Which pizza stone?

I have had 4 of the rectangular (14 x 16") Old Stone Oven stones for about 15 or so years and have been very pleased with them. I often use 2 but can use 3 at a time in my oven (they are a huge heat sink, so I preheat 1 1/4 hours at 550 degrees convection) but only use one on my grill.

Rita

Mat, there are so many variables to selecting the right or good stone. 1st would be what type of oven or heat source are you using. Do you want a stone that conducts heat fast or not. Do you want a stone that can take direct heat, like a Weber kettle? Lots of variables. Might I suggest that you check out Pizza Making.com. I am a member there for a couple years and those folks know about not only stones but steels, wood fired ovens, making your own dough, etc. I had boght a stone that is cut for the Weber kettle.
http://redskygrilling.com/

Worked good but I have moved on to a WFO. (wood fired oven).

Mark

Last edited:
I am in the fence and dont know how much I will use a stone. I see these great pizza cooks and want to try them but I already own a pizzaz and its a dedicated pizza cooker. The more I think about it the more I am not sure I want to fire up a weber an hour before I want a pizza.

I have the Emile Henry pizza stone also and have had very good results. I would recommend it. Here is a picture of one of the pizzas we made this weekend.

Back