Where's The Ring?

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
I did some SLR's on my 18.5 yesterday and they came out great. However I did not get any smoke ring. Can anyone give me some tips on how to get a nice smoke ring on my ribs?

I always rub a little mustard on mine. After 40 minutes or so it's nice and wet. I later spray them which always creates a nice smoke ring. That and putting them on cold.

JRA, what temp are you cooking at? How much wood are you using? What charcoal are you using? All of these things can affect your smoke ring to a degree. The ring is a reaction that happens up to a certain temp (of the meat) which if I recall correctly is about 140 degrees. If your ribs go on cool/cold, this will help. If you add the ribs before the cooker is up to temp (I cook ribs around 240), that will help. Possibly more wood/smoke will help, but you need to be careful to not over do it.

I stopped chasing the ring a while back, as I don't think it adds to the flavor any. Sometimes I get a good one, sometimes not much at all. Tweak some of the variables above to see what works for you.

Rich

I was cooking at 250° with 6 small applewood an 2 hickory chunks using KBB. Rins went on cold and before the cooker was up to temp. The chamber temp when I added them was about 200 and I added the wood when the ribs went on.

Last edited:
Looks good to me. I typically add my smoke wood when I fire up the coals (or when I dump my Minion Method coals). Not sure that will make a difference (probably not.) Maybe you accidentally bought anti-smoke ring ribs? ;)

Rich

LOL, maybe. Like yourself I'm not obsessing over the ring. It would add visual appeal and nice to achieve but the bottom line is taste and the the approval of SWMBO, which these ribs have earned. I do appreciate your input Rich.

I can't get much of one on my brisket. My ribs usually have a light one. I can't figure it out why some people get amazing ones and others don't. No matter how much we know it doesn't matter it's still a beautiful thing.

I rarely get much of a ring on SLC ribs. Really, most of the meat is between the bones, and what meat is on the outside gets all crusty and delicious, which (to me) trumps visual appeal any day. On BB ribs (the ones I usually seem meatier), I often get a bit of a ring, but if I do, it's just the luck of the draw.

Did you rub the ribs with something that would have prevented oxides of Nitrogen from getting to the meat ?

My food has a great smoky flavor but I don't get much if any smoke ring on anything I cook.
I have tried every recommendation short of cooking with water in the water pan which is not something I am willing to do.
As much as I would love to have that beautiful red/purple band I settle for great tasting meats.

I'm with you there on the water on the pan Charles. As nice as getting a good smoke ring would be it is strictly aesthetic, and I'm not willing to to compromise on the quality of my food for aesthetics. I appreciate your input.

The first little brisket flat I did I got no smoke ring. Ever since that I've always gotten them putting the meat on wet.

First time I ever got a smoke ring on ribs this thick. What did I do different? The meat was really cold, just a tad bit still frozen. Flavor was the same as always, just a huge smoke ring.

17996733539_b63ed6cbee_z.jpg

With time people have learned how to create an artificial smoke ring. By coating the meat with Salt Tenderizer, the nitrogen dioxide will create an artificial ring. After years of this kind of approach, judges at BBQ competitions have eliminated the smoke ring as any visual consideration when judging competitions.

Back