When You're Smokin' What are You Drinkin' and Listening to?

Coors, Maybe a shot or two of Jack Daniels. Listening to country on the radio. Hank or Paisley on a CD.

I really enjoy having some ice cold Rolling Rock "33", and Allman Bros. tunes in the background.

Guess I'm boring...
icon_smile.gif

About all I drink these days is tea, mostly green tea. Real full-leaf tea, not that junk you get in tea bags. My current favorite is a variety called 'gunpowder' tea. It's got a slightly smoky flavor that mixes well with BBQ. I've found that it's great iced.

Music-wise, I'm also a musician like the original poster (70's and 80's style power metal bass guitar). My band (url is in my public profile if anyone's that interested) put out a CD back in 2000. I still like to listen to it. The band has been on a hiatus for over a year now while our guitar player recovers from a broken neck but we had 15 new songs in various stages of being recorded when he had his accident. I started taking piano lessons a couple of months ago and got inspired to start writing some new songs. I've got one song completely written, bass and rhythm guitar wise. I've also got four other songs started and an outline for a seven song epic. Hopefully the band will start doing something soon so I can show them what I've been up to.

When not writing or listening to my stuff I listen to stuff within that genre. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Rainbow, you get the idea.

I also listen to quite a bit of "post WWII" blues (being from Chicago and all). Some country (50s-70s, none of that mass-produced junk they call country these days). Finally, I like classical (Beethoven, Bach, that kind of thing).

Bit of an eclectic music-wise.
icon_biggrin.gif
That drives people nuts.

Strong coffee in the morning, sweet iced tea during the day and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sam Adams Cream Stout, or any number of varied micro-brews or imports at night. I like to mix it up. Same with music; NRBQ, Los Lobos, The Cramps, The Damned, XTC, Supergrass, Supertramp, My Morning Jacket, spaghetti western soundtracks... too much to list really.

Oh, and my wife loves the smell of smoke.
icon_smile.gif

I am in a similar boat as Adam Clyde, except I knock down a Bud or two. Some Pearl Jam, Weezer, Blink. Plus Disney and Wiggles with the youngins.

Evening smokes brings out the Makers. Day smokes would be Leinies or Capital. Ice water if I'm not in the mood.
I listen to the water run over the damn, and my kids playing in the yard. That, my friends, is music.

Drinking: Whites...German riesling, sauvignon blanc, Vouvray. Reds...pinot noir, Cru Beaujolais (buy the best!), zinfandel, syrah, & Rhone blends. Grain in the glass...Red Tail Ale, Sierra Nevada PA, or any respectable micro brew.

Music: anything from the Ultra Lounge or Bachelor's Den series...the Rat Pack (especially Dean!)...vintage blues (RJ, Muddy, Wolf, et al) country (Jimmie, Hank, George, Lefty, Merle, Buck), rockabilly (Sleepy LaBeef, the Burnetts, Charlie Feathers, EP) or jazz/exotica(Esquivel, Les Baxter, Arthur Lyman, Martin Denney). Usually 4-5 discs of 'Exotica' will suffice for chicken or ribs.
Real organic percussion sounds...the meat likes it!

Coors Light or maybe a Corona. As far as the tunes go, its country or southern rock
(ZZ Top, Stevie Ray, Allman Bros.)

Chris
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Paul S,

Is that Joisey beer, or are you still on the last drops from Latrobe?

Mike B,

You shouldn't listen to Bad Music for Bad People.

D

Whatever happens to be in the kegerator at the time. Miller Lite, Red Stripe, etc. The kegerator is a must have for smoking.
Whatever happens to be on the ipod at the time. Lately it has been Pete Yorn, Bob Marley, old Elton John, the Reverend Al Green, etc.
This week it will have to be Elvis since it is Elvis death week here in town.

Good God how can I ignore this great thread...it keeps rearing it's head. Since I'm a newbie to the Bullet, here's what I've had, and what I'll have and listen to:

Music on the IPod: Luther Allison, Albert and Freddie King, Son Seals, Jimmie Johnson, Diana Krall, Katie Melua, Clapton, SRV, Mayall, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Strait, Johnny Winter, Hooker, Beethoven, YoMama...uh..I mean YoYo Ma..you get the idea. Blues mostly, other stuff when I'm in the mood.

Beer: no peewater allowed. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Anchor Liberty Ale, Omegang from Cooperstown NY (great stuff), Guiness, Bass.
Wine: A big and smokey shiraz or CDP. If I'm the mood for a sweeter front and mid palate, a younger Turley Zinfandel. If in a genteel mood, a lighter pinot from Washington/Oregon, or if in the mood for whites a sauvignon blanc. I'll save the serious big boys (classified growths, super Tuscans..etc) for a winter evening in a dark room in front of the stereo listening to the music above.
Spirits: Basil Hayden and Lagavulen, that's all I need to keep warm.

A home made limeaid slush or home brewed rootbeer. The tunes could be Mason Proffit, John Hiatt, Poco, CSN or Brian Wilson after he came out of his room.
Ben move that smoker to the back of the yard. It will keep the wife happier and give you some excersize.

I did a quick butt on Sunday and was drinking Sam Adams Light. For most of the day I was listening to my son (4.5 year old), ask questions and talking about how the Wonder Pets Saved the Tree (I don't know what that is, a TV Show)

Butt came out great!

Marc, my three boys (8, 6, 6) talk about stuff like that all of the time. Worst part is, at 6 they are not particularly adept story tellers. They are, however, enthusiatic!
And learning to love Q.

Wonder Pets saved the tree? This is what I have to look forward to? My son is two and a huge "Little Einsteins" fan.
icon_smile.gif
I'm trying to steer him away from Elmo (not having luck with that one) and 'The Big Purple Dinosaur" is strictly verboten.
icon_biggrin.gif

On the plus side, he's taken to the computer I built for him like a duck to water so he'll probably be posting here with a year or two.
icon_wink.gif
He's a third generation geek (Geek v3.0). Mom was an old mainframe programmer, I'm a sysadmin. It's in his DNA.

Music: Steve Earle, John Prine, Bruce Springsteen, Lil' Band O Gold, Supersuckers, Gourds, Sufjan Stevens, Johnny Cash, Lucinda Williams, Old 97's.

Drink: Tripel Karmeliet, Kwak, PBR, Evan Williams, Urthel Bock, Grotten Brown Ale, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Victory Hop Devil, Pilsner Urquell, Surley Furious.

I believe that good barbecue can only happen when surrounded by good people, good beer and good music. Always works for me. . .

Back