Whiskey - what's your current favorite?

There are so many good whiskies out there. When it comes to Scotland, almost anything from Balvenie, Glenlivet and MaCallan is great. Obviously, even within those, some are better than others. Age and cost don't always determine what's better.

As for bourbon, I'm very happy with Woodford Reserve's Double Oak. And I have nothing bad to say about a simple Maker's Mark.

Again, there are so many!

I've seen this one, here and there, but the price, (~$90.00 give or take), has always scared me off. I finally pulled the trigger, when I was shopping at the package store on base, and paid $88.00 tax-free 🥃
I love rye whiskey, but have never been a fan of finished whiskey.
Whew! It is sweet and rum-forward. The rye, (it's an MGP juice, which I'm a fan of), is hovering in the background, but it's way to sweet for me.
If I had tried this beforehand, I wouldn't have bought it.
That being said, it will make a great dessert pour, and looks pretty cool on the bar. I'll have to revisit this one, down the road, and reassess.
The Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof is a winner!

The Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof is a winner!
Damn right! It's one of my favorites.
The pictured bottle is a store pick. Whoever selected this barrel hit it out of the park. I'm talking bottom of the ninth, grand-slam.
I bought 4 bottles and will buy a couple more, when I'm back in the neighborhood.

Damn right! It's one of my favorites.
The pictured bottle is a store pick. Whoever selected this barrel hit it out of the park. I'm talking bottom of the ninth, grand-slam.
I bought 4 bottles and will buy a couple more, when I'm back in the neighborhood.
Glad to hear some places have a good selection. We have state stores here and the last six months have been dismal. Things should get better since some of the bigwigs have “chosen” to resign.

Glad to hear some places have a good selection. We have state stores here and the last six months have been dismal. Things should get better since some of the bigwigs have “chosen” to resign.
Good Luck. State stores, at least the ones I've visited in VA & PA, don't have the best selections, but they do have fair prices.
Here in MD, there are a lot of liquor stores, with good selections, but the prices vary, because of the distributorship system.
The store where I purchased the JDSBBP has a very knowledgeable staff, fair pricing, and a fantastic barrel selection team. In addition to the JD, I've purchased several of their picks, including Knob Creek Rye, (a steal at $39.00), Ezra Brooks, Proof & Wood and they're all great.

They're proud of their picks, and let you try before you buy.

Not only is it good, it's pretty affordable. The Gentleman Jack ain't too shabby either
Shhhhhhhhhhh!!
That's supposed to be a secret🤫🤫
How people haven't discovered the Barrel Proof is a head-scratcher.
It's between $66-$70 in our neck of the woods, (Baltimore metro area).

Good Old JD No7 with ginger ale or Vernors.. Been drinking it for close to 50 years. Not a fan of any of their other offerings. For very special occasions, I have some JW Blue Label, but only for very special times. I once took the tour in Lynchburg while in Nashville at a conference. Did a side trip to Memphis to Neely's Interstate BBQ which was very good as was Jack's in Nashville.

I took the Jack Daniels tour when I was 16-17 what a great time, my mother was in a wheelchair and enjoyed lemonade while writing postcards in the guest center while Dad and I tromped all through the place! Beautiful day, wonderful memories! Picked up a bottle when we got out of the dry county and mom and I put a serious dent in the thing. I was fine the next morning, Mom? Not so much.

RFkRAkv.jpg
Chuck - I'm totally buying a bottle of the Uncle Nearest small batch when/if I see it. I've got a bottle of their 1956 "Premium" 100 proof, and it's very smooth for being 100 proof. It tastes great neat, or on the rocks. I'm comparing it to a bottle of Remus 100 proof, and the Uncle is a clear winner.

Tried to get into single malt years back. Problem was I have temperamental taste buds. One day it was great, another not so much. I do enjoy Glenmorangie from time to time.

Am admittedly not much of a whiskey/bourbon drinker but when the mood strikes me to have a sip Crown Royal is the drink I pour.

Favorite whiskey? Yes.

Drinking straight, I like a heavy peaty like any expression from Laphroaig.

Otherwise, try to pick different ones based on how much I want to spend that day.

Back