What's your favorite smoke wood?

I like them all but...

Guava mixed with hickory is my favorite using a 2 to 1 ratio.

I also like wine barrle chips once in awhile for variety.

Aloha!

Greg Kemp

I must say, I've never met a wood I didn't like. So far Cherry, Guava, Maple, and Hickory and mixes of each have treated me very well! Oh yeah and Alder for the little fishies. Favorite so far.... probably be a mix of guava and hickory, but cherry was very good too.

Josh

I'm currently smoking some beef ribs with guava I picked up from Greg. I never used it so I decided to use it by itself first and see how it tastes. Then I'll start mixing and playing. I use apple, cherry (purchased at cabela's) and pecan (from nature's own). I'd like to try some alder on fish too some time soon. This is a great hobby, since I started I actually lost 5 lbs. I'm eating better foods now, paying more attention to how they are cooked. OOPS! starting to go off on a tangent a bit!

Speaking of using wood. I was down to a local BBQ contest this past weekend and you know how it is everybody loves to talk about quein'. One of the competitors told me he uses different woods at different stages of his smoke. He says it effects the coloring and the taste. Interesting concept. For example,if you started with hickory toward the the center and cherry toward the outer ring of charcoal. It may give you a different finishing color and flavor

My favorite wood is wood that is free. Right now I'm lucky enough to have plenty of hickory and apple.

Thats my favorite wood as well.(apple)..UPS just arrived a few hours ago and dropped off 18 pounds of Apple wood...the funny this is that when i opened it i actually said outloud...Wow, this is gorgeous wood!!! never thought id say that about wood.. but it is.. as you will be able to see....one is the package of wood and the other is the hickory bag from HD...which would would you rather huh.......

and in case you were wondering....the wonderful Bryan sent me alot of his branch that was beautifuly aged for over 10 months....Thank you bryan....
icon_smile.gif

Bryan's Wood

Originally posted by Mordechai Striks:
Thats my favorite wood as well.(apple)..UPS just arrived a few hours ago and dropped off 18 pounds of Apple wood...the funny this is that when i opened it i actually said outloud...Wow, this is gorgeous wood!!! never thought id say that about wood.. but it is.. as you will be able to see....one is the package of wood and the other is the hickory bag from HD...which would would you rather huh.......

and in case you were wondering....the wonderful Bryan sent me alot of his branch that was beautifuly aged for over 10 months....Thank you bryan....
icon_smile.gif

Bryan's Wood
Your Welcome Bud. The branch i cut off last year is about 8" across. See i like to leave the wood whole and when i need some i just cut a round off the branch and split it and use it. This way it's aged but still fresh instead of drying out too much like the bag stuff you buy. Glad it arrived intact Mords. The box looks a little wrinkled.

ok so it was a really wide piece of wood.. ok i understand now....

um the winkled...that was me who ravaged it apart to get to the wood..i didnt have my keys on me.. and i guess in the excitement.....it came really in prestine condition.....thanks buddy

Anybody here tried corncobs?

I have used several types of wood, apple, pear, maple, grape vine trimmings, and corncobs. To be honest, my taste buds aren't finely tuned enough to tell a big difference between them, though I can smell a difference in the smoke when it is cooking.

My wife doesn't like smoke, so I usually go very light on the smoke woodd.

Up until recently I have only used cherry. I found some hickory, oak and maple that I will try out on my next cooks as well. I have a pile of apple, but it's gone musty so I don't think I want to use it....

I use one chunk each of apple, hickory, and cherry for almost every cook. Seems to be a nice balance for all meats and takes the guesswork out of deciding which wood to use with what meat.

Only caveat is I always use alder with fish.

Al

USed to mix hickory with apple or cherry. A friend turned me on to pecan and now all I use is pecan. I love the pecan smoked ribs...

Depending on my mood I use oak or pecan as a base.

Then I add cherry, hickory or mesquite depending on what I'm cooking and the taste I'm going for.

In the fall when I go apple picking I use..... apple alone. It's a nice general purpose wood and I've had success using it on everything including salmon.

Speaking of salmon I'm in the alder camp.

Keep trying to fall in love with maple since I have so many on my property but I haven't quite figured out the right flavor print for it.

Well...Yesterday was my trip to Natures Own..we bought 160 pounds of wood..80lbs for me 80lbs for my brother...pecan, hickory and apple... Very nice people...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Rene R.:
Well...Yesterday was my trip to Natures Own..we bought 160 pounds of wood..80lbs for me 80lbs for my brother...pecan, hickory and apple... Very nice people...
wsmsmile8gm.gif
I think you need to take a trip to Lancaster County to check out all the tourist attractions. Make sure you post when you do, as long as you are on the way down, you can bring some of that wood here for us with no shipping lol. I ordered Pecan last week, hope it get's here soon!

Usually I am not near anything...when it comes to bbq/grill/smoking...it was a nice surprize to find this place so close...
icon_smile.gif

Back