What's Your Favorite Wood Choice

G Belton

The other day I found some hickory chunks and some Jack Daniels Oak Barrel chips. I made what I now feel is a mistake by using both of them at the same time to cook some ribs.

The meat was so smoky flavored, I couldn't taste the rub and barely tasted the pork and I only used 2 very small chunks of the Hickory and a 2 handfuls of the oak scattered around.

I found a wood chart that someone had posted a link to and noticed that both Hickory and Oak are classified as being strong.

Which leads me to my question, what is your favorite choice of wood?

G,

It really is all a matter of opinion. For me I use Hickory, pecan, apple and cherry. You jsut ahve to experimetn with what you and the people you are feeding likes. I like alot of smoke flavor myself but not overpowering, the wife and kids don't like as much smoke so I cut way back at home.

Hickory and Oak together might be to strong for me as well. I would try one or the other and then add a fruit wood for some sweetness to offset the stronger hardwoods.

Beef = Hickory, Oak or Pecan alone
Pork = Pecan chunks with Apple and Cherry chips
Chicken = Oak chunks with Cherry chips

Go with the chart you found and you can't go wrong. I always try and mix a stonger hardwood (Hickory, Oak, Pecan, Mesquite) with a sweet fruit wood (Apple, Cherry, etc.)

You just have to experiment and see what you like the best. Good luck and have fun with it. Let us know what you like the best.

Randy

Any free wood that's acceptable for smoking. Right now I have hickory, oak, apple and pear. If it's a strong wood I use less of it, but basically, I can't tell a lot of difference in smoke woods. Some can, but not me. I don't use much smoke wood.

G,

Here's a good reference source:

Make sure (especially with ribs!) that your smoke wood is burning cleanly. If you have thick white smoke pouring out of your smoker, it will cause a very strong, bitter taste.

Have fun!

JimT

I generally like to use mesquite, apple, sugar maple, pecan, or orange woods. I would hesitate to pick a favorite because I use different woods on different meats.

I usually use a combination of hickory and fruit wood. Cherry, apple, and pear are local woods that I have regular access to.

A friend of mine owns a tree company and usually has a variety. I have tried cherry. pecan,and black jack oak. I think I like the milder woods better.

I usually use hickory as a base and then blend in some cherry, apple, and even some of those Jack D. oak chips!
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

I usually have more access to maple and oak than anything else, but if/when I can get apple, I use that. My brother-in-law has an old pecan tree he's considering cutting down, and if he does, I'll be all over that, too. Like Jerry N., I can't tell a lot of difference in the finished product based on the kind of wood I use.

Around here all that you can find anywhere in chunks is hickory and mesquite. My fiance's parents gave me a big bag of mesquite. I haven't used it yet and know it is very strong. Probably best used for pork or beef. Why don't the big retailers or hardware stores carry apple chunks instead of mesquite? From posts on this site it seems like apple is at the top of the smokewood list.

Just about any fruitwood is terrific.

I've use apple, cherry, peach, orange and grapefruit.

Pecan and cherry are my favorites I think.

But really, all are great.

I like to use Almond, but only because we have alot of it around here. If I come across a combo I like I can always duplicate it without mailorder!

I can't say about using hickory and oak together, I usually use one or the other along with some fruitwood. I normally use 5 chunks on any particular cook. Usually 2 oak and the rest fruitwood.

I can however comment on oversmoking. It was a warm spring afternoon and .... anyhow I oversmoked some ribs. I used a large handful of hickory "chips". I still can't use much hickory to this day. I can see it possible to have too much smoke in 2 handfuls. I don't know why but I think chips are stronger for some reason. All I know is chunks seem to regulate a lot better than chips.

Clark thanks for that info about birch. I have read a couple of those lists that have been posted here and have seen birch listed. I was just reluctant to try it as I haven't seen anyone try it and post results. I will definately keep an eye out for it now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh! I forgot to add that birch is fantastic! It may be easier for some folks to find too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clark what is birch like? I have plenty of birch for the fireplace and I can not find any wood chunks anywhere. Is it strong or mild? How much do you use?

Thanks
Jay

Pecan, Apple, and Cherry are my all time favorites. I will mix up the combination depending on what I am smoking. For brisket I usually use more Pecan as an example. However I must say that regardless of the mix with these three I have yet to be dissapointed in the flavors associated regardless of the meats smoked.

Back