moving I hadn't unmothballed my SSP for a couple of months and was using the starter cubes, but they weren't nearly as efficient or easy as the gas assist, in my opinion. I am saving the rest of the cubes for when I'm using the JJ for the camper or using the GA on the beach.

I'm using the gas assist starter on the E330 today.

View attachment 71376

Exhibit A ^^^^^^ I did the same thing when I had a Genny.

Yes those are hazardous waste and cannot (legally) be disposed of in the trash. I refill these so it's not an issue for me. I think I've got a dozen or so empty. I've not tried to cut one in half.

The tanks I cut in half are like the one below and the metal is much thinner.
View attachment 71542

Well, nothing personal, but just another reason why I'm way happier in the Sunshine, as opposed to Golden, State.

BD

No comment on some of the laws we have, but the LP canister or bottle disposal laws don't bother me. Its been 10 to 15 years since I've bought a disposable 1 pound canister. I only use one or two a year and those are refilled from a full 20 pounder.

When I finish my rolling table I'll have a mount for a 20 lb tank and use that for the torch and pizza oven.

Back