Which pizza stone?

M Crooks

TVWBB Fan
OK all these darn pizza cooks have my attention. Which pizza stone do you have or should I get? How big is it? If it's an amazon prime item even better.
Thanks Matt

I ordered a Lodge Cast Iron Pizza stone (pan). It is 14 inch and is a amazon prime item. Don't go by the amazon description that says it can hand temps to 400 degrees. I thought that was kinda low for cast iron, but the Lodge website says nothing about this and several reviews state they use it for grilling pizza

I currently use a cheapo $5 one I picked up from Bed Bath and Beyond. I had another cheapo one that finally broke after a couple years. The one I have isn't made for the grill but I've had the surface temp on it up to about 575*. I have a nice pizza stone for my oven that is the size of the rack. This is for cold rainy day pizza or bread cooking.

I think mine is from Pampered (Paupered) Chef, but I saw a nice one at Walton's Market for cheap the other day.

I have a baking steel in my very near future. It is getting wonderful reviews in several bread-baking sites that I visit. The baking steel is pretty heavy, about 15 pounds. They are just now coming out with one that has a flat-top grilling surface on it and a channel to catch grease -- I think it is reversible, totally flat on the other side. Pricey, but indestructible.

For those who have the regular stones, I suggest that you let them heat up gradually in a low temperature grill and increase the heat every 5 minutes or so in about 3 or 4 steps.

Rita

P.S. I just checked the website. The Steel Griddle was to have been introduced "around June," but they must be running a little late. I suppose that "soon" is the operative word.

http://bakingsteel.com/category/pizza/

You might enjoy looking over some of the pizza recipes while you're there.

Last edited:
I sent a email and the reply was that the one you can reverse will be here in the fall. In the meantime I'm going to look at a local steel fabricator and ask them how much a 14" square 1/4" thick piece of steel would be.

If the reversible one is like $150.00 in the fall I will pass on that feature.

Brian, it wouldn't surprise me if it came in around $150. Would you please let us know how your search turns out?

Rita

this says it's $6.88 per square foot ($220.27 for a 4' x 8' quarter inch thick sheet). This is one of my local steel suppliers, but it's a commodity so your local prices should be close. The cost is before any cuts. They have a wall of pre-cut sizes/thicknesses for common choices. I believe it's carbon steel, like a wok, not cast iron, but unless I'm missing something it might be an option for DIY'ers.

http://www.wasatchsteel.com/steel/plain-plate/c-plate2.html

Michael, I'm not familiar with that material. Hopefully someone else here is. I wonder if it is food safe. If there is anything about that on their website, I couldn't find it. Also, I suppose it is lead-free since most pottery (at least in the U.S.) nowadays is. You surely can't beat the price!

Rita

There's a ton of references to it over at pizzamakingforum.com. No official food safe claims from the manufacturer that I've seen, though.

I don't know about fumes from the material, but if someone isn't sure, baking their pizza on a sheet of parchment might help. I don't mean to alarm anyone but checking if a substitute for a baking steel or a baking stone is food safe is a good thing to consider. Years ago when baking tiles first came out we were warned not to use quarry tiles, especially those from Mexico, because they might contain lead.
Rita

I have an Old Stone Oven 16" round stone. Have had it for about a year and a half and really like.. think it was $35 or $40 on Amazon. Have cooked many pies with no issue.

Back