What's Your Favorite Wood Choice

Jay, if you have pleanty for the fireplace what else do you need besides a bit of time to cut it into smaller chunks. If you haven't burnt it all up you are ready to go.

Clark I would be interested in hearing what kind of flavor birch imparts if you don't mind.

After ruining a few racks of ribs due to over-smoking, I have definitely come to the conclusion that "less is more" regardless of smoke wood type. I generally use just a couple chunks of pecan and apple and let them burn down until there's just a whisp of blue smoke before putting on my ribs. I'm never disappointed if I feel a rack could have used a bit more smoke, but too much will drive me to drink......more!

Sorry I misspoke with my earlier post. What I meant is I can not find any type of wood chunks (oak, apple, hickory…). So if I can use birch instead I will start cutting.

Next fall I will order some oak with the birch for the fireplace and make my own chunks.

Right now my favorite wood is apple.

Thanks
Jay

Birch produces a light mild somewhat sweet aroma. Lighter than hickory or oak. More like an apple or cherry in mildness. I tried it after using Maple Leaf lump which was made with birch, beech, and maple. It was the best smelling lump I have ever tried.
I would say if you have some birch, light a fire, throw a lump of birch on and see how it smells to you. Use some tongs and take it off if you don't like it.
As far as how much to use, I'd say treat it like any other wood. Too much and it's going to be bitter.

Pecan is my all-purpose smoke wood. Alder is good on turkey and fish, particularly salmon. Cherry sees occasional use with pork, but pecan (mostly) and alder are the two woods I can't do without.

Back