When to Smoke for work luncheon

Van DeWald

TVWBB Fan
I got asked by the social committee at work to smoke some pork for a Veteran's Day luncheon we are having. Will be about 15 people at work. We have a vending fund at work and occasionally use the profit to have group lunches. The social committee will buy the pork, and I'll smoke it. Because of my work schedule, I have two options 1) smoke it 4 days before hand, or 2) smoke it the night before, but that would require going into the wee hours and not getting a good night's sleep waiting for it to finish, or I could smoke it at say 300 instead of 250 to get it to finish faster. If I smoke 4 days beforehand, would I still freeze it, then rethaw, and reheat in a crock pot on lunch day? If I smoke it the night before, no need to freeze it, but still warm up in the crockpot at work to serve. I've smoked quite a bit, but have always smoked and eaten right away. Thanks for any advice.

If I had to do a cook for lunch at work, I'd do ribs, at 250 start at 8am with a target of noon

I would go with smoking it 4 days beforehand so that you can sleep the night before. Here's the cook schedule I just did for a gathering of about the same size:

6 AM day before: pork butt goes on smoker at 275
4 PM day before: pork butt comes off smoker (200 internal). Cool down to room temp and then refrigerate whole.
11 AM day of: stick in oven at 225
4 PM day of: internal temp reaches 160, pull and put in aluminum pan for serving.

You can smoke 4 days before, and then reheat it in a very low oven overnight so it's ready to bring to work in an insulated cooler/carrier in the morning. I don't think you'll need to freeze it if you cool it down rapidly after smoking (say, in an ice bath) and keep it refrigerated, but then again, I'm not overly cautious about food safety. I didn't find any decrease in quality or moisture from reheating the whole pork shoulder. I found it helpful to wrap after the bark was set and to keep it wrapped in foil throughout the reheating process to conserve the juices. If you pour those juices over the pulled meat, it'll stay plenty moist until lunchtime.

Don't be afraid of the overnight cook. If you know your wsm it should be fine. The wsm holds temp really well, and you should be able to get plenty of sleep. Fresh BBQ is best, not leftovers. you can do it!

Back