What's your favorite smoke wood?

I'm still experimenting, but...

Beef - Hickory or oak
Pork - Hickory mixed with apple, or apple and cherry mixed
Chicken - apple and cherry mixed

I just tried guava, and it was very good on ribs. Also, I hav esued pear instead of apple and I like that, too.

i only use Hickory..cuz i cant find any other type of wood out here...

bryan natures own do they sell in chunks also or did you get the chips...

Originally posted by Mordechai Striks:

bryan natures own do they sell in chunks also or did you get the chips...
Chunks Bud. They run a little on the big side. I have a small hand axe that takes care of that issue pretty quick. The quality is fantastic. I'll be buying from them again. Very happy with the wood.
icon_cool.gif

Butt...hickory and peach
brisket...hickoty or oak and peach
chicken...cherry or apple and peach
there is a pattern...peach
I have my eyes on a pear tree to be taken over by our expanding airport.

Originally posted by Rene R.:
Bryan,
Can can you tell us how you smoked that beautiful bird? Makes me hungry just looking at it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
I combined 2 recipes from TVWBB one by Keri C and one from Chris A for this brine. The turkey came out fantastic i used a 12 lb fresh Perdue turkey.
1 12-14 lb Turkey
1 gal Apple juice
3/4 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 oranges 1/4'rd and squeezed into brine also add the 1/4's to the brine
4 oz of fresh ginger sliced thin
15 whole cloves
Place bird neck end down in a non reactive pot or plastic container and submerge in brine. You can also use a platic bag and add the turkey and brine and then add to a large pot i use a turkey fryer pot with water in it if your container is too big instead of making more brine. That method works really well. Brine for 24 hrs. Rinse the bird VERY well inside and out with running water to remove all traces of the brine. Patt dry with towels and set to dry overnight in refrigerator 8 - 10 hrs. Smoked at 235 - 250 over Lump. I used 3 med pieces of cherry wood and one pack of orange pellets. So moist and tender and the color was perfect.
icon_smile.gif

Bryan, that looks fantastic. All of my turkeys cooked using a combination of hickory, apple and cherry, come out dark mahogany (sp??) to black. On the other hand, I have had almost too much smoke but never too much smoke. Maybe I just throw a lot more smoke to a bird.

On edit: bird?? ANYTHING on the smoker

Originally posted by Mordechai Striks:
Are you saying that, in the largest of the five boroughs of NYC-- the city where you can do or get anything you want at any time of day or night-- you can't get smokewood other than hickory?

Think im gonna order some oak, cherry and pecan

can you explain

Product Details

A chunk is about the size of two fists. A mini-chunk is approximately 3.5"x3.5"x3.5".

so they dont sell the minichunks only the one the size of two fists.. ok ill buy a lil axe from HD...every man needs one right...?

maybe im.....but i have looked in all yellow pages and i cant find ANYTHING other than HD...mmmm...i have always been looking under BBQ in yellow pages.. perhaps i should look under wood...ill go do that right now..

but to answer you question.. ya up untill now i cant figure out how to get any wood locally..let me look in the pages now...

there is nothing under wood......

If I had to pick one and only one it wouldn't be wood at all. The Jack daniels pellets from BBQ Delight are awesome.

I usually use 3 different types of wood on each cook. I have a nice if not envyable collection of smokewood.
Oak
Hickory
Apple
Cherry
Sugarmaple
Mesquite
Sassafrass
Wild Grape Vine
I have yet to try the last 2 on anything. Along with a nice selection of BBQ Delight pellets.

I am afraid to use more than 2 pieces of hickory on anything because I overdone hickory on some ribs a couple of years ago. Heck I just started using it again a couple of months ago. I got access to several big hickory trees.

I just threw on a brisket and a butt and used 2 mesquite, 2 hickory, and 2 cherry. I can't wait til tomorrow.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Jeff,
I agree those JD pellets are great, but I think they are a pain to keep exchanging packets for longer cooks. I know some bury several throughout the charcoal like chunks of wood. Maybe I should do that. Most times, I use them on the kettle or gasser.
I never tried the wild grape vine, but the sassafrass was a one time deal for me, didn't care for that one.
Hope the brisket turns out well, hope to do one this week also.

I've used oak, maple, and apple, depending on what I could get for free, and liked them all. My wife's sister has several big pecan trees and I'm trying to convince her husband that they are in need of trimming. (I'll even help him, and cart off the debris.)

I know what you mean Bob. I usually only use 2 though so not that bad. As stated before I have yet to use one type of smoke. I like to mix it up. I tried using 1 packet of the JD it definately wasn't enough. I get good flavor from 2.

Maybe I will have to try more of the JD and just 1 chunk of hickory or something.

Jeff,
Most times, I only use one type of wood anymore. It is funny though, when I tell people that the food was smoked with say cherry or Hockory, they say it taste great. When I tell them that there is 2-3 different types of wood in there, they have a stronger reaction, like your a BBQ/smoker chef or something lol.
When it comes to the JD pellets, I use only that for sure, and a lot of it. I wish I could find big chunks of it to use.

So you use it without any other smokewood. Interesting. Maybe I will have to try that. It sounds good.

Since I overdone those ribs a couple of years ago with hickory I have been afraid to use too many of one wood. I have yet not used more than 2 pieces of hickory on any smoke. Maybe that is why I like to mix it up.

I love a lot of smoke, so when I cook for others, I tone it down a little. Only 1 time did I think I over smoked something. I did 2 racks of spares one time and used to much Mesquite, which is easy to do with that wood.

Back